Chicago Tribune shows off the bayonet lug on an AR-15

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

brian0918

Chicago Tribune shows off the bayonet lug on an AR-15

Post by brian0918 »

You can also attach a grenade launcher to it!

See photograph here

I guess when it comes to hyping up gun control, checking the facts comes later (in a small one-line correction).
Naticarry

Re: Chicago Tribune shows off the bayonet lug on an AR-15

Post by Naticarry »

I guess when it comes to hyping up gun control, checking the facts comes later (in a small one-line correction).

The correction will however state that an intimidating sling can be attached there and could be used to strangle people
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

How many Homicides in Chicago were due to Grenades or Bayonetes.

Get real media trolls, when you have 30 round magazines you don't need you're bayonet. Also don't you guys have something productive to do.. How about point out how many criminals are roaming or something else because figuring out that a sharp blade can be afixed to a gun isn't the thing causing you're murder rate to sky rocket.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Thank you. My early morning laughing... :lol:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

All the other idiocy aside...what is it about a KNIFE that these people think makes a GUN scarier?

I can picture in my head some weird Monty Python skit where everyone's pointing guns at each other and no one cares. But then one guy pulls out a Boy Scout pocketknife and everyone runs away screaming. :roll: :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

sodbuster95 wrote:All the other idiocy aside...what is it about a KNIFE that these people think makes a GUN scarier?

I can picture in my head some weird Monty Python skit where everyone's pointing guns at each other and no one cares. But then one guy pulls out a Boy Scout pocketknife and everyone runs away screaming. :roll: :lol:
I agreed with that until I read "On Killing" by Lt. Col Dave Grossman. The psychology of a bayonet kill is drastically different than a medium or even close range kill with a gun. The difference in psychology is the same no matter what end of the bayonet you happen to be on. I'm trying to shorten up a whole chapter into a sentence or two, but the terror of being stabbed is drastically more than being shot. It's also much harder on the one doing the stabbing. Many soldiers resist using the bayonet in its intended fashion (stabbing) and if forced to use it will slash their opponent. There is a deep human resistance to penetrating another human with cold steel.

That being said, on some deep level I can see the psychological resistance to bayonets. Although since I haven't heard of a bayoneting in the US in the last 100 years (I could be wrong) I don't think it's an actual issue in a logical sense.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Unfortunately you should skip ahead to the "people who only use emotion's and have no common sense" to find out about people who work at this newspaper.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Wow. I have seen a number of lugs in the past, but that lug! Thankfully, our Democrat Controlled Main Stream Media is ever-vigalent.
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

It isn't limited to Chicago newspapers. Check out Time Magazine's information about the AR-15.
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-con ... Minute.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

You think that's too low or too high?
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:You think that's too low or too high?
Look closely...
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Yeah it's the wrong picture, but at least in this case it doesn't actually change the point.
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Yeah it's the wrong picture, but at least in this case it doesn't actually change the point.

Right, wrong gun, but it also says "in semi automatic mode". They prey on that absolute ignorance of people who only hear about how evil the AR-15 is and know nothing about them.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Pecker wrote:That being said, on some deep level I can see the psychological resistance to bayonets. Although since I haven't heard of a bayoneting in the US in the last 100 years (I could be wrong) I don't think it's an actual issue in a logical sense.
I figured that out many years ago. It may be the fact that only a small percentage of the population has every been shot, but everybody has been cut or pierced by something sharp. When it comes to fearing something, there's nothing like having first-hand knowledge of how it feels to experience it.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Recently, one of the Rhymin' Revrums said these horrid assault weapons are capable of firing up to 600 rounds per minute, and are powerful enough to bring down a commercial airliner.