OCAGV on school shootings

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

OCAGV on school shootings

Post by MeanStreaker »

I stop in to the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence's website every now and then.

They have a "story" posted. They say "Common denominator = Guns"

I say "Common Denominator = Only Bad Guy Had Guns"
DEATH IN OUR SCHOOLS

Common denominator = Guns

Our kids keep dying while our candidates and legislators compete for gun lobby money.

In the last couple of weeks we have seen our children shot in schools by adults.

What they won't do is talk about the role the guns played in these horrific events. The availability of firearms in each of these disasters is the common denominator. We must discuss it as part of the problem. The responsibility is ours, not the kids.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

MeanStreaker:

Good old "availability of guns"....

A friend of mine put that in the local Jewish Journal some years ago. (A Rabbi, but not the one I shoot with nowadays.)

I had to remind him that some twenty years back there was a gas station about two miles from his house - the sort of place his six-year-old would head to find a bike tire or whatever sort of inexplicable chewing-gum flavor the kids were into - that would sell his six-year-old ammunition with no more than a note from mom or dad.

We didn't have school shootings then.... We didn't have drive-by's.... We barely knew what an armed robbery was....

My first school-bus ride as a six-year-old first grader had High School kids on it with rifles. Not .22's for the "team" - "real" hunting guns for after school. To be placed in often-unlocked lockers inside the school building between getting to school and going hunting. LOADED!

Now the Brady's and Toby wet their pants when kids bring pictures of guns to school.... Or mention that dad's got one....

While armed students (other than the guns in the lockers) were kinda rare, nobody knew, guessed, or cared, if anybody else in the building was carrying. We just didn't do that sort of thing.... (Most of the boys had knives, btw. "Boy Scout" types.... We no longer needed them for sharpening quills, though....)

IMHO, it's the easy lack of supervision, moral values, and things of that nature, coupled with an "if he's got it, I want one, and I'll take his if necessary" attitude in some areas. The only people who look like they care (besides us, and we just don't get the good press) are the folks who think that we should be serfs - that only criminals should have guns, on the British model wherein it's just not gentlemanly to use one....

Bullfeathers....

If you want a gun, you'll be able to get one unless machine tools are outlawed.... I don't think even Sarah and Toby would go that far....

The lives of those who have bodyguards by Government mandate, or those who can afford to pay for them, or (sorry guys) LEO's, are worth much more than ours....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
thorn

Post by thorn »

I'll take it one further: the common problem is Bad Guys.

Cleveland is set to destroy 1100+ guns seized from criminals. The destruction of those guns will not have the result of turning any criminal into a Good Guys.

The other common problem is a culture which denounces every factor but the main one.

It's govt's fault for not helping people enough, it's the gun's fault for going bang, it's the business community's fault for not paying high enough wages, it's the suburban dweller's fault because they dont "pay enough taxes to help the poor enough", it's the system's fault because the system doesnt provide enough opportunities.

It's never the criminal's fault.

It's never the parents of the 14-old car thief's fault.

Lack of taking nor demanding personal responsibility: that's the overall common thread, and taking MY gun away isn't going to turn criminals into saints.

thorn
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

Germany just had another school shooting two days ago. It was carried out with a .22 cal rifle, muzzleloaders, and pipe bombs. The muzzleloaders were legal and nobody has any idea where the .22 came from. The pipe bombs were made in the shooters home.

Thank god this attacker didn't remember the effectiveness of a home-made flamethrower used in an attack on a school in Germany during the 60s.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"