Ny investigators investigating NRA carry guard insurance

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ny investigators investigating NRA carry guard insurance

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/national/regul ... qdC3J0uyK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An insurance policy offered by the National Rifle Association is under scrutiny by insurance regulators after gun-control groups raised questions about how it's being marketed.

Carry Guard insurance was launched earlier this year by the nation's most powerful gun lobbying group and is being promoted to gun-owners as needed coverage to help cover civil and criminal legal costs in cases when they shoot someone in self-defense.

Gun-control advocates have called it "murder insurance," because they believe it would lull gun owners into a false sense of security and encourage them to shoot rather than try to avoid confrontations.

New York state financial regulators have launched an investigation into how it's being marketed and whether the NRA is illegally receiving commissions without proper licensing.
As far as the marketing, the ads I've seen so far seen pretty reasonable to me. (But then I don't have an anti gun bias) They don't imply in any way that you can just do whatever you want with a gun and they'll get you off scot free. :roll: Last time I checked, defending yourself against a robber, rapist or murderer was still legal, although maybe not in NY. :roll:
The NRA isn't the only group that has offered such insurance. The United States Concealed Carry Association has been in the business much longer and provides up to $2 million in civil costs and $250,000 for criminal defense.

But the NRA is the most prominent gun-rights group in the country, and it's drawing attention to a type of policy that was relatively obscure until now. The NRA offered similar insurance previously, but Carry Guard is more comprehensive and is being marketed more aggressively than in the past.
I haven't noticed that the ads are more aggressive than other companies ads, only that there are more of them. This makes sense, because the NRA has more ad money available to them than their competitors. I did however think it was wrong on the NRA's part to allegedly disenfranchise the other companies at the NRA convention, but not criminally wrong.
"NRA Carry Guard proves that for the NRA's leadership, no idea is too absurd, reckless or depraved," said Shannon Watts, founder of the Everytown-affiliated Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America. "For years, NRA lobbyists have pushed to allow guns for anyone, anywhere, anytime — no questions asked. Now they've figured out how to profit from gun owners concerned about being accused of murder. Carry Guard is just more proof that NRA leaders will do anything for money."
A woman I know had a response the the bolded, but it's probably not appropriate for a public forum. :shock:
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Ny investigators investigating NRA carry guard insurance

Post by Mustang380gal »

We've been considering this insurance vs the USCCC insurance. One of the providers pays up front, if I remember right. The other holds the money until you are proved not guilty. I think the NRA insurance holds onto the money until the court case is done. Assuming I have it right, that is hardly murder insurance, since you would have to be adjudicated not guilty to get legal bills paid.

Too bad NYC can't secede from the rest of NY. From what I hear, the state is more conservative, and lots of this nonsense comes from the city. The state's population is smaller than the city's and can't out vote them.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Sorry for the derail but, that right there is why the Electoral College is a must and why selecting Senators should be done by the States not by the people. Those processes/bodies were put in place for a reason.

On the OP, pretty telling that the NY AG didn't have an issue with the insurance the first time around when it was small (and easy to nip in the bud if there was an actual problem).

While I think that the insurance program is a good idea, I also agree that NRA needs to get back to it's original purpose, training and education. Quite sick of hearing about their latest insurance program, of hearing about their ringing endorsements of LifeLock, their latest discount on rental cars, etc, etc. Guess expecting them to put this much time and effort into promoting their safety programs is a bit much.
Mustang380gal wrote:Too bad NYC can't secede from the rest of NY. From what I hear, the state is more conservative, and lots of this nonsense comes from the city. The state's population is smaller than the city's and can't out vote them.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WY_Not wrote:Sorry for the derail but, that right there is why the Electoral College is a must and why selecting Senators should be done by the States not by the people. Those processes/bodies were put in place for a reason.

On the OP, pretty telling that the NY AG didn't have an issue with the insurance the first time around when it was small (and easy to nip in the bud if there was an actual problem).

While I think that the insurance program is a good idea, I also agree that NRA needs to get back to it's original purpose, training and education. Quite sick of hearing about their latest insurance program, of hearing about their ringing endorsements of LifeLock, their latest discount on rental cars, etc, etc. Guess expecting them to put this much time and effort into promoting their safety programs is a bit much.
I agree. Lately I've been getting what seems to be a lot of junk mail from NRA affiliated companies that have nothing to do with firearms or gun usage. (like carotid artery ultrasound screening packages at a local hospital, etc. ) :roll:
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Is anyone really surprised that the State of NY is trying to stop something that would make gun owners more comfortable???
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...