SCOTUS refuses to hear 2 gun rights cases

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

SCOTUS refuses to hear 2 gun rights cases

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1DR1SE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One case involved so called assault weapons in Md, the other involved open carry in Florida.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: SCOTUS refuses to hear 2 gun rights cases

Post by bignflnut »

Cert is granted when 4 of the 9 justices agree to take the case.

Here's the current roster:
Chief Justice
John Roberts- GW Bush
Associate Justices
Anthony Kennedy - Reagan
Clarence Thomas - HW Bush
Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Clinton
Stephen Breyer -Clinton
Samuel Alito - GW Bush
Sonia Sotomayor - Obama
Elena Kagan - Obama
Neil Gorsuch - Trump

There not being more than 3 votes to take the cases (Open Carry charge in Florida and AWB in Maryland), should we continue appealing to this body for solutions to State issues? Hopefully the citizenry of these states will pull together to upend the anti-2A powers they face.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Must be nice to pick and choose your workload...
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Well that pretty much sets the stage to have the AWB passed on a state level.
I see a Ohio constitutional amendment in our future funded by Bloomberg.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

TJW815 wrote:Must be nice to pick and choose your workload...
I've always agreed on that. It is estimated they hear about 100-150 cases a year. That is small compared to the estimated 7000 that apply to be heard every year. So do you backlog the court for decades or what? I know they take a long summer break, but still, to hear every case that is appealed to the Supreme Court in one year without a summer break would take.....35 years. So, any easy solution to it? Not that I could ever think of.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
I've always agreed on that. It is estimated they hear about 100-150 cases a year. That is small compared to the estimated 7000 that apply to be heard every year. So do you backlog the court for decades or what? I know they take a long summer break, but still, to hear every case that is appealed to the Supreme Court in one year without a summer break would take.....35 years. So, any easy solution to it? Not that I could ever think of.
Maybe they shouldn’t get a “long summer break”.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

TJW815 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
Maybe they shouldn’t get a “long summer break”.
That break is only about 4 months long. So at most they would ear another 75 cases. Still a far cry from the 7000 that apply.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yeah, but it sure would be nice to see them actually work a full year like the rest of us.
JediSkipdogg wrote:That break is only about 4 months long. So at most they would ear another 75 cases. Still a far cry from the 7000 that apply.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WY_Not wrote:Yeah, but it sure would be nice to see them actually work a full year like the rest of us.
JediSkipdogg wrote:That break is only about 4 months long. So at most they would ear another 75 cases. Still a far cry from the 7000 that apply.
Does any big legislative body work a full year? Yes, it would be nice if they do but remember, in some states the elected work on bill for one month each year and take the other eleven off. Technically they are suppose to be finding out what their people want for the next one month of work, but I'm sure most don't.

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

True. I'm torn on this one now. While it would be nice to see them forced to work a full time job I am also aware of the danger we are all in when they are in session. :mrgreen:

“No man’s life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session”
- Gideon J. Tucker

Sadly this applies to any and all branches nowadays.
JediSkipdogg wrote:Does any big legislative body work a full year? Yes, it would be nice if they do but remember, in some states the elected work on bill for one month each year and take the other eleven off. Technically they are suppose to be finding out what their people want for the next one month of work, but I'm sure most don't.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
High Power

Post by High Power »

bignflnut wrote:Cert is granted when 4 of the 9 justices agree to take the case.

Here's the current roster:
Chief Justice
John Roberts- GW Bush
Associate Justices
Anthony Kennedy - Reagan
Clarence Thomas - HW Bush
Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Clinton
Stephen Breyer -Clinton
Samuel Alito - GW Bush
Sonia Sotomayor - Obama
Elena Kagan - Obama
Neil Gorsuch - Trump

There not being more than 3 votes to take the cases (Open Carry charge in Florida and AWB in Maryland), should we continue appealing to this body for solutions to State issues? Hopefully the citizenry of these states will pull together to upend the anti-2A powers they face.
Let's pray that, at least, Breyer and Ginsburg leave while Trump is still in Office.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein