3 Stupid Gun Laws That Need to Be Repealed

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

3 Stupid Gun Laws That Need to Be Repealed

Post by JU-87 »

I would like to see all 3 of these removed. :)

Your thoughts?

Three Stupid Gun Laws That Need to Be Repealed or Replaced Today
Silencers should be removed from the NFA entirely. At most they should be treated like firearms, and purchased via a normal ATF 4473 and background check. Frankly, I don’t see any need for even that level of regulation. We’re talking about a muffler, people...

It’s silly for SBRs to still be part of the National Firearms Act in 2016, when rifle-class “pistols” are now ubiquitous and are not a significant source of firearms used in crimes. It’s time for short-barrelled rifles to be pulled from the National Firearms Act. It was a silly idea in 1934, rendered absurd by the realities of firearm design in the 21st century...

William J. Hughes, an anti-liberty New Jersey Democrat, slipped in a controversial provision to FOPA that outlawed the new manufacture of machine guns for the civilian market, even though legally owned machine guns had never been used in a crime since 1934 up until that point, and are still highly regulated under the NFA...
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/06 ... -replaced/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
M-Quigley

Re: 3 Stupid Gun Laws That Need to Be Repealed

Post by M-Quigley »

Repeal current laws? If the Democrats regain control of the House and Senate in the next 8 years, the current laws will seem like the good old days. :(
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Why three? Let's just repeal the NFA in its entirety.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

TJW815 wrote:Why three? Let's just repeal the NFA in its entirety.
This! In spades!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

"Silencers"! The name attached to the device is the reason it's controlled by the Fed. Hollywood has depicted it in their gangster movies as a silent assassin's weapon. Discard the name and call it a sound suppressor to reduce decibel-level and help protect peoples' hearing. Then maybe the Fed will listen to an appeal.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

"If" I remember correctly, there have only been 2 crimes committed with a "legal" NFA weapon.
One of those was a contract murder committed by a corrupt police officer.

The Hughes amendment to the FOPA, was a brokered deal involving the NRA. Certain elements of the NRA, didn't give a squat about full auto's, and threw them under the bus to get support for the FOPA. The original NFA was done in a similar manner. The original legislation called for the taxation and registration of handguns as well, and the NRA dropped opposition only after handguns were removed.
Thankfully, the current NRA understands (I hope) that compromise on these issues has gotten us nowhere. They only encouraged the anti's to go further.
To get our rights back, it's going to be baby steps.
Getting suppressors removed will be *easy* compared to gutting the Hughes amendment or the NFA.
Unless we get the right people in office, nothing will change. The power brokers and their minions in government will not relinquish control without a fight.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

JimE wrote:"If" I remember correctly, there have only been 2 crimes committed with a "legal" NFA weapon.
One of those was a contract murder committed by a corrupt police officer.

The Hughes amendment to the FOPA, was a brokered deal involving the NRA. Certain elements of the NRA, didn't give a squat about full auto's, and threw them under the bus to get support for the FOPA. The original NFA was done in a similar manner. The original legislation called for the taxation and registration of handguns as well, and the NRA dropped opposition only after handguns were removed.
Thankfully, the current NRA understands (I hope) that compromise on these issues has gotten us nowhere. They only encouraged the anti's to go further.
To get our rights back, it's going to be baby steps.
Getting suppressors removed will be *easy* compared to gutting the Hughes amendment or the NFA.
Unless we get the right people in office, nothing will change. The power brokers and their minions in government will not relinquish control without a fight.
I agree.
For this reason, after I became a Life Member of the NRA, I purchased a Life Membership in "Gun Owners of America" (GOA). GOA is smaller, but a "no-compromise" group, and MUCH more aggressive! http://www.gunowners.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I donate ZERO money to the NRA. My Life Membership was it. I donate to GOA, and a "Patron" membership in OFCC. :)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

4 laws .... include duty to notify.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

gfrlaser wrote:4 laws .... include duty to notify.
While this is true, this is the national firearms sub forum. Some states already don't have a duty to notify.