Minnesota drops Ohio

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

HancockCountyHAl

Minnesota drops Ohio

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

States with Laws NOT Similar to Minnesota (not valid in Minnesota)
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-di ... ocity.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HancockCountyHaL
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Minnesota drops Ohio

Post by JustaShooter »

Anyone have any idea what changed that caused them to drop Ohio?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

JustaShooter wrote:Anyone have any idea what changed that caused them to drop Ohio?
Minnesota is a dedicated Blue State...they're probably still mad about the election. :D

EDIT: Seriously, though, the answer might be embedded somewhere in here : https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JustaShooter wrote:Anyone have any idea what changed that caused them to drop Ohio?
It might be their training requirement. They require training within one-year of both an application and renewal.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Just another reason for interstate reciprocity.

:?
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Just another reason for interstate reciprocity.

True that, I was thinking the same thing.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I don't see myself visiting Somaliland anytime soon anyway. Zero bearing on my life.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

pirateguy191 wrote:I don't see myself visiting Somaliland anytime soon anyway. Zero bearing on my life.

Unfortunately, my employer is headquartered there. I will eventually have to go... :(
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Handgunlaw.us quoting MN BCA wrote: “After researching the laws of other states and communicating with their representatives, four states are no longer eligible for reciprocity because their
state laws include age and training exemptions that are “NOT similar” to Minnesota laws that mandate a minimum age of 21 and require specific Permit to
Carry training for all applicants. These states are: Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.”
http://www.handgunlaw.us/notices.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

techguy85 wrote:
Handgunlaw.us quoting MN BCA wrote: “After researching the laws of other states and communicating with their representatives, four states are no longer eligible for reciprocity because their
state laws include age and training exemptions that are “NOT similar” to Minnesota laws that mandate a minimum age of 21 and require specific Permit to
Carry training for all applicants. These states are: Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.”
http://www.handgunlaw.us/notices.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exactly - but, what has changed that caused them to drop us? We have not changed age requirements or training requirements for applicants in the past year, and the only recent change was the drop from 12 to 8 hours of training, which still meets their training requirements as I understand them. My suspicion is that, as the late Tweed Ring would say, elections have consequences. Their liberal governor and Attorney General have got their panties in a wad about the election and went deep-diving into the laws of the states they recognize looking for anything they can seize on, and noticed something which has always been the case - that is, they require the training to be within 1 year, whereas we allow the training to be valid for 3 years, and they require additional training before each renewal while we do not. In other words, much like what happened with VA a number of months back.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

MN requires training every time you renew, which Ohio required at one point. We no longer do.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

JustaShooter wrote:
techguy85 wrote:
Exactly - but, what has changed that caused them to drop us? We have not changed age requirements or training requirements for applicants in the past year, and the only recent change was the drop from 12 to 8 hours of training, which still meets their training requirements as I understand them. My suspicion is that, as the late Tweed Ring would say, elections have consequences. Their liberal governor and Attorney General have got their panties in a wad about the election and went deep-diving into the laws of the states they recognize looking for anything they can seize on, and noticed something which has always been the case - that is, they require the training to be within 1 year, whereas we allow the training to be valid for 3 years, and they require additional training before each renewal while we do not. In other words, much like what happened with VA a number of months back.
I see, that could be it, I guess. Not an issue for me because I don't visit MN but bummer for those that do. This is why I think states should be pushed toward Universal recognition. (and not so sure I think it should be by the federal government, although it is tempting to cram a taste of their own medicine back down their throats, see LEOSA, GFSZA, etc.)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djthomas wrote:MN requires training every time you renew, which Ohio required at one point. We no longer do.
That's probably the excuse the new lefties were looking for. That training requirement for renewal--what a pant load of hooey! I'd love to lock politicians like that in a room and force them to answer my question about '"Why is it that Indiana, with NO training requirement, has no more safety issues with firearms than the states who DO have such a stipulation?"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Just another reason for interstate reciprocity.

Pulling the crap that they are, in my opinion, actually hurts "their" agenda in the long run, while making our argument stronger if you ask me.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

So what it's too cold to go there anyway! :lol:
God made man, Colt made them equal