2nd admendment question at 2nd debate

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

2nd admendment question at 2nd debate

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.guns.com/2016/10/10/protecti ... -question/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I respect the Second Amendment, but I believe there should be comprehensive background checks,” she said.
however,
Gun control remains a cornerstone of Clinton’s platform. An unconfirmed Wikileaks dump of documents hacked from her campaign chairman’s email account suggests the nominee remains committed to using executive order to close the “gun show loophole” should Congress fail to act. It’s a position Clinton has publicly stated before — as well as her desire to repeal a 2005 law shielding gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits.

She again mentioned closing the loophole at the debate Sunday, but didn’t promise to use executive order to do so.
Not a lawyer or familiar with everything in the 68 CGA, but I didn't think any president could enact across the board background checks for all gun transfers with just an executive order. I thought that was just something she was telling her supporters to get them to vote for her. How would or could she do it?
OhioPaints

Re: 2nd admendment question at 2nd debate

Post by OhioPaints »

Sadly, Obama has set a precedent of far exceeding the legitimate power of executive order. I have heard it said that with that background, the next president could go hog wild.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

If Hilliary gets in office there WILL be another push to ban BLACK guns (oh my), large capacity magazines, registering gun purchases even ammo (she loves California laws), and Obama's anti-gun actions are just a teaser for what is to come.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The president is the "Chief Executive Officer" of all federal agencies.

An Executive Order can change any policy in a federal agency that is not defined in a law.

The law gives the ATF the power to set rules, regulations and policies regarding firearms.

This means an EO can change any ATF rule or regulation or policy.

So, yeah. Bad things can happen.
MyWifeSaidYes
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Don't forget they could also control by taxation. Automatic weapons are not illegal, you just have to comply with the Tax Code. 1934 it was machine guns. 2017 it could be semi auto handguns.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

After she stacks the supreme court with like thinking comrades she can do pretty much anything she wants to.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

There was a great big pregnant (aborted) pause prior to the BUT...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798