Michigan to consider changes to CC in churches, schools

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Michigan to consider changes to CC in churches, schools

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/michigan-legis ... hi5VJQg8M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Michigan Senate committee approved bills Tuesday that will allow gun owners to carry concealed weapons in several gun-free zones, the Detroit Free Press reported.

The bill would allow people to carry guns at schools, churches, day care centers, stadiums and bars.
Senate Majority Leader Arlan Meekhof said the mass shootings make him more certain that now is the time to take up the gun legislation, the Free Press reported.

“Some have said it’s insensitive to bring up these issues now, but I feel quite the opposite, the Republican said. “The recent events will allow us to look at how we can deter those who want to do harm. And responsible, well-trained, licensed concealed-pistol holders can be one of those deterrents.”
Well, after a mass shooting in a criminal protection zone, anti gunners usually quickly respond that something must be done about it. (usually "the government must do something about it, pass new legislation) Somehow though, I doubt they will be happy that there demands are being acted on. :roll:
The bills taken up in the Senate Government Operations Committee passed on a party-line vote with Republicans supporting the three-bill package and Democrats opposing it. The bills also would close the open-carry loophole, effectively barring gun owners from openly carrying their weapons in gun-free zones.
"That’s the part that causes the schools to shut down and lose a day of educational experience for students, and that’s problematic," Meekhof said.
I don't understand what the article means by the bolded part, unless it means churches and school will be CC only.
Gun-free zones should be called “mass murderer empowerment zones,” said Steve Dulan, spokesman for the gun owners group.

But far more people were at the committee hearing to speak out against the bill, including school groups and Moms Demand Action, which has been fighting for more gun controls.
“Tragedies are going to happen. But we're concerned this change could create more accidental incidents
What accidental incidents is that? I've only heard of a few, and all but one involved either a cop or school resource officer. Even at that, I haven't heard of any accidental incidents that have killed a single person in a school, much less dozens of them.
and the additional training doesn’t come close to training an individual for high-intensity situations,” said Don Wotruba, executive director of the Michigan Association of School Boards. “Unless you’re trained for a military or police perspective, you're not well-trained.”
The bill also is expected to be amended on the Senate floor, perhaps as soon as Wednesday, to allow schools to prohibit employees from carrying concealed weapons in schools.
So it's going to allow CC in schools, for adults, but not student adults, and the school can prohibit employees from CC? The people who in there day in, day out, and who are generally familiar with everyone there, know the layout of the school, etc. :roll:
The legislation also would allow private businesses, such as bars, to declare themselves gun-free zones.

"We’re not going to pre-empt a private property owner's right to post for a weapon-free zone," said Meekhof's spokeswoman, Amber McCann.
I'm not familiar with Michigan law, but I thought private property owners could already do that.
:?:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Michigan to consider changes to CC in churches, schools

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
The legislation also would allow private businesses, such as bars, to declare themselves gun-free zones.

"We’re not going to pre-empt a private property owner's right to post for a weapon-free zone," said Meekhof's spokeswoman, Amber McCann.
I'm not familiar with Michigan law, but I thought private property owners could already do that.
They can, but, currently, bars don't have to as they are already statutory zones. What the article is saying is that even though the state will allow guns in those places now, the owner can still ban them.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Re: Michigan to consider changes to CC in churches, schools

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

They can, but, currently, bars don't to as they are already statutory zones. What the article is saying is that even though the state will allow guns in those places now, the owner can still ban them.
That sounds reasonable to me. If someone wants their place to be a criminal protection zone, at least they should have the honesty to tell people with a sign. In that way those people can distinguish themselves from the people who have places that aren't criminal protection zones. Also other people (parishioners, etc) can make an informed choice as to where they want to spend their time, money etc.