GOPe Corker out in 2018

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

GOPe Corker out in 2018

Post by bignflnut »

After much thought, consideration and family discussion over the past year, Elizabeth and I have decided that I will leave the United States Senate when my term expires at the end of 2018,” Corker said in an emailed statement.

The Senator, who last year was ranked the 23rd richest member of Congress with a net worth of roughly $18 million...
... and who as recently as March of last year was the subject of an insider trading probe which predictably has gone nowhere, said that “I have always been drawn to the citizen legislator model, and while I realize it is not for everyone, I believe with the kind of service I provide, it is the right one for me.”

Corker also said that “the most important public service I have to offer our country could well occur over the next 15 months, and I want to be able to do that as thoughtfully and independently as I did the first 10 years and nine months of my Senate career.”
Rats jumping ship.
Is Hank Williams Jr going to run?
Who's on the Tennessee bench?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: GOPe Corker out in 2018

Post by bignflnut »

Earlier this week, Tennessee Republican Sen. Bob Corker announced his intentions to retire in 2018. It didn't take long for some names to surface as possible candidates to replace him.

One of the names that has popped up is Peyton Manning. Yes, that Peyton Manning.

According to Republican Rep. Scott DesJarlais, the former Colts and Broncos quarterback may be eyeing a career in politics, though DesJarlais doesn't believe he'll run for Corker's seat in 2018. Instead, Manning could have his eye on Sen. Lamar Alexander's seat in 2020 if Alexander chooses not to seek re-election.
Do you want to throw half your fan base on the fire, or make commercials in perpetuity?
One seems more profitable and less headache prone than the other, but that's just me.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Maybe Manning feels that....nationwide, voters will be on his side?

Sorry.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Great article on how the GOPe is scared and running for the doors in the face of a resurgence in principled voters.
But Mr. Bannon will not silently let Republicans anoint Mr. Romney and has told associates he will mount a campaign to at least bloody the former Republican presidential nominee.

All of that indicates that 2018 could bring back the ferocious infighting of the Tea Party insurgency.

“We had a pretty rough patch back in 2010 and 2012, and just when that sort of calms down, here comes the next wave,” said Senator John Cornyn of Texas, the second-ranking Senate Republican. At least then, he added, the fury was more coherent: “It was more ideological, whereas now it’s just more everybody is just angry at everybody.”

Art Pope, an influential Republican donor in North Carolina, said he and other financial benefactors were growing impatient, a frustration borne out in the party’s dwindling fund-raising. The pressure is mounting for Republicans to secure real victories, he said, with tax reform now the overwhelming goal. And he echoed some newer Republican senators in saying he would favor changing Senate rules to make that more achievable by eliminating the legislative filibuster.

“The Republican Party needs to get legislation done,” Mr. Pope said. “Tax reform is at the forefront of everyone’s list right now. It’s disappointing that health care reform has not passed.”

Asked if the White House or congressional leaders had reached out to reassure him that things were under control, Mr. Pope shot back: “No. It is not under control.”

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Watch Hannity name Senate Republicans "weak and pathetic" (3:20)

Bannon declares war!