NRA Calls for ATF review of bumpfire stocks

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

NRA Calls for ATF review of bumpfire stocks

Post by Bruenor »

Is a new regulation or reversal of previous position better than a new gun control law ?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10 ... oting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The National Rifle Association, in its first statement on the Las Vegas shooting and in a rare break from its traditional opposition to gun-related regulations, called Thursday for a federal review of so-called bump stocks and suggested new rules might be needed for the device apparently used by the shooter in Sunday’s massacre.

“The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations,” the NRA said in a written statement.
The Obama administration’s ATF gave its seal of approval to selling the devices in 2010 after concluding that they did not violate federal law.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: NRA Calls for ATF review of bumpfire stocks

Post by WestonDon »

Bruenor wrote:Is a new regulation or reversal of previous position better than a new gun control law ?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10 ... oting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The National Rifle Association, in its first statement on the Las Vegas shooting and in a rare break from its traditional opposition to gun-related regulations, called Thursday for a federal review of so-called bump stocks and suggested new rules might be needed for the device apparently used by the shooter in Sunday’s massacre.

“The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations,” the NRA said in a written statement.
The Obama administration’s ATF gave its seal of approval to selling the devices in 2010 after concluding that they did not violate federal law.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. By doing this NRA is conceding the legitimacy of NFA34. That is not helpful.

My takeaway from the shooting in LV is that both NFA and NICS are useless in preventing mass murder. I would rather NRA go on the offensive and advance that argument instead of trying to just cut losses.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

You know I was just thinking yesterday, that I needed to give the NRA some money because I thought they could use it to help protect our gun rights. After what just happened I knew there would be a push for some kind of new ban or restriction. If the NRA is going to just roll over, then I really don’t see the point of giving them anything. I’d also like to add that I don’t own a bump stock, nor would I ever want one but that’s kinda besides the point.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

This is bad,... giving in to this is going down a rabbit hole. This will allow anything that improves performance such as triggers, fore grips, slings,and so on to be fair game for the ATF to slap REGS on. :twisted: WAY TO GO NRA.
Black Rifles Matter
propertymanager

Post by propertymanager »

Call the NRA at 800 672-3888 and let them know what you think of their betrayal! I did.
Mike
OFCC Member
mdoerner

Post by mdoerner »

I wasn't a bump stock fan...but I'll be damned if I'll let a lefty legislate a restriction...so:

1.) The bump stock was always a "work around" like the drop in auto sear....but the DIAS is a "machine gun" and a bump stock wasn't? Bureaucratic boondoggle.

2.) The 1939 Miller decision (the one that allowed sawed-off shotguns to be outlawed because they were not a "military firearm" and therefore not needed by the militia) that allows civilians to have military equipment....like AR-15's (and NOT classify them as "destructive devices" like the Maryland judge did...which should be overturned) and other military surplus firearms and "standard capacity" magazines...would still be intact.

3.) You can always "bump fire" the old fashioned way....without the bump fire stock.

So don't ban "bump stocks", just make them "machine guns" like the drop in auto sear, and put the NFA tax stamp on 'em. (And yes, it would have done nothing to stop this guy with no criminal record from getting 100,000 bump stocks if he was "rich" (which I doubt))

Too bad the Congress doesn't have the balls to tack on the CCW Reciprocity or Silencer bills to the "bump fire" legislation....but it's early.

Mike Doerner
Engineer Bill

Post by Engineer Bill »

It appears the NRA is trying to keep this out of congress because this is exactly what the liberals want, is to get the camel nose under the tent. That way they can add poison pill amendments to the bill as it moves about. Though it is entirely possible that a good House member or a good Senator may add a good pill like national reciprocity, though I am not confident that the Conservatives have the balls to allow that to happen, or even suppressor legislation.
Engineer Bill
Life/Benefactor NRA member, NRA Training Counselor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter; NRA RTBAV Instructor, OFCC member, Varmint Hunters Association member
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

mdoerner wrote:So don't ban "bump stocks", just make them "machine guns" like the drop in auto sear, and put the NFA tax stamp on 'em. (And yes, it would have done nothing to stop this guy with no criminal record from getting 100,000 bump stocks if he was "rich" (which I doubt))

Mike Doerner

This is kinda what I'm wondering might happen... change the definition of machine gun to include the bump fire stock. Allow an amnesty period to register such equipped firearms.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

WestonDon wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Is a new regulation or reversal of previous position better than a new gun control law ?

It doesn't have to be one or the other. By doing this NRA is conceding the legitimacy of NFA34. That is not helpful.

My takeaway from the shooting in LV is that both NFA and NICS are useless in preventing mass murder. I would rather NRA go on the offensive and advance that argument instead of trying to just cut losses.
Let it be known that OFCC adamantly OPPOSES additional gun regulations, period.
Email coming shortly
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
High Power

Post by High Power »

The next time the NRA sends a solicitation for donations in the mail just print out the statement below.

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/

After you print the statement take a bold marking pen and write two words on it with large letters.

I should not have to tell you what two words to write but here's a hint. The first word begins with the sixth letter of the alphabet. The second word begins with twenty-fifth letter of the alphabet.

After adding your edit to Lapierre and Cox's cowardly statement, mail it back to them with their solicitation.

With friends like the NRA why do we need anti-gun enemies?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
High Power

Post by High Power »

propertymanager wrote:Call the NRA at 800 672-3888 and let them know what you think of their betrayal! I did.
I called the number and after lengthy voice menus telling me which number to push, I got put on hold.

Another alternative is to go to this link and tell them what you think: https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/

Remember to have your membership number.

Here's what I told them:
With friends like the NRA, why do we need anti-gun enemies?

Mr. Lapierre and Mr. Cox must be fired from their jobs and banned from NRA membership. Their statement should be immediately retracted.

By their very statement they have added legitimacy to the NFA act of 1934 which was a completely worthless piece of legislation.

They have single-handedly pushed us down the slippery slope of more anti-gun legislation that we've been fighting against for years.

Mr. LaPierre and Mr. Cox; thank you for stabbing us in the back!

Don't expect any donations from me.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

(*cough*)

national RIFLE association won't defend rifle stocks or rifles.

Some will give them credit for "playing 3D chess" with the Swamp. Not I. They're the pied piper of gun owners; having bewitched them for years with their ads while undermining the citizen by licking the the Swamp Monsters boots. They're as filthy as the filthiest among them. Yet, all the organizations, all the FFLs, everybody is in such lockstep groupthink, in their effusive praise of this Rifle association that won't defend the right to keep and bear an inanimate object.

A corrupt society that praises a place called Sin City, (whose travel hook is that there are no consequences or judgement for your acts in this town) that has some access to weapons is a recipe for disaster.
So, what changes? The corrupt culture, or the access to weapons? Choose wisely.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Wasn't the NRA in support of NFA34 when it as implemented anyway? If so, it's not really a surprise that they'd throw a NFA workaround device under the bus..
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

High Power wrote: I should not have to tell you what two words to write but here's a hint. The first word begins with the sixth letter of the alphabet. The second word begins with twenty-fifth letter of the alphabet.
Quickly backpedaling...
LaPierre said of a bump stock, “I mean, any look at it, it takes a semi-automatic firearm and it makes it perform like a fully automatic firearm. It makes it function like one. And, what the NRA has said is, ‘We ought to take a look at that and see if it’s in compliance with federal law, and it’s worthy of additional regulation.’ That being said, we didn’t say ban. We didn’t say confiscate.”
Uh huh....how could we have ever doubted you? You sent the message. The message was received by the intended audience (swamp) and those looking to you to fight for their Rights. Let me tell you how the internet works, Mr. Frenchie...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I hope everyone got our recent email
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)