Five Fast Gun Reforms President Trump Will Sign

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Five Fast Gun Reforms President Trump Will Sign

Post by bignflnut »

Careful there with NICS...repeal and forget is a better position...
Ending Gun-Free Zones On Military Bases
SNIP
National Concealed Carry Reciprocity
SNIP
Legalizing Silencers
SNIP
NICS Background Check Reform

Gun control supporters want a “universal” background checks on all gun purchases in order to create a de facto gun registry… and that’s just not going to happen. What is going to happen is that President Trump, the House, and Senate are going to work on legislation to close the gaping holes in the existing background check system so that it is more effective, ensuring better and more accurate updating of prohibited persons. This will likely run in conjunction with mental health reform to both help people in crisis obtain the help they need, and ensure that fears of losing their Second Amendment rights won’t keep people from seeking help for a temporary but important mental health crisis.

Allow Importation of Collectable Historical Firearms
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Five Fast Gun Reforms President Trump Will Sign

Post by Mr. Glock »

Prosecute felons trying to buy guns or have guns on them....solves many issues.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

bignflnut wrote:Careful there with NICS...repeal and forget is a better position...
Ending Gun-Free Zones On Military Bases Especially areas open to the public. For instance the Air Force museum at WPAFB.
SNIP
National Concealed Carry Reciprocity I'm a little leary of getting the feds involved in CC. Maybe if they don't attempt to add any federal regulations it'd be OK.
SNIP
Legalizing Silencers OK but I'd prefer to just go for the jugular and repeal NFA 34 entirely.
SNIP
NICS Background Check Reform Agree with bignflnut. Repeal and forget.

Gun control supporters want a “universal” background checks on all gun purchases in order to create a de facto gun registry… and that’s just not going to happen. What is going to happen is that President Trump, the House, and Senate are going to work on legislation to close the gaping holes in the existing background check system so that it is more effective, ensuring better and more accurate updating of prohibited persons. This will likely run in conjunction with mental health reform to both help people in crisis obtain the help they need, and ensure that fears of losing their Second Amendment rights won’t keep people from seeking help for a temporary but important mental health crisis.

Allow Importation of Collectable Historical Firearms
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Mr. Glock wrote:Prosecute felons trying to buy guns or have guns on them....solves many issues.
I agree with this with a great big BUT we need to have a more limited definition of just who is prohibited and why than the overly broad term "felon".
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Mr. Glock wrote:Prosecute felons trying to buy guns or have guns on them....solves many issues.
The problem is keep in mind not all felonies are disqualifiers. And some misdemeanors are. If I am technically disqualified, but go to a gun store and get a proceed when a NICS is done, should I be prosecuted for that? It happens all the time and people post on here about it.

And should someone that steals my laptop from my vehicle be prohibited from owning a firearm?

Also before one can fully go that route, one needs to fix the broken system. Ohio alone is dumping 10.8 million at the state level to fix BCI. That doesn't include the broken system at the police and court levels.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
shootsome

Post by shootsome »

I'd like to see some teeth put in the Firearms Owners Protection act to keep activist Prosecutors from prosecuting people that should be protected by the act.
A 364 day sentence for anyone that prosecutes a person transporting an unloaded cased firearm in there vehicle or checked baggage would seem appropriate.
mreising

Post by mreising »

shootsome wrote:I'd like to see some teeth put in the Firearms Owners Protection act to keep activist Prosecutors from prosecuting people that should be protected by the act.
A 364 day sentence for anyone that prosecutes a person transporting an unloaded cased firearm in there vehicle or checked baggage would seem appropriate.
Why stop there? Make it 366 days so the activist police and prosecutors are prohibited from possessing firearms.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
shootsome

Post by shootsome »

Always best to leave the door open for reform.
odskaggs2

Post by odskaggs2 »

WestonDon wrote:
I agree with this with a great big BUT we need to have a more limited definition of just who is prohibited and why than the overly broad term "felon".
Ohio actually does have a more limited definition. Violent and or drug related are the felony qualifiers in Ohio. So go to prison in Ohio for stealing a dozen laptops and you are probably not a prohibited person depending on the charges. To be fair though very few felonies in Ohio are non violent and or non drug related but some do exist. Ohio also happens to list what felonies are considered violent so no guessing required.