EMS teams trained to shoot

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

EMS teams trained to shoot

Post by bignflnut »

NO, this isn't about how fast you can spike nitro into a dude's heart....
We ain't talkin bout shootin antibiotics into an IV...
We're talking about the same lead you and I toss from the barrel of a rifle.
After the Aurora theater shooting in July 2012, EMS and law enforcement changed how they approached active shooter situations.

“It’s been a huge game-changer having tactical EMS medics with us,” Meyer said. “If one of our guys gets hurt, they can help right away. If we hurt a suspect — we try not to — we have people who can render aid.”

Does anyone really believe training EMS teams to shoot people will make everyone safer?

Ambulance company trains EMS to become good marksman

Riggs Ambulance company a family owned ambulance company of 60+ years has begun training tactical medics to work with SWAT teams, police departments and Sheriff departments. According to Riggs, their Medicsmeet all marksmanship requirements. (Click here, here, here & here to see more examples of EMS training with SWAT teams.)

EMS teams across the country are taking tactical combat casualty courses like, NAEMT TCCC Certification, NAEMT TECC Certification and CCEMS Basic Tactical Operational Medical Support.
Story full of links to various sources.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: EMS teams trained to shoot

Post by WestonDon »

Why not? I see this as no different than a corpsman carrying a pistol for self defense in battle. I do have one minor issue however, It creates one more class of citizens "allowed" to protect themselves in a CPZ. Why not me to? Huh?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I have no issues with EMS carrying firearms for self-protection. I used to carry as an EMT and I know plenty of others that did as well. EMT's often find themselves in situations that can turn south in a hurry with no law enforcement support.

Now, if we're blurring the line between with whether a particular person is EMS and/or law enforcement, I might have an issue with that. For example, if I call 911 and ask for EMS for a medical emergency, I don't want an ambulance to drive up staffed by law enforcement officers carrying aid bags.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

sodbuster95 wrote:I have no issues with EMS carrying firearms for self-protection. I used to carry as an EMT and I know plenty of others that did as well. EMT's often find themselves in situations that can turn south in a hurry with no law enforcement support.
So do other people in various walk of life / careers / professions. Shall we use tax-payer funding to train Real Estate agents to run tactical building clearing drills? They get a State license. They find themselves in dangerous neighborhoods with vacant homes.

The issue is that there's a law/ban placed on the general public (contrary to their Rights / the proper role of government) and then each lobbying group gets to lean on their State qualified training and role in society, asking for an exemption to the general ban (or accepting taxpayer funds for something so antithetical to their role). Let the EMTs join a group that advocates lifting the blanket ban, and NOT depend on their highly specialized role in society (but no, they're beholdant to the State for their licensing, so they're better than others) to obtain taxpayer funding.

Soon enough it will be a crime to carry a gun within x yards of an ambulance or a school bus, as they are extensions of hospitals and school buildings. Because they're special.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798