Use Amnesty to Roll back 2A infring. (Trump)

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Use Amnesty to Roll back 2A infring. (Trump)

Post by JU-87 »

8) 8) 8) :) :)

Using Amnesty to Roll Back Second Amendment Infringements

A little known law, passed concurrently with the Gun Control Act of 1968, offers the Trump administration a powerful lever. That lever can be used to roll back infringements on the Second Amendment that exist in the National Firearms Act of 1934.
The National Firearms Act (NFA) is an ill-conceived omnibus gun control legislation passed in 1934. It was poorly written by an ascendant Franklin Roosevelt administration. It was designed to outlaw the possession of handguns through draconian taxes and regulation. The tax stamp for a single item was equivalent to a years income for a laborer. Thrown in the mix were machine guns (to add some pizazz, they were not a real problem), silencers (for no known reason), and sawed off rifles and shotguns (because it made no sense to outlaw handguns, when anyone could make a handgun from a rifle or shotgun with a hack saw and 15 minutes)...

When the Gun Control Act of 1968 was passed, the Congress concurrently passed a bill to allow an amnesty for people who had unregistered NFA items. No fingerprints or tax was required. Fill out a paper form and send it in, and your NFA item was registered. The initial amnesty was for 30 days in 1968, from October 2nd to November 1st. The law contained a provision for further amnesties at the discretion of the Secretary of the Treasury. They only needed to be announced beforehand in the Federal Register. From PUBLIC LAW 90-619-OCT. 22, 1968, found on page 1236 of United States Statutes at Large Volume 82.djvu/1278: ...
http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/11/us ... econd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

©2016 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
FormerNavy

Re: Use Amnesty to Roll back 2A infring. (Trump)

Post by FormerNavy »

So for the sake of argument, what's the angle here? Isn't the amnesty period a period to register unregistered NFA items - not make new ones? I would think the making of something new would still be illegal. If I'm wrong, then I'd love that... I'd Form 1 a machine gun so fast it wouldn't even be funny...
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

JU-87 wrote:
A little known law, passed concurrently with the Gun Control Act of 1968, offers the Trump administration a powerful lever. That lever can be used to roll back infringements on the Second Amendment that exist in the National Firearms Act of 1934.
We have both houses of congress and a president elect who says he is sympathetic to our cause. I say we go for the jugular and repeal 'em both.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

How about for now just repealing the '86 act that outlawed production of new fully transferable full autos so you don't have to be rich to buy one? Or would that hurt the value of the current owners collections too much?
mreising

Post by mreising »

M-Quigley wrote:How about for now just repealing the '86 act that outlawed production of new fully transferable full autos so you don't have to be rich to buy one? Or would that hurt the value of the current owners collections too much?
It might hurt the value of the collections, but those values were artificially inflated due to a government action. Sometimes you make a good investment and sometimes you don't. The Hughes Amendment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 needs to be repealed,it is what added the ban on "new" machine guns:
18 U.S.C. § 922

(o)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.

(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to—

(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.
It should be noted that the Hughes Amendment to the FOPA passed on a voice vote but failed on a recorded vote in the House. Charles Rangel, the POS Representative from NY (sorry, I mean the Dem. Representative from NY) ignored the results of the recorded vote and declared it passed on the voice vote. Just remember, gun control advocates do not play fair.

As far as moving forward, I don't think we want to see wholesale elimination of the FOPA '86 because there were some good parts of it. Would I rather see wholesale elimination of the NFA of 1934 and the GCA of 1968? OF COURSE! However, let's at least push for removal of one of Reagan's worst acts when he signed this bill.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Personally, I could not care less about the value of the collections of some few people when weighed against restoring the rights of EVERYONE. No pity or sympathy for those who would benefit at the expense of everyone else.
M-Quigley wrote:How about for now just repealing the '86 act that outlawed production of new fully transferable full autos so you don't have to be rich to buy one? Or would that hurt the value of the current owners collections too much?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Trump is already reneging on his promise to investigate Hillary. I fear all his positions may change.
HancockCountyHaL
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I was wondering about that boatload of Garands and parts which were to be imported back into the US from S. Korea. I heard that Obama blocked the deal. With a Trump Administration will it now be possible to get them back into the country and into civilian hands where they belong?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:Trump is already reneging on his promise to investigate Hillary. I fear all his positions may change.
This. While I'm sure his reversal on some promises may be a relief to many, this is one I hope he keeps.
docachna

Post by docachna »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:Trump is already reneging on his promise to investigate Hillary. I fear all his positions may change.
And that one was sort of "front and center" the whole campaign ???? And it's DOA in under 2 weeks ????

I'm not optimistic. :cry:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

mreising wrote:
It might hurt the value of the collections, but those values were artificially inflated due to a government action. Sometimes you make a good investment and sometimes you don't. The Hughes Amendment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 needs to be repealed,it is what added the ban on "new" machine guns.
I understood that, I was being sarcastic, but forgot to put in the :roll:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

docachna wrote:
And that one was sort of "front and center" the whole campaign ???? And it's DOA in under 2 weeks ????

I'm not optimistic. :cry:
I said to someone before the 8th that if he got elected he wasn't going to try or be able to do most of what he promised. The main difference between him and Hillary for me was if she had been elected, she would've nominated SCOTUS judges similar to Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Also if the House and Senate go Democratic in 2 yrs there would be nothing holding back any federal gun legislation. With all 3 branches of government anti gun you could potentially have a far different situation r/t federal gun rights than you have now. Trump however actually put out a list of Judges that he would pick from, and that list is a pretty good list from a 2A standpoint. As far as I know right now he is still planning on keeping that promise at least.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I would not be surprised if during some meeting Trump was told "You keep talking about investigating Clinton and I'll just give her a presidential Pardon". I doubt an investigation would turn up anything at this point anyway and think it would have been a total waste of time.
GWC

Post by GWC »

[quote="HancockCountyHAl"]Trump is already reneging on his promise to investigate Hillary. I fear all his positions may change.[/]

Actually, he has not.

Misreporting by the NYT, which has since been echoed by the rest of the media.

If you read the transcript of Trump's sit down with the NYT,
you will find ambiguous responses to their questions that with
a combination of wishful thinking and out right spin the NYT makes it look like he has rolled back most of what he ran on.

The NYT wouldn't spin a story, right?

It's just like the stories saying Trump is backing down from a registry of Muslims in the US.

Trump never said he make a Muslim registry, only the MSM did. So he is not backing down by disavowing it.

Never believe the MSM. They lie without even trying. I worked almost three decades for the MSM doing technical work, and I know what they are.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

mreising wrote:The Hughes Amendment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 needs to be repealed,it is what added the ban on "new" machine guns:
18 U.S.C. § 922

(o)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.

(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to—

(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.
It should be noted that the Hughes Amendment to the FOPA passed on a voice vote but failed on a recorded vote in the House. Charles Rangel, the POS Representative from NY (sorry, I mean the Dem. Representative from NY) ignored the results of the recorded vote and declared it passed on the voice vote. Just remember, gun control advocates do not play fair.

As far as moving forward, I don't think we want to see wholesale elimination of the FOPA '86 because there were some good parts of it. Would I rather see wholesale elimination of the NFA of 1934 and the GCA of 1968? OF COURSE! However, let's at least push for removal of one of Reagan's worst acts when he signed this bill.
Repeal of the Hughes Amendment might be doable, but I'm not holding out great hopes. Some great argument can be made for the Hearing Protection Act, and all the counter-arguments can be mocked as fear-mongering and Hollywood hype. However, attempting to repeal NFA '34 or GCA '68 would cause all the Chicken Little's in America to cry out in unison, and a lot of GOP legislators, particularly in blue states, would bite the dust in 2018.

Yes, I'm sure there are some who would insist that's not true. Those folks need to emerge from their echo chambers and realize how few people think like they do.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.