House GOP to Focus on Abortion, Guns

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tither

House GOP to Focus on Abortion, Guns

Post by Tither »

Link House GOP to Focus on Abortion, Guns
House Republicans intend to hold votes this summer and fall touching on abortion, guns, religion and other priority issues for social conservatives, part of an attempt to improve the party's prospects in the midterm elections.

Two measures relate to the rights of gun owners. One would prohibit the confiscation of legal firearms during national emergencies, barring practices such as the one that officials said arose in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit.
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם
IANALY

Post by IANALY »

Strange the national congress can get the message that these things are important, but the state government can't. My guess is they'll learn the hard way.
NRA Life Patron Member; GOA; NRA Certified Firearm Instructor; NRA RSO; Attorney

Self-Defense/CHL Law, BP, HFS, PPIH Instructor
RKBA, LLC - Founder, Co-President
Dr. Winston

Post by Dr. Winston »

"...Two measures relate to the rights of gun owners. One would prohibit the confiscation of legal firearms during national emergencies, barring practices such as the one that officials said arose in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit."

One thing that worries me about the wording of these bills, is that they lean torward 'during National emergencies'! When they should read NEVER!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Phast

Post by Phast »

The laws to “prohibit the confiscation of legal firearms during national emergencies” are in my opinion pointless we already have this it’s called the 2nd amendment. What we should be doing instead is removing anyone that doesn’t understand the constitution enough to uphold it. I see these laws as an excuse for those people that should be held accountable for failing to uphold the constitution.
My world is the only one that counts
Dr. Winston

Post by Dr. Winston »

"...What we should be doing instead is removing anyone that doesn’t understand the constitution enough to uphold it. I see these laws as an excuse for those people that should be held accountable for failing to uphold the constitution."

I'd agree with that 100%! But we have people who read things INTO the constitution, such as the Separation of church and State, yet courts all over the country rule on it as though it's there!???? And we actually pay these people to represent us? :roll:
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington