Hawaii: Bill to put all gun owers into FBI database

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Hawaii: Bill to put all gun owers into FBI database

Post by rickt »

I never heard of this database. Since I work in a school, I am wondering if I am already in there.
Hawaii could become the first state in the United States to enter gun owners into an FBI database that will automatically notify police if an island resident is arrested anywhere else in the country.

Most people entered in the “Rap Back” database elsewhere in the U.S. are those in “positions of trust,” such as school teachers and bus drivers, said Stephen Fischer of the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division. Hawaii could be the first state to add gun owners.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... abase.html
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Hawaii: Bill to put all gun owers into FBI database

Post by catfish86 »

SERIOUS due process issues with this. Essentially putting someone exercising a constitutional right on a watch list that others are not with no "process" other than having bought a firearm in the past.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

How is that any different than putting teachers, nurses, etc that have done nothing wrong any different?
catfish86 wrote:SERIOUS due process issues with this. Essentially putting someone exercising a constitutional right on a watch list that others are not with no "process" other than having bought a firearm in the past.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

WY_Not wrote:How is that any different than putting teachers, nurses, etc that have done nothing wrong any different?
catfish86 wrote:SERIOUS due process issues with this. Essentially putting someone exercising a constitutional right on a watch list that others are not with no "process" other than having bought a firearm in the past.
There is no difference. The problem is that this database even exists in the first place.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hawaii is also one of the cases where, when some avid but poorly informed pro-Second Amendment person says "WOO, concealed carry licenses available in all 50 states now!", they're missing a whole lot of fine print. Hawaii has rarely (if ever) issued a license to someone not connected to the Honolulu or state police. I believe one license was for the HPD armorer, a civilian employee, another was for maybe the police chief's sister or the like. If I ever met Tom Selleck I'd ask him if he was one of the chosen few, since he has owned a home there for a long time. Wouldn't be surprised if they DIDN'T give a carry license to 'Magnum P.I.', even though that show drove millions of dollars in tourism to the state.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly on that. I just find it amusing and curious that people get so wound up about possibly putting firearms owners on a list yet putting nurses, teachers, etc on a list is no big deal. Either one should be equally offensive to anyone who puts any value on freedom and liberty.
WestonDon wrote:
WY_Not wrote:How is that any different than putting teachers, nurses, etc that have done nothing wrong any different?
There is no difference. The problem is that this database even exists in the first place.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WY_Not wrote:Oh, I agree whole-heartedly on that. I just find it amusing and curious that people get so wound up about possibly putting firearms owners on a list yet putting nurses, teachers, etc on a list is no big deal. Either one should be equally offensive to anyone who puts any value on freedom and liberty.
I disagree. We fight about licenses and registrations for gun owners all the time. I never see anyone complain about registration and licensure for those in the medical field. In my opinion, once you agree to allowing a license or registration system, then you agree to allow that list to be monitored on a regular basis. I've really yet to hear anyone complain that a teacher or nurse has to be licensed for their profession.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Oh, I agree whole-heartedly on that. I just find it amusing and curious that people get so wound up about possibly putting firearms owners on a list yet putting nurses, teachers, etc on a list is no big deal. Either one should be equally offensive to anyone who puts any value on freedom and liberty.
I disagree. We fight about licenses and registrations for gun owners all the time. I never see anyone complain about registration and licensure for those in the medical field. In my opinion, once you agree to allowing a license or registration system, then you agree to allow that list to be monitored on a regular basis. I've really yet to hear anyone complain that a teacher or nurse has to be licensed for their profession.
There's no Constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to keep and bear chalk erasers or stethoscopes. Maybe that's the diference.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Are not most professional licensing/registrations state issued and state monitored? It's the Federal database thing that's got some of us cranked up.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
I quit teaching when they started requiring fingerprints to renew my teaching license
That was a line I wasn't going to cross
A few years later I gave up my fingerprints to exercise my constitutional right to self defense.

I don't even know how to describe the absurdity of that.
But that's the way it happened,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

That is the kind of crap I had in mind. Even just keeping track of who is current on their training and certs is not a government function. That can easily be done by a private organization. An individual should NOT need government permission to seek employment much less exercise a constitutionally guaranteed (not granted) right.
Chuck wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
I quit teaching when they started requiring fingerprints to renew my teaching license
That was a line I wasn't going to cross
A few years later I gave up my fingerprints to exercise my constitutional right to self defense.

I don't even know how to describe the absurdity of that.
But that's the way it happened,,,,
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WY_Not wrote:That is the kind of crap I had in mind. Even just keeping track of who is current on their training and certs is not a government function. That can easily be done by a private organization. An individual should NOT need government permission to seek employment much less exercise a constitutionally guaranteed (not granted) right.
I would agree for the most part but....who is responsible for paying those people? The government. Therefore, the government has a great interest in verifying the license of the individual and ensuring only certified people are doing the work. Keep in mind, one area of government where they allow public and private dealings is foster care. The quality control on foster care agencies was found to be much worse on the private side than the public side, if that's possible to believe. Education, well, private is better, but generally it's about 25% more per pupil than public. Public education I say the state needs to guarantee licensure and background checks, on private education, leave it up to the entity offering the education. After all, who is sued when something bad happens?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

The database in question has nothing to do with licensing or certifications. It reports criminal activity exclusive of due process. You can be put into this database by submitting to a fingerprint based background check. Even private employers can receive a report.

There really is a "THEY"
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
WY_Not wrote:That is the kind of crap I had in mind. Even just keeping track of who is current on their training and certs is not a government function. That can easily be done by a private organization. An individual should NOT need government permission to seek employment much less exercise a constitutionally guaranteed (not granted) right.
I would agree for the most part but....who is responsible for paying those people? The government. Therefore, the government has a great interest in verifying the license of the individual and ensuring only certified people are doing the work. Keep in mind, one area of government where they allow public and private dealings is foster care. The quality control on foster care agencies was found to be much worse on the private side than the public side, if that's possible to believe. Education, well, private is better, but generally it's about 25% more per pupil than public. Public education I say the state needs to guarantee licensure and background checks, on private education, leave it up to the entity offering the education. After all, who is sued when something bad happens?
Good point. I taught for two years in a private school with an expired teaching certificate before the principal pointed it out to me. It also used to be you wouldn't get fingerprinted until you changed jobs, but now it's every time you renew your license.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George