Trump's Supreme Court Nominees

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Trump's Supreme Court Nominees

Post by High Power »

This is an old article but what does everyone think? Who would be a good choice to replace Scalia? Does anyone know anything about them? Trump's list of Supreme Court nominees are:

Mike Lee — U.S. Senator, Utah
Neil Gorsuch — Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Margaret Ryan — Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
Edward Mansfield — Justice, Iowa Supreme Court
Keith Blackwell — Justice, Georgia Supreme Court
Charles Canady — Justice, Florida Supreme Court (and a former Congressman)
Timothy Tymkovich — Chief Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Amul Thapar — Judge, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
Frederico Moreno — Judge, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Robert Young — Chief Justice, Michigan Supreme Court

Full article: http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2 ... minees.php
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
walnut red

Re: Trump's Supreme Court Nominees

Post by walnut red »

I'm just hoping the Republicans in Congress can summon up the courage to delay an Obama appointment for a few more months. Not something I'd be willing to bet on.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I believe the Dems could still deploy the nuclear option to confirm Obama's nominee.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Mike Lee.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Obama's appointee was DOA. With the election results...it appears the Republicans have 51 senators which is not filibuster proof BUT the Democrats have provided a handy precedent by foregoing filibuster over judicial nominees...ie the "nuclear option"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ar-option/

The Republicans have stood up on Scalia's replacement and they need to go ahead and do what we sent them for, return the favor on the nuclear option and ram through conservative nominees, not only at the SCOTUS but also the judges all the way down that they have been slow walking. For the Second Amendment, this could well be a huge watershed because these are the judges who will ultimately decide the meaning of "reasonable regulation".
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
High Power

Post by High Power »

catfish86 wrote:The Republicans have stood up on Scalia's replacement and they need to go ahead and do what we sent them for, return the favor on the nuclear option and ram through conservative nominees, not only at the SCOTUS but also the judges all the way down that they have been slow walking. For the Second Amendment, this could well be a huge watershed because these are the judges who will ultimately decide the meaning of "reasonable regulation".
Well said. The politicians like to talk about "getting along" but politics is not about compromise. It's about getting what you want without the other guy being able to do anything about it. That's the way the anti-gunners have operated for years. It's pay-back time.

We need to keep our congressman and senator's numbers on speed-dial.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

WestonDon wrote:I believe the Dems could still deploy the nuclear option to confirm Obama's nominee.
Oops. I totally forgot that the Republicans got control of the Senate since the donks pulled that stunt. :oops: I guess sometimes I just can't tell the difference.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

All that is required is to nominate a judge who believes the constitution means what it says. It's not difficult and it doesn't have to be complicated.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

How Many Justices Will Trump Get to Appoint?

No one doubts a new Trump-appointed Justice will take his or her place on the court, probably in the spring of 2017. But others could soon follow. The current crowd on the court are hardly spring chickens: Ginsburg is 83-years-old, Justice Anthony Kennedy is 80 and Justice Stephen Breyer is 78.

What’s alarming for Democrats is that two of the oldest (Ginsburg and Breyer) are liberals, meaning Trump could replace them with conservatives in the event of illness, death, or retirement. The nightmare scenario for liberals, as NYU law prof Barry Friedman told the New York Times: “In the worst case, we end up with a 7-2 conservative court, and a relatively young one at that. This could be a typhoon for the Supreme Court.”
If we get more Kennedy and Roberts types...and nowhere near 6-3 or 7-2...whatchagonnado?

Big opportunity ... let's hope DJT isn't a Trumpjan horse.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:
How Many Justices Will Trump Get to Appoint?

No one doubts a new Trump-appointed Justice will take his or her place on the court, probably in the spring of 2017. But others could soon follow. The current crowd on the court are hardly spring chickens: Ginsburg is 83-years-old, Justice Anthony Kennedy is 80 and Justice Stephen Breyer is 78.

What’s alarming for Democrats is that two of the oldest (Ginsburg and Breyer) are liberals, meaning Trump could replace them with conservatives in the event of illness, death, or retirement. The nightmare scenario for liberals, as NYU law prof Barry Friedman told the New York Times: “In the worst case, we end up with a 7-2 conservative court, and a relatively young one at that. This could be a typhoon for the Supreme Court.”
If we get more Kennedy and Roberts types...and nowhere near 6-3 or 7-2...whatchagonnado?

When his opponent proudly said that the largest group of responsible law abiding gun owners is the enemy that she's the most proud to have, it would be hard for Trump to secretly be any worse on the issue of gun rights.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

M-Quigley wrote:
bignflnut wrote:
When his opponent proudly said that the largest group of responsible law abiding gun owners is the enemy that she's the most proud to have, it would be hard for Trump to secretly be any worse on the issue of gun rights.
Please remember all of the photos of Trump side by side, smiling from ear to ear with Bill and Hillary and Rudy.
Don't take your eyes off the ball. Don't let your guard down.
The GOPe has had the House + Senate + POTUS previously, and the results were remarkably bland.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798