2017 US Senate

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

2017 US Senate

Post by bignflnut »

So, they say that Republicans are marching to victory all over the nation. The POTUS, House and Senate are Red...

Woooooah Nelly.

The US Senate is 51-49 and do we really think that those 51 are rock ribbed people of principle? Or do we have some John (Forrestal) McCain types that are simply RINOs who have a new 6 year term?

IDK how Trump is going to gain the votes necessary to get SCOTUS and key legislation through this goalie...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 2017 US Senate

Post by JustaShooter »

I couldn't agree more - since most legislation needs a 60 vote majority to proceed, his ability to get things done *even if* the Rs are solidly with him is questionable. If the Ds choose to wield the power of the filibuster and hold back votes for cloture, that ends Trump's agenda even before it gets started.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
marca

Post by marca »

Trump will have to use his pen and his phone ...
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

New ball game after 1/20/17, maybe with some new rules, that might disrupt 'business as usual' in D.C.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:I couldn't agree more - since most legislation needs a 60 vote majority to proceed, his ability to get things done *even if* the Rs are solidly with him is questionable. If the Ds choose to wield the power of the filibuster and hold back votes for cloture, that ends Trump's agenda even before it gets started.
The Democratic Party is licking its wounds and desperately trying to rebuild its brand. They will need to choose their battles wisely, or they will appear blatantly obstructionist. Given that they have spent the last eight years accusing Republicans of obstructionism, they don't want to tarnish their image any more than they already have. Sure, they will attempt to block some legislation, but they will need to determine what is really important to them, particularly if they want to get any of their pet projects funded.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Werz wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I couldn't agree more - since most legislation needs a 60 vote majority to proceed, his ability to get things done *even if* the Rs are solidly with him is questionable. If the Ds choose to wield the power of the filibuster and hold back votes for cloture, that ends Trump's agenda even before it gets started.
The Democratic Party is licking its wounds and desperately trying to rebuild its brand. They will need to choose their battles wisely, or they will appear blatantly obstructionist. Given that they have spent the last eight years accusing Republicans of obstructionism, they don't want to tarnish their image any more than they already have. Sure, they will attempt to block some legislation, but they will need to determine what is really important to them, particularly if they want to get any of their pet projects funded.
Could be, it will be interesting to watch - I've seen evidence that they are planning on being vindictive and just as obstructionist as the Rs have been, but I have also seen evidence of a more conciliatory tone. I think we will be able to tell a lot from how the current power / leadership struggle shakes out.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Seems to me that an infrastructure bill might be the perfect vehicle for inclusion of several pro-gun amendments.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

schmieg wrote:Seems to me that an infrastructure bill might be the perfect vehicle for inclusion of several pro-gun amendments.
Yeah, sure, why not? We got National Park carry as part of a "credit card reform" bill. Maybe we can get carry on Army Corps of Engineer, TVA, etc. property as part of legislation dealing with wheat futures in Puerto Rico or something.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

The Dems have been the obstructionists in the Senate for the last several years. The Rs had the majority but not enough votes for cloture; it's just an even smaller majority now. The Republicans just have to have some balls and point out when the Dems are blocking votes on issues. Some things don't need 60 votes, just a majority and those will pass.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
High Power

Post by High Power »

mreising wrote:The Dems have been the obstructionists in the Senate for the last several years. The Rs had the majority but not enough votes for cloture; it's just an even smaller majority now. The Republicans just have to have some balls and point out when the Dems are blocking votes on issues. Some things don't need 60 votes, just a majority and those will pass.
DITTO. Don't forget that they will use the leftist media to spin whatever story that comes out of Capitol Hill.

Recall the "Republican Revolution" of 1994. The Republicans took the House and Senate but the Democrats acted like they were still in charge. What's worse was that the Republicans didn't think they were in charge except for men like Newt Gingrich. Look what the leftist media did to him.

All that I can remember was that the Republicans passed some economic reforms that Slick Willy signed into law. The only reason that he signed them into law was because he knew that if the real news got out; he would look bad. The economy improved, due to the economic reforms that the Republicans started, but Slick Willy took credit for it.

When he did take credit for the economic recovery, the Republicans let him do it without saying anything.

The leftist media and the Democrats will not go down easy. Watch and you'll see some of the RINOS cave to the leftist media propaganda.

Also realize that in 2018 there are 33 Senate seats up for reelection. Eight of them are Republican seats.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Normally, the president gets credit for or blame for the economy even when it is more often Congress that is responsible for it. However, no one seems to remember the recession that Clinton left us with that we were just starting to climb out of when 9/11 hit.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
A_F

Post by A_F »

High Power wrote:
mreising wrote:
All that I can remember was that the Republicans passed some economic reforms that Slick Willy signed into law. The only reason that he signed them into law was because he knew that if the real news got out; he would look bad. The economy improved, due to the economic reforms that the Republicans started, but Slick Willy took credit for it.

When he did take credit for the economic recovery, the Republicans let him do it without saying anything.
if you have time can you post links to some examples? I was pretty young and wasnt paying attention, sounds like interesting reading.

but i wouldnt know where to start looking since i dont know any names or specific bills.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

A_F wrote:
High Power wrote:
mreising wrote:

if you have time can you post links to some examples? I was pretty young and wasnt paying attention, sounds like interesting reading.

but i wouldnt know where to start looking since i dont know any names or specific bills.
Welfare reform was one of the biggest examples, giving incentives for those on welfare to seek employment. That was one of the first things that Obama and the Democrat Congress reversed.
-- Mike

mreising

Post by mreising »

High Power wrote:
mreising wrote:

I was misquoted in the above. That was not my post, I think that was part of High Power's quote by A_F and some how just my name posted where I was embedded in his quote.
Last edited by mreising on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
mreising

Post by mreising »

A_F wrote:

Don't forget the government shutdowns during the Clinton administration ('95 and '96 IIRC). The Republicans sent him spending bills, which he vetoed, and then the Dems and the media blamed the Republicans for the shutdowns. Unfortunately, the Republican Congress didn't have the fortitude to correct the media and defend themselves; they just rolled over and peed themselves like a subservient dog.

Mark