ATF Reclassifies Wetted Nitrocellulose as Explosive Material

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

ATF Reclassifies Wetted Nitrocellulose as Explosive Material

Post by Whirlwind06 »

I guess that this administration isn't done with us yet.

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/atf-rec ... z4IqWH2BeZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In an Explosives Industry Newsletter issued in June 2016, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) reclassified wetted nitrocellulose containing greater than 12.6 percent nitrogen as a high explosive under the federal explosives laws.

As explained below, this is a dramatic and sudden change in agency policy with a significant impact on the ammunition industry. The new policy was announced in a newsletter without any opportunity for industry input.
Link to the newsletter
https://www.atf.gov/file/106536/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TJW815

Re: ATF Reclassifies Wetted Nitrocellulose as Explosive Mate

Post by TJW815 »

Ok, I'll bite, what does this do in the way of firearms? Please forgive my ignorance.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

TJW815 wrote:Ok, I'll bite, what does this do in the way of firearms? Please forgive my ignorance.
Well if I'm reading it correctly this could impact ammunition manufacturers. Which could drive up prices, availableility. Also possibly home reloaded.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

OK, so I have a pretty stupid question..... :oops:

How i wetted nitrocellulose used in ammunition manufacture? :oops: I tried looking this up, but am getting nowhere.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I'm going to guess that this does not apply to smokeless propellants used in the ammunition industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

TSiWRX wrote:OK, so I have a pretty stupid question..... :oops:

How i wetted nitrocellulose used in ammunition manufacture? :oops: I tried looking this up, but am getting nowhere.

Kinda what I was getting at... I'm clueless.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Actually modern smokeless gun powders DO have a very high probability of containing nitrocellulose.
I was under the impression that all smokeless powders had some form of nitrocellulose in them.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokeless_powder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and : https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/about ... mccord.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Reading comments to the article I saw one written by a model rocket enthusiast. A few years ago the BATFE tried reclassifying the stuff they used, in a similar manner. Apparently the rocketeers raised a fuss and the feds shot down their own plan, pun intended. We firearms folk should be able to do the same thing, if needed.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TSiWRX wrote:How i wetted nitrocellulose used in ammunition manufacture? :oops: I tried looking this up, but am getting nowhere.
As I understand it, nitrocellulose is wetted by adding water or alcohol for transport since that (used to) reclassify so it was no longer considered an explosive. That made documentation, storage for transport much easier. Once received by the powder / ammo manufacturer it would be dried prior to use in making smokeless powder or ammunition and would then be considered an explosive and subject to those regulations - but, powder and ammo manufacturers are already used to meeting those requirements of course.

Now, wetted nitrocellulose is considered by the ATF as an explosive *without warning* and *without a transition period* so anyone transporting it must immediately comply with the high explosive documentation, storage and transport regulations - and of course, nobody is ready for it. So, ammo is about to become less available and more expensive again while they scramble to meet the new requirements.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Back in the day, not all that long ago but not yesterday, one could buy dynamite at the hardware store. Makes getting rid of stumps easier.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
CombatShotgunner

Post by CombatShotgunner »

I'm wondering if I should by a reloading a set up or just pick up 2000 rounds of 9mm? I'm told not to shoot reloads/remains in a Glock so I think I would load 45ACP again. Advice? Can I shoot 9mm reloads through a Wilson Beretta? My Wal-Mart is almost empty except for 40 cal. What to do?
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

141 to go.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Still don't see .22lr at my local WM, but there IS some .22WMR that has showed up and hasn't moved for a couple days.

I thought that to be a good sign, along with piles of 9mm and other common pistol rounds.

With this announcement, however...
MyWifeSaidYes
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

CombatShotgunner wrote:I'm wondering if I should by a reloading a set up or just pick up 2000 rounds of 9mm? I'm told not to shoot reloads/remains in a Glock so I think I would load 45ACP again. Advice? Can I shoot 9mm reloads through a Wilson Beretta? My Wal-Mart is almost empty except for 40 cal. What to do?
CombatShotgunner:

I finally invested in reloading gear in October 2012, right before Zero stole the last election. Turned out to be a good move. I don't shoot much, but I rarely run out. (Getting components was a little iffy for a while.) 'Bout $700 initially, including some powder, primers, and bullets. Another $300 for each of two other calibers. No regrets - a Dillon is industrial strength almost - except that the manual (you have to do a lot of assembly) appears to have been written by somebody who'd assembled a bunch of them. You really had to figure out what the fool thing was trying to do in many cases, before you could assemble it. Getting components (powder and maybe primers) is going to get stiff again, if not impossible, because this may only be the first act.

You can replace a Glock barrel with one that's conventionally rifled, and shoot all day long with reloads & such. I'm not sure what the price might be. IMHO, you can just plan on cleaning the polygonal rifled Glock barrel more often. They're supposed to lead up.... Somebody here ought to know.

If you're not a heavy shooter, you probably can just use the stock Glock barrel, too....

I'm told that Glocks don't support the case head area as well as they should, and reloaded cases need to be fully resized. A buddy of mine's 9mm EMP looked like a real disaster (jam-o-matic, etc.) until we found out about that. He'd been reloading for an old Beretta, and it would feed about anything, whereas the EMP wanted a clean case. There's a special resizing die available.... (Don't make me look it up :D.... It worked for him.)

You can buy a reloading setup for a LOT less than the Dillon. It's possible to set up a press for each caliber if you have the space. This is extremely convenient. I probably could have done that, but I'd already put out for the Dillon. The table I'm using really doesn't have room, but that's a minor problem.

Overall, I don't see any downside for either choices, except that prices will go up. It could take decades to fix this, if we ever can.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Quote from the ammoland link: "Exemptions from the requirements of the federal explosives laws are provided, in pertinent part, for: (1) the transportation, shipment, receipt, or importation of explosive materials for delivery to any federal or State agency; (2) for small arms ammunition and components thereof; and (3) for the manufacture under the regulation of the U.S. military of explosive materials for their official use"
Give em' Hell Pike!!!