Lexington Mass to vote on Semi auto forced sale

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Lexington Mass to vote on Semi auto forced sale

Post by bignflnut »

Fast-forward almost 240 years to the day and some of the residents of Lexington have come full circle.

They are now advocating for the government to seize legally owned firearms from the town’s residents.

The town of Lexington utilizes an annual town meeting to set policy, bylaws and approve things like the town budget. The residents do not vote directly; instead they have approximately 200 “town meeting members” who vote in representation of their constituents.

One such town meeting member, a Harvard professor named Robert Rotberg has taken it upon himself to enact, what he hopes will be “a movement against assault weapons that would capture the state and therefore maybe explode to reach the country.”

He has seized upon the recent ban enacted in Highland Park, IL, and has modeled his own ban, almost copying the language verbatim. Filing it to the town meeting warrant as Article 34.

The article also has a provision in which Lexington’s licensed gun owners who own firearms included in the ban would be forced to sell, render inoperable, or have them seized and destroyed by the police department.
Oh, they're LICENSED gun owners...I wondered how they knew who had what guns.

Highland Park...why does that ring a bell...Oh yeah! SCOTUS couldn't muster even 4 votes to hear the case...so its ban stands!
The Supreme Court effectively let stand the decision by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upholding a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines that Highland Park and about 20 other Illinois cities hurriedly passed two years ago.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Lexington Mass to vote on Semi auto forced sale

Post by Javelin Man »

American Revolution Part Dieux?

NASA put a few cows out in space, it was the herd shot around the world! :lol:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Oh, and the Antis always tell us that registration never leads to confiscation?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
keepitsimple
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by keepitsimple »

It's always interesting to discuss articles like this with people who support the idea. I ask, "but what if someone says no and doesn't give up whatever it is you're taking from them?", and they'll always say, "We'll make it illegal and (have someone else) take it by force!"

Taking someone's house or car or personal effects from them at gunpoint is a terrible crime of violence. But disarming them at gunpoint is not only OK, but a crime if not followed with total compliance.

Frankly, I'm tired of the whole argument. Both sides.

Pro gun: "You guys are too stupid, naive, and dependent on others to realize that YOU need guns and shouldn't be banning any of them! You're either too young to remember history or too stupid to have learned any of it to begin with. You and your ilk are so full of yourselves and your progressive ideologies that you've completely forgotten that not every human being lives in an urban metropolis with 2+ million population that faces the same daily struggles as you in their concrete jungle. Your ethics and morals are completely misguided and have no foundation in reality."

Anti-gun: "You guys are stupid, naive, and you're completely incapable of giving up your 'Every problem is a nail for my hammer' mentality. The world has grown up and human beings no longer have to live off of the land like savages or neanderthals. No one 'needs' to do these things anymore for survival because we've systematically made them obsolete; it's called evolution, and you're holding the entire heard back by hanging on to these outdated principles as bitterly as you are and refusing to progress/evolve with the rest of 'us'. Your ethics and morals are completely misguided and have no foundation in reality."

Round and round it goes, two idiots screaming at each other through a wall.
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Alexander Hamilton
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

keepitsimple wrote:It's always interesting to discuss articles like this with people who support the idea. I ask, "but what if someone says no and doesn't give up whatever it is you're taking from them?", and they'll always say, "We'll make it illegal and (have someone else) take it by force!"

Taking someone's house or car or personal effects from them at gunpoint is a terrible crime of violence. But disarming them at gunpoint is not only OK, but a crime if not followed with total compliance.

Pro gun: "You guys are too stupid, naive, and dependent on others to realize that YOU need guns and shouldn't be banning any of them! You're either too young to remember history or too stupid to have learned any of it to begin with. You and your ilk are so full of yourselves and your progressive ideologies that you've completely forgotten that not every human being lives in an urban metropolis with 2+ million population that faces the same daily struggles as you in their concrete jungle. Your ethics and morals are completely misguided and have no foundation in reality."

Anti-gun: "You guys are stupid, naive, and you're completely incapable of giving up your 'Every problem is a nail for my hammer' mentality. The world has grown up and human beings no longer have to live off of the land like savages or neanderthals. No one 'needs' to do these things anymore for survival because we've systematically made them obsolete; it's called evolution, and you're holding the entire heard back by hanging on to these outdated principles as bitterly as you are and refusing to progress/evolve with the rest of 'us'. Your ethics and morals are completely misguided and have no foundation in reality."

Round and round it goes, two idiots screaming at each other through a wall.
That is a good summary... I still like the idea of making anti's go door to door and confiscate peoples firearms.

That wouldn't be holding the herd back, but most likely thinning it.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

keepitsimple wrote:It's always interesting to discuss articles like this with people who support the idea. I ask, "but what if someone says no and doesn't give up whatever it is you're taking from them?", and they'll always say, "We'll make it illegal and (have someone else) take it by force!"

Hadn't heard this one:
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

And now for the rest of the story:
March 9, 2016
Gun advocates call proposed Lexington ban an affront to liberty
LEXINGTON — Gun rights advocates spoke out Tuesday night against a proposal to ban certain types of semi-automatic weapons in Lexington, calling it an affront to the very principles on which their town and the nation were founded.

“The birthplace of American liberty is not going to be its gravesite,” said Michael Barg, a lifelong resident of Lexington. “This will accomplish nothing other than to glorify the proponents’ phony dogma and misinformed political ideals.”

Barg was one of about 150 gun rights advocates, including many from as far away as Lowell and Ashburnham, who appeared before the Board of Selectmen in opposition to a citizen’s petition that would create a town bylaw prohibiting the manufacture, sale, ownership, or possession of specific weapons in town.
Earlier, selectmen had unanimously voiced opposition to Rotberg’s proposed bylaw, as had Police Chief Mark Corr.

“This bylaw is not enforceable, and I ask you not to put me in a position to have to try,” he said.

“I do not want to see the irony that a law intended to save a life may actually cost a life trying to enforce it,” Corr said to a standing ovation from the crowd.
Then a week later:
Lexington man backs off proposed gun ban for the town
A Lexington man who proposed a local ban on “assault weapons” has switched gears after polling his fellow Town Meeting members, and will instead move forward with a nonbinding resolution urging state legislators to strengthen Massachusetts gun laws.

Robert Rotberg said his new measure asks the Board of Selectmen to initiate a townwide discussion about gun violence that would lead to “fully considered proposals” to present to the Legislature.
The interesting thing is that most of what this guy wants is already law in Mass.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Good to see there is still hope, when you get down to the business of the people.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Perhaps EVERYONE in Lexington needs to go read their history of what happened the last time they tried this crap in Lexington (and Concord). David Hackett Fischer has a great write up of the events of that day.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

keepitsimple wrote:Anti-gun: The world has grown up and human beings no longer have to live off of the land like savages or neanderthals. No one 'needs' to do these things anymore for survival because we've systematically made them obsolete; it's called evolution, and you're holding the entire heard back by hanging on to these outdated principles as bitterly as you are and refusing to progress/evolve with the rest of 'us'. Your ethics and morals are completely misguided and have no foundation in reality."
I think the band DRI said it more eloquently in their 1989 song "Gun Control":

"We were given the right to bear arms
When our land was all ranch and farms
The law is old and in need of updating
There's no time time for hesitating"
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

WY_Not wrote:Perhaps EVERYONE in Lexington needs to go read their history of what happened the last time they tried this crap in Lexington (and Concord). David Hackett Fischer has a great write up of the events of that day.

Yes he does.. That is a wonderful book.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson