ATF Reclassifies Wetted Nitrocellulose as Explosive Material

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: ATF Reclassifies Wetted Nitrocellulose as Explosive Mate

Post by JustaShooter »

glocksmith wrote:Quote from the ammoland link: "Exemptions from the requirements of the federal explosives laws are provided, in pertinent part, for: (1) the transportation, shipment, receipt, or importation of explosive materials for delivery to any federal or State agency; (2) for small arms ammunition and components thereof; and (3) for the manufacture under the regulation of the U.S. military of explosive materials for their official use"

Wetted nitrocellulose is not (yet) "small arms ammunition and components thereof", so it still applies *until* made into smokeless powder or small arms ammunition.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JustaShooter wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:How i wetted nitrocellulose used in ammunition manufacture? :oops: I tried looking this up, but am getting nowhere.
As I understand it, nitrocellulose is wetted by adding water or alcohol for transport since that (used to) reclassify so it was no longer considered an explosive. That made documentation, storage for transport much easier. Once received by the powder / ammo manufacturer it would be dried prior to use in making smokeless powder or ammunition and would then be considered an explosive and subject to those regulations - but, powder and ammo manufacturers are already used to meeting those requirements of course.
Got it. Thanks! :)

That's what I thought, too, but I wasn't sure. And as-always, the double-negative in the wording in the statement released threw me for a loop, too. Hey, I'm ESL! :P

About the only contact I have with nitrocellulose as membranes for scientific assays. I can't help but wonder if this will impact my profession as well.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

And then this happened: ATF Delays Any Changes to Nitrocellulose Regulation

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016083 ... regulation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!