Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Post by Mustang380gal »

Are you planning to post the same every Monday until we get what we want?

Don't. Just don't.

Nattering Nabobs of Negativity are not helpful to anything, except to increased blood pressure and ulcers.

Anyone with eyes to see knows what is happening in Washington. We should be helping him by writing and calling congress critters, and sending letters to the editor about the seditious actions of the media and the intelligence community, not acting like spoiled children asking for Mine! Mine! Mine!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Gosh.
If I were silenced every time somebody on this board decided to get out a thesaurus of old Limbaugh sayings in order to call me names, I wouldn't have 5000+ posts. I guess spoiled nabobs of negativity shouldn't expect politicians to follow through on their promises? Everyone should just vote against a Democrat and be tickled pink (if that Democrat loses) to blindly follow the new POTUS. How are we pro-2A voters any different than the minority groups that have enabled Democrats all these years? The abusive relationship seems to be eerily similar.
The most disappointing part of the video promise about CPZs on Day One is that the comment was made in January, well after he had won election, and he no longer needed to pander to us for our votes. Yet we cheer for over-promise and under-deliver.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Fyi, "nattering nabobs of negativity" was coined by Spiro Agnew, not Limbaugh.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Brian D. wrote:Fyi, "nattering nabobs of negativity" was coined by Spiro Agnew, not Limbaugh.
That worked out well for Nixon's VP, huh?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

bignflnut wrote:Gosh.
If I were silenced every time somebody on this board decided to get out a thesaurus of old Limbaugh sayings in order to call me names, I wouldn't have 5000+ posts. I guess spoiled nabobs of negativity shouldn't expect politicians to follow through on their promises? Everyone should just vote against a Democrat and be tickled pink (if that Democrat loses) to blindly follow the new POTUS. How are we pro-2A voters any different than the minority groups that have enabled Democrats all these years? The abusive relationship seems to be eerily similar.
The most disappointing part of the video promise about CPZs on Day One is that the comment was made in January, well after he had won election, and he no longer needed to pander to us for our votes. Yet we cheer for over-promise and under-deliver.
I read a lot of online papers. There are a depressing amount of negativity all over. I miss the old days when there was kind of a honeymoon period when a new president was inaugurated. Now, there is no patience for anything, and the media is already harping on about finding grounds for impeachment. If the man didn't have to fight for every stinking thing he is trying to do, he might be able to get to some of the other things he said he would do.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I'm all for the honeymoon and honest deference for the office of POTUS as has been observed in the distant past (16+ years ago). It was an 8 yr honeymoon for Soetoro and a zero day honeymoon for Trump. You know that TPTB are hot about Trump and aren't going to give him an inch of space or a second of time. They gave W some time, but he was always a dumb establishment cowboy, and Cheney owned that administration, anyhow.

As for those whom he gave Day One promises, they were promised swift action eschewing a honeymoon. Brought that on himself.

I'm not advocating impeachment, you know that. He's the people's choice, and should hold the office, delivering on his appropriate agenda items (which got him elected). He's on defense, though, and that's not his strong suit, nor does it accomplish what needs to be done.

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I hope that Trump, his advisors and Congress take whatever time is necessary to carefully craft the reforms we seek. XO's are not the answer because as we have seen they can be undone by the next POTUS. Carefully considered legislation is the permanent answer. We have seen the chaos that results from the unintended consequences of ill conceived actions from Obamacare to Trump's immigration ban. Although I am not convinced that the collapse of Obamacare was unintended but that's a rant for another day. There could be some pretty ugly unintended consequences to gun rights if not done properly.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Looks like the Social Security ban overturn has been at the POTUS workstation for a week plus. (57-43 Senate and 235-180 in the House)

:D CPAC was great, wasn't it? :D

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:Looks like the Social Security ban overturn has been at the POTUS workstation for a week plus. (57-43 Senate and 235-180 in the House)

There's something about the SS ban that confuses me, perhaps I've got the wrong information. Wasn't the SS ban some kind of executive order or ruling? Why does it even take a bill from the legislative branch to overturn it anyway? Or will doing it this way stop future presidents from re enacting it?
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

M-Quigley wrote:There's something about the SS ban that confuses me, perhaps I've got the wrong information. Wasn't the SS ban some kind of executive order or ruling? Why does it even take a bill from the legislative branch to overturn it anyway? Or will doing it this way stop future presidents from re enacting it?
Yes, it was a rule from The Social Security Administration (SSA) that was finalized in December of 2016, but it had been public since May of 2016...and that came from DOJs 2013 recommendation
On January 16, 2013, the President issued a Memorandum to Federal departments and
agencies aimed at further strengthening the accuracy and efficiency of the
Federal background check system for firearms purchases.

The President directed the Department of Justice (DOJ) to provide guidance to
agencies regarding the identification and sharing of relevant Federal records and their submission to the NICS
; DOJ provided its guidance to agencies in March 2013.

SNIP

Therefore, DOJ has determined that to comply with the NIAA, we
must report to the Attorney General information about some of our title II and title XVI beneficiaries.
So, it's been cooking for a little while. #MakingNICSGreatAgain
I suppose that a legislative branch action does seem to overcome whatever objections may come from the executive branch in the future. The politics of it is easy...an easy "win" for the RKBA voters to enjoy. (see, we did something.)

Hope that clarified instead of clouded the issue.

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
bignflnut wrote:Looks like the Social Security ban overturn has been at the POTUS workstation for a week plus. (57-43 Senate and 235-180 in the House)

There's something about the SS ban that confuses me, perhaps I've got the wrong information. Wasn't the SS ban some kind of executive order or ruling? Why does it even take a bill from the legislative branch to overturn it anyway? Or will doing it this way stop future presidents from re enacting it?
This was a regulation that went into effect before Trump's inauguration so he had no authority to overturn it without getting the SSA to go through an entire rule making process again, something they probably would fight him on. A legislative overruling was the simplest way.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

And a legislative ruling means that it cannot come back again under another president in a similar form as an EO.

Something about a law that the legislators can overturn executive orders, but I cannot find that now. Congress is intent on taking down many of Obama's EO this way, as I understand it.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

For a giggle

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

(Younger Michael MacDonald / Dan Fouts Look alike)Barded CBS News WH Correspondent sayeth:
Mark Knoller‏Verified account @markknoller

Without ceremony, Pres Trump also signed bill nullifying Obama Admin rule providing Social Security info for gun buyer background checks.

2:03 PM - 28 Feb 2017
Story from Breitbart

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

More progress:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017030 ... ammunition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The NRA applauds Secretary Zinke’s decision to withdraw Director’s Order No. 219, a decree imposed on the final day of the Obama presidency to ban the use of lead ammunition and fishing tackle on national wildlife refuges. Says NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox: “This was a reckless, unilateral overreach that would have devastated the sportsmen's community."
But I'm sure Trump had nothing to do with it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!