Flying a GA Aircraft with a gun on board...?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TRDFurgesson

Re: Flying a GA Aircraft with a gun on board...?

Post by TRDFurgesson »

Rhino wrote:I meant inside the building. They can't do a whole lot about the ramp area, though at a commercial airport, usually you are technically within the secure area on the ramp. The FBO needs to post the doors on their buildings, which would mean you'd have to lock the gun in the aircraft before entering. But if you're carrying passengers for hire, you aren't allowed to carry anyway, except under the TSA armed pilots program.
At an airport that has Part 121 (airline service), the ramp surrounding or adjacent to the terminal building is off limits to carrying concealed weapons. The entrance to this ramp is marked on the tarmac and there is signage where there could be foot traffic from other airport ramps. GA has access to KCLE customs at gate A-14 within the restricted area, outside the building. But I can't think of a scenario where you might be carrying to clear customs inbound.
Thanks, Bobby

http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/idpa/index.html

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
TTMR

Post by TTMR »

I walk around the lobby through the vehicle gate and onto the ramp. I don't carry on our part 135 aircraft, but I treat my plane like any other vehicle.
TTMR

Post by TTMR »

Rhino wrote: In fact, the biggest problem you will face is having to figure out if you can legally enter the FBO when you land at an airport you aren't familiar with. Just make sure your flight plans don't include stops in Illinois.
I really should put a GB sign on our door from the ramp to match the one from the parking lot,

Or maybe I shouldn't. We are a city owned building and an air carrier but no sign means no "knowingly"
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

TTMR wrote:We are a city owned building and an air carrier but no sign means no "knowingly"
Are there city employees regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties? If the only employees regularly present are employees of the non-governmental lessee then it's not a government facility even if the city ultimately holds title to the facility.
TTMR

Post by TTMR »

Eh, im not in charge of it. Don't want to be, I just fix the planes.

We are a pro 2a group here however.
TTMR

Post by TTMR »

I did look it up, we are an airport passenger terminal...
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Based on what? Just because passengers transit your facility does not make it a secure area in the context of banning concealed carry. Do you have baggage screening, metal detectors and TSA? That's the type of secure area the statute is addressing. Technically, even a grass strip with a dirt road and a wooden shack can have passengers transiting through it. That doesn't make it a secure passenger terminal. What was mentioned before about Part 121, Part 135 and even commercial Part 91 flights in some instances would qualify for the restriction. The ramp restriction would depend on the airport itself, and would be determined by the operations of that airport, as I stated earlier. Even on some airports with scheduled airline service where the ramp is a restricted/controlled area, there may be other areas open to GA that are not restricted. But knowing such areas and adhering to them would be a legalistic nightmare, so it's best to simply avoid carrying at all at such airports. As for the FBO, as djthomas noted, it may not need to be posted at all. My local FBO probably doesn't either. But as we've learned so many times in the past, this is probably one of those issues that would just get worse rather than better if we decided to bring the topic up.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
TTMR

Post by TTMR »

Part 135 is what nails us.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Blue Ash?
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
TTMR

Post by TTMR »

Yep, for now anyway :cry: