Virgin Islands declares emergency, pwr to take guns

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Virgin Islands declares emergency, pwr to take guns

Post by bignflnut »

U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Kenneth Mapp signed an emergency order allowing the seizure of private guns, ammunition, explosives and property the National Guard may need to respond to Hurricane Irma.

SNIP

The National Hurricane Center is calling the storm “extremely dangerous.” Weather forecasters say Irma is headed towards the Florida coastline, and should bring devastating conditions to the region in the next four or five days.

GOP Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló both declared states of emergencies in anticipation of Irma.
Dated article makes the point:
The United States has been in an uninterrupted state of national emergency since 1979. Here in 2014, we're not dealing with just one emergency - there are currently 30 of them in effect.

That's according to data on presidential declarations of emergency compiled by Gregory Korte of USA Today. "Those emergencies, declared by the president by proclamation or executive order, give the president extraordinary powers — to seize property, call up the National Guard and hire and fire military officers at will," Korte writes.
Toss out the laws, we're in a state of emergency...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Virgin Islands declares emergency, pwr to take guns

Post by Javelin Man »

So... the National Guard cannot bring their own guns, explosives, ammunition, etc. to help out so they need to seize private caches? How is that to help the rescue effort?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

"If you register your guns, it is for safety. We don't want to take your gun" said every anti-2A gun control advocate in history.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Excellent point....there is a registry for long guns and handguns...permit to purchase arms and/or ammo...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Did the Katrina bill ever get passed in Ohio?
I need to check Virginia law.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

I was talking to one of the guys that was mobilized to go to Katrina, they were ordered to seize weapons. The Platoon Sgt's put out that if any weapons were taken out of home they would be dealt with. His theory was if residents were able to go back home they would be able to protect themselves and loved ones and it is not right to take other peoples property.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

yogidave wrote:I was talking to one of the guys that was mobilized to go to Katrina, they were ordered to seize weapons. The Platoon Sgt's put out that if any weapons were taken out of home they would be dealt with. His theory was if residents were able to go back home they would be able to protect themselves and loved ones and it is not right to take other peoples property.
The NJ State Police did not see it that way. I remember a photo / story of an older black woman who lived in a questionable neighborhood handing over an old and worn revolver to the NJ cops (who were helping out down there). They asked her if she had a gun. She said yes, she was protected and showed it to them. And then they took it. Always wondered and hoped she made it through after the NJ cops took her only home protection. All good that we send charity, I wished I could have sent her one of my Glocks.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Why noone uses the 2nd Amendment as intended in these situations is beyond me.

Sorry, but nothing gets the point across of "come and get them" faster than flying lead. It just takes one to motivate a community to resist unlawful orders.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote:Did the Katrina bill ever get passed in Ohio?
I need to check Virginia law.
I seem to remember that bill withering on the vine here in Ohio, but I could be wrong. In any event the language in it didn't sound strong enough regarding consequences for those agencies who might ignore it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Mr. Glock wrote:
yogidave wrote:I was talking to one of the guys that was mobilized to go to Katrina, they were ordered to seize weapons. The Platoon Sgt's put out that if any weapons were taken out of home they would be dealt with. His theory was if residents were able to go back home they would be able to protect themselves and loved ones and it is not right to take other peoples property.
The NJ State Police did not see it that way. I remember a photo / story of an older black woman who lived in a questionable neighborhood handing over an old and worn revolver to the NJ cops (who were helping out down there). They asked her if she had a gun. She said yes, she was protected and showed it to them. And then they took it. Always wondered and hoped she made it through after the NJ cops took her only home protection. All good that we send charity, I wished I could have sent her one of my Glocks.
I haven't heard any reports of anyone trying this crap in Texas. Wonder why?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

ArmedAviator wrote:Why noone uses the 2nd Amendment as intended in these situations is beyond me.

Sorry, but nothing gets the point across of "come and get them" faster than flying lead. It just takes one to motivate a community to resist unlawful orders.
Probably because getting into an unwinnable gunfight with an overwhelming force is not helpful to the mission of taking care of one's family, which is one's first responsibility in a natural disaster.

You raise a valid point however. This is why we need a strong "Katrina bill", plus NO registration.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

WestonDon wrote:You raise a valid point however. This is why we need a strong "Katrina bill", plus NO registration.
Isn't the current process to obtain Concealed Carry Permit / License a registration of sorts? Don't you think they'd know who has handguns (at least)?

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

bignflnut wrote:
WestonDon wrote:You raise a valid point however. This is why we need a strong "Katrina bill", plus NO registration.
Isn't the current process to obtain Concealed Carry Permit / License a registration of sorts? Don't you think they'd know who has handguns (at least)?
To some extent, but a minor one. A CHL says you probably own one gun (at least, but that is a floor). Registration means they come to your house with a list of serial numbers to collect all your guns or you go to jail ( not helpful to your family in an emergency).

One should be ready for your scenario however., since that is how Hillary/Feinstien would do it if they could.

Good to see the NRA is stepping in legally. The NRA is not perfect, but it is pretty much all we've got in a powerful NGO fighting for the little guy.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

The NRA stepping in is a bit late.

The case was for the most part settled in 1901 in Downes vs Bidwell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downes_v._Bidwell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Not settled well but it was settled.

Justice John Marshall Harlan did make an excellent point though...

"The idea prevails with some, indeed it has expression in arguments at the bar, that we have in this country substantially two national governments; one to be maintained under the Constitution, with all its restrictions; the other to be maintained by Congress outside and independently of that instrument, by exercising such powers as other nations of the earth are accustomed to.... I take leave to say that, if the principles thus announced should ever receive the sanction of a majority of this court, a radical and mischievous change in our system will result. We will, in that event, pass from the era of constitutional liberty guarded and protected by a written constitution into an era of legislative absolutism.... It will be an evil day for American Liberty if the theory of a government outside the Supreme Law of the Land finds lodgment in our Constitutional Jurisprudence. No higher duty rests upon this court than to exert its full authority to prevent all violation of the principles of the Constitution."

Basically, Congress might have the authority to make laws governing territories but Congress is still bound by the U.S. Constitution.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

WestonDon wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:Why noone uses the 2nd Amendment as intended in these situations is beyond me.

Probably because getting into an unwinnable gunfight with an overwhelming force is not helpful to the mission of taking care of one's family, which is one's first responsibility in a natural disaster.
No doubt it'd likely not end well for the first few dissenters, but still if you can't commit to what we preach than why preach it at all? So much for the "cold dead hands" sentiment many of us spout around all willy-nilly. (Not directed at any one person, mind you. I mean this in general)

Just remember, our forefathers did not politely protest the British. They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king, march on the Capitol, or ask permission for their rights. They f***king shot them.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin