Need advice: AK-47 for self defense in a residential area?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AK-47 just a bad idea for a residential (not tightly packed) area?

Yes, you'll do more harm that good.
18%
No, its better than nothing.
32%
No, that's an excellent idea.
26%
WTH is it with you and AK's?
24%

Total votes: 38

Illuminaughty
*** Banned ***

Need advice: AK-47 for self defense in a residential area?

Post by Illuminaughty »

So here's the situation. I have a few aks, and I've been thinking of letting my parents keep one at their house to use as self defense. My parents keep putting off getting a gun even though there's been break ins in the area before. Now I would normally give them a pistol or something, but AKs are the name of the game. I don't have any shotguns, I only have 1 pistol (my carry pistol), and my FAL would only make penetration issues worse. So my question is... is giving my AK to my parents for self defense just a potential liability, or is it at least something? Would hollow points not penetrate as much as FMJ? What's everyone's advice on this? I'd like my parents to have a firearm there, and I'd like to have access to one when I stay down there (which is pretty frequently) without having to lug one down there every time. Advice?
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

IMHO

I think if we had a natural disaster like Katrina, we were invaded, or had to take up arms against our own Government, an AK would be a valuable asset. For typical home defense, I think a shotgun or handgun is adequate defense.

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I agree completely with Kid. A shotgun or handgun make much more sense. Having said that, I also firmly believe an AK readily available is a lot more valuable than a shotgun you might buy next week...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Illuminaughty
*** Banned ***

Post by Illuminaughty »

The situation is as such that buying a shotgun or revolver or selling an AK to do so isn't feasible in the slightest. So its either give my parents an AK for home defense now, or maybe wait a few months to see if I can cough up a spare shotgun or revolver or something.

Even if I decide its a liablity to bring an AK down there (which I'm not thinking it is) I'd still keep an AK down there, I'd just lock up the ammunition.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I don't see it as a liability - just as not the best tool for the job. Sometimes ya' gotta work with what ya' got 'til ya' can get better tools...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

I'd rather have an AK than nothing. ;)

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
Illuminaughty
*** Banned ***

Post by Illuminaughty »

Thanks for the input guys. :D
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Illuminaughty wrote:Even if I decide its a liablity to bring an AK down there (which I'm not thinking it is) I'd still keep an AK down there, I'd just lock up the ammunition.
You've said "down there" a couple times now... are they Ohio residents, or is "down there" something more like Florida?

If out of state, you will need to transfer that AK through an FFL if you intend it to be their property or under their primary control.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Illuminaughty
*** Banned ***

Post by Illuminaughty »

jabeatty wrote:
Illuminaughty wrote:Even if I decide its a liablity to bring an AK down there (which I'm not thinking it is) I'd still keep an AK down there, I'd just lock up the ammunition.
You've said "down there" a couple times now... are they Ohio residents, or is "down there" something more like Florida?

If out of state, you will need to transfer that AK through an FFL if you intend it to be their property or under their primary control.
No, they're in ohio, just an hour or so south of me. :D
Glock23

Post by Glock23 »

The 7.62x39 round will stop an intruder, but overpenatration is an issue, as with most rifles. A lot of it would depend on the surrounding area/homes. And as others before me have said, anything is better than nothing. Also, if you parents aren't gun conscious, a rifle will have an easier learning curve than a typical auto pistol and better accuracy. In the long run I would try to convince them to purchase a shotgun. Used mossberg 500s can be had for really cheap prices (around my area 120-150) in good condition. This give you a nice club, an intimidation factor to the would be robber/intruder, and much better accuracy and stopping power for a novice. My .02.
Project Appleseed - IIT-II
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MG Precision Arms LTD
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MG-Preci ... 9336170645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

The 7.62x39mm round does penetrate a lot, no matter if it is an FMJ, HP or SP, so overpenetration is definitely a issue. That being said: Both handgun bullets suitable for self-defense as well as buckshot will penetrate drywall. In a tightly populated residential area there is simply no substitute for hitting your target.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
gunsho919

Post by gunsho919 »

Me, I keep my Bushmaster M4 handy for homedefensive purposes. I figure overpenetration will be the last thing on my mind when Im pumping 30 rounds into some thug that has broke into my house. I also keep my Glock and Sig handy. But its just a matter of which one I get to first.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Define "not tightly packed". In my suburban neighborhood, I wouldn't dare use my AK. Even after penetrating the BG, the rounds would still end up in my neighbor's house.

Only in a TEOTWAWKI-type scenario would I consider using it around here.
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Both handgun bullets suitable for self-defense as well as buckshot will penetrate drywall
yeah but the 7.62x39mm will go through the BG, then drywall, through the side of the house, through the neighbors house.......

the penetration/energy of a high powered rifle is amazing....
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

It's a shame the Box O' Truth hasn't tested the 7.62x39 round.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/