new ATF procedures for FFL handling private sales

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

new ATF procedures for FFL handling private sales

Post by Bruenor »

Interesting. Looks like this is telling me to never leave the firearm I am selling with the FFL, otherwise if the sale id denied, they have to 4473, and background check to transfer my own firearm back to me.. Don't know what the procedure was before so I don't know what the changes are.

http://tennesseefirearms.com/wp-content ... ms_0_0.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: new ATF procedures for FFL handling private sales

Post by Mr. Glock »

I don't think that is different from before...when your firearm enters the FFLs book, you have to do a 4473 to get it back out of the book.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

The 4473 had a section added for "private transfers", but now it sounds like they want the firearms information recorded.
Only way to do that is to transfer it into the dealers inventory so they have a record of who it came from as well as having the serial numbers involved.
Smells fishy to me.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

JimE wrote: Smells fishy to me.

Ditto that ^^
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

Its the same as ever. Once its in our book, except if it is in for repair, a it has to go through the process to give it back. Same as when we have consigned guns and they dont sell, the consigner comes to get them..... they have to do paperwork.

Interesting side note, if its a repair and a different person picks it up, they have to do the 4473 to get it (happens when a spouse picks up a repaired gun for the other etc). The interesting part is that this is the one and only time they do NOT say a Yes or No to the "Are you the actual buyer of the firearm?" question (11.a) , they leave it blank and do not answer.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Wouldn't the answer be Yes? At least here in Ohio? Thought we were a community property state. What is mine is hers and what is hers is mine. Although most of the time you hear it as "what is hers is hers and what is his is hers." :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

The spouse was just an example, could be a buddy etc too.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

WY_Not wrote:Wouldn't the answer be Yes? At least here in Ohio? Thought we were a community property state. What is mine is hers and what is hers is mine. Although most of the time you hear it as "what is hers is hers and what is his is hers." :mrgreen:
IANAL, etc.

But according to this and the section of the O.R.C. referenced:

" All of the property acquired by a couple during marriage is considered marital property and thus subject to division during the divorce process. Some states (not including Ohio) recognize "community property," in which all property is jointly owned..."

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/ohio-law/o ... -laws.html
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.