my back and forth w/ Senator Brown of Ohio

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

my back and forth w/ Senator Brown of Ohio

Post by JU-87 »

Hi all
The day after the Las Vegas mass murder, I emailed ALL my reps, saying basically:
" Regarding the recent mass murder in Las Vegas: My rights are not conditional on the behavior of criminals. Please vote NO on any gun control."

Here is anti-gun Senator Brown's response, then mine:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To:
Sent: Fri, Nov 10, 2017 7:17 am
Subject: Reply from Senator Sherrod Brown

Dear Mr. :

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the tragic shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Country Music Festival in Las Vegas, Nevada. I send my deepest sympathies to the families, friends, and communities of the victims and survivors whose lives have been forever impacted by this senseless act of violence.

I have always respected the Second Amendment rights of hunters, collectors, and other law-abiding gun owners, and no one intends to take away their guns. But when one man can slaughter more than 50 innocent people and injure 500 more, it’s clear something has to be done to protect Americans from gun violence.

From Sandy Hook Elementary School to the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, and now Las Vegas and Sutherland Springs, Texas, episodes of mass shootings in America have become far too common. And I refuse to believe that we are helpless in preventing senseless attacks of this nature from occurring again.

As legislators, we cannot truly say we are doing what it takes to keep Americans safe until we are willing to pass commonsense laws to keep weapons of war out of the hands of terrorists and violent criminals.

I voted in favor of an amendment that would have prevented individuals whom the government believes are a terror threat from buying guns. I believe that if a person is on the “No Fly List” because law enforcement believes that person is too dangerous to fly on an airplane, then that individual should also be considered too dangerous to buy a gun. I also voted in favor of a bill requiring every person purchasing a firearm, including purchases made online or at gun shows, to undergo the same background check that people go through at gun stores across Ohio every day. I am disappointed that both of these commonsense gun safety measures failed to pass the Senate in the past.

Las Vegas has once again put the spotlight on our nation’s gun laws, and it is my hope that Congress will be moved to act this time. I will work with my colleagues to support commonsense gun legislation. I am a co-sponsor of the Automatic Gunfire Prevention Act of 2017, which would prohibit the sale, import, or manufacture of bump stocks, which is the device that allowed the Las Vegas shooter to fire hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds into the crowd in such a short period of time. The National Rifle Association (NRA) has even come out in support of regulating bump stocks, so there is no reason Congress should not be able to act. While legislation will not prevent every shooting, commonsense safety measures can save lives.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

---------------------------------------------------------

sent 11/14/2017
Dear Senator Brown

Thank you for your response. It was what I expected you to write.

Are you aware that a single shot, muzzle-loading rifle was a "Weapon of War", and a "Assault Rife" when the US Constitution
(the one you swore to uphold, by the way) was ratified on June 21,1788? A lot of dead British soldiers could attest to that fact.
Technology advances. Take, for example, how you and I are communicating: by email.
Rifle tech has advanced in a similar manner.

We all know that "Ban's" work. Why don't we just "Ban " murder? Then it will NEVER happen again, and we can move on to
other important issues... (eye roll.)

Yet, you propose banning mainstream guns like the now ubiquitous AR-15 Rifle, "normal capacity" magazines, "Bump-Fire" Stocks ( I made my own for $5, two years ago!), and other accessories.
Nothing you propose would have prevented the Las Vegas mass murder, or the recent mass murder in a small church in Texas.

How about research into the mentally ill? Or maybe hotel security questioning why one guy is bringing a dozen long conspicuous cases up to his rented hotel room?
I think that would be a good starting point.

Based upon your voting record, I think that if you had your way, you would try to "take away people's guns".

But you can't. The Second Amendment, and MILLIONS of Citizens like myself won't let you.

I've decided to use my Liberal (pardon the pun!) vacation schedule to take time off to campaign for your opponent in the next election.

Wishing you health and a long life,
"my name"
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Brian D.

Re: my back and forth w/ Senator Brown of Ohio

Post by Brian D. »

It's great to engage these politicians in general, but you won't change any minds. So yeah, help out his opponent, and keep reminding Brown why.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Very good response :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Another I believe in the Second Amendment, BUT.
HancockCountyHaL
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

WhyNot wrote:Very good response :)
Yes, it was a very good response to senator brown's letter. But it just falls on deaf ears. He will follow all his fellow democrats on ANY gun control legislation that is submitted. Why waste any energy to convince otherwise.
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Kind of like a dog chasing it’s tail.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Sherrod Brown is a scripted, knee-jerk politico. That's why I thoroughly enjoyed the butt-chewing that Orrin Hatch gave him the other day.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.