The issue Democrats wish would go away article

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

The issue Democrats wish would go away article

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ist-215186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although the article is a few months old, it is relevent to the most recent loss by the Dem's in Georgia. The losing candidate (Ossoff) is mentioned trying to dodge the issue of guns at first, then committing to opposing Campus carry. It also talked about Obama waiting until after his reelection before talking about gun control. Also how the anti gun activists changed their language. Although I disagree with some of their conclusions, the article is still interesting. There are many Democrat's in the news now talking about changing their party, but they don't seem to mention the gun issues. If they do, it's usually Democratic candidates giving lip service to gun rights, but not really meaning what they say, if they say anything at all.
Anti-gun activists “got smart,” according to The Atlantic, using the phrase “preventing gun violence” instead of “gun control” and showering praise on “law-abiding gun owners.”
I think the bolded part is a mistake or typo, based on how it's worded. Also I saw recordings of the Democratic debates, and she was clearly anti gun, and trying to use Sanders and Joe Manchin's voting record against them.

A bipartisan duo, both previously endorsed by the NRA, crafted the background check bill. Yet the effort still ran into a brick wall of NRA opposition, and four red-state Democratic senators joined most Republicans in a successful filibuster. Obama ended up with neither a gun control law nor an immigration reform law. I believe they meant to say anti gun.
Republicans suffered no consequences from their obstruction, taking nine Democratically held Senate seats, mainly in red states, to win full control of Congress in the 2014 midterms. Undeterred, 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton ran on the most explicitly pro-gun control platform since 2000, calculating that it would help her against Sanders in the primary and betting that Sandy Hook had changed the political equation for the general election.

It did not. As OpenSecrets reported after the 2016 election, “the NRA’s investment, which was more than any other outside group, paid for a slew of ads that directly targeted the same voters who propelled Trump to victory.”
The last part of the article,
At that point, Democrats won’t be able to sweep the gun issue under the rug. They will have to make a choice: to be or not to be the party of gun control. And if they are still going to be the party committed to reducing gun violence, they had best not waste time figuring out how to do it.
I don't believe is going to happen with the current Democratic party. You want to reduce gun crime? One of the best ways is going after the violent criminals themselves. It's been done before, and proven to reduce gun related crime, but Hillary took flak for it from activists within her own party.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: The issue Democrats wish would go away article

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
I think the bolded part is a mistake or typo, based on how it's worded. Also I saw recordings of the Democratic debates, and she was clearly anti gun, and trying to use Sanders and Joe Manchin's voting record against them.

A bipartisan duo, both previously endorsed by the NRA, crafted the background check bill. Yet the effort still ran into a brick wall of NRA opposition, and four red-state Democratic senators joined most Republicans in a successful filibuster. Obama ended up with neither a gun control law nor an immigration reform law. I believe they meant to say anti gun.
Republicans suffered no consequences from their obstruction, taking nine Democratically held Senate seats, mainly in red states, to win full control of Congress in the 2014 midterms. Undeterred, 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton ran on the most explicitly pro-gun control platform since 2000, calculating that it would help her against Sanders in the primary and betting that Sandy Hook had changed the political equation for the general election.

It did not. As OpenSecrets reported after the 2016 election, “the NRA’s investment, which was more than any other outside group, paid for a slew of ads that directly targeted the same voters who propelled Trump to victory.”
No, it's not a typo. It says she ran on a "pro-gun control" platform, not a pro-gun platform.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote: No, it's not a typo. It says she ran on a "pro-gun control" platform, not a pro-gun platform.
Oh, okay, sorry. Thanks for pointing that out. So now "anti gun" is "pro gun control".
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote: No, it's not a typo. It says she ran on a "pro-gun control" platform, not a pro-gun platform.
Oh, okay, sorry. Thanks for pointing that out. So now "anti gun" is "pro gun control".
They gotta sound positive.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Interesting article. I was just thinking on this topic the other day when I heard some interview with a Democrat going on and on endlessly about why they have lost the Presidency in the last election and why they have lost like 1000 state seats in recent years. He never once mentioned the gun control issue. I still maintain that in every election everywhere, whether federal, state or local, it is gun control which siphons off just enough votes and awards an edge to Republican opponents. Reminds me of my what my Dad said to me on the morning of November 9th...he said "you know, if Hillary hadn't been so anti-gun she would have easily won by a landslide last night."
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

glocksmith wrote:Interesting article. I was just thinking on this topic the other day when I heard some interview with a Democrat going on and on endlessly about why they have lost the Presidency in the last election and why they have lost like 1000 state seats in recent years. He never once mentioned the gun control issue. I still maintain that in every election everywhere, whether federal, state or local, it is gun control which siphons off just enough votes and awards an edge to Republican opponents. Reminds me of my what my Dad said to me on the morning of November 9th...he said "you know, if Hillary hadn't been so anti-gun she would have easily won by a landslide last night."
I don't think it wouldn't been by a landslide, but I think it would've made a difference. Of the people I know who are UAW members and registered as Democrats, it made some difference.
Prior to the election, the UAW mailed out large glossy ads showing the president of the UAW holding an over under shotgun, and in hunting clothing, saying basically "I own more now than I did 8 yrs ago," and no one is going to take away your guns, etc. The thing is though, the members aren't stupid. They knew Hillary wasn't going to write an exec order ordering gun confiscation, or get gun control legislation passed through a Republican Congress. The real issue was the Supreme Court. They knew Heller was only decided by one justice.

I think the most bizarre disconnect the Democrats have with gun control was the campaign of the guy running against Strickland for the Senate nomination. He paid for TV ads which ran in rural areas of Ohio, talking about Strickland's past pro gun votes and endorsements, while a graphic showed Strickland's face on an AR 15. The anti gun guy thought that was going to cause Strickland to lose support in rural Ohio. :lol:
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

M-Quigley wrote:I don't think it wouldn't been by a landslide, but I think it would've made a difference. Of the people I know who are UAW members and registered as Democrats, it made some difference.
Well...the stats say Hillary won the popular vote by +2.87 million more votes than Trump. The NRA claims membership of over 5 million. And, based on inaccurate measurements, something like 40% of citizens own the 280 million guns in private circulation. Making the reasonable assumption that gun owners and NRA members do not want to give up their guns and will not vote for an anti-gun candidate...you can also argue that if Hillary were pro-gun...she would have gained many of the above voters and won by a landslide (relative to the usual 51% vs. 49 outcomes we are accustomed to).
Give em' Hell Pike!!!