US sees no need for new UN measures on small arms

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tither

Post by Tither »

I have been watching with great interest the posts that talk about voting for Republicans or Democrats and what this means to our 2nd Amendment Constitutionally Recognized Inalienable Rights. Now I figure everyone here is at least smart is I am, and probably most if not all are smarter than I am, so I, for the most part, just watch and learn. However, today I ran up upon this article that should figure into everyone’s thinking when he or she goes into the voting booth in coming elections.

Remember that Gore who called for Licensing and registration and the ban of all handguns and all semi autos almost won, (Thank you Jesus, and Florida) and the same for Kerry (Thank you Jesus, Ohio and Ken Blackwell :D ) . Who would have been our representative at the U.N. conference if they had won, and would they have signed a Legally Binding treaty? Would a Democratic led house and senate have passed it? If it were the same one in 1993 I think they would have. Here are just the 2 paragraphs I am allowed to post but please click on the link and read the whole article.

Link Day two at the gun ban conference
Speaking before the dozens of nations that have gathered for the review conference on Small Arms and Light Weapons, Joseph told the world in no uncertain terms where the United States stood. “The U.S. Constitution guarantees the rights of our citizens to keep and bear arms, and there will be no infringement of those rights,” he proclaimed to the dignitaries and functionaries. “The United States will not agree to any provisions restricting civilian possession, use or legal trade of firearms inconsistent with our laws and practices.”

When John Bolton spoke at the opening of the summit in 2001, he said, “We request that Section II, paragraph 20, which refers to restrictions on the civilian possession of arms, to be eliminated from the Program of Action, and that other provisions which purport to require national regulation of the lawful possession of firearms… be modified to confine their reach to illicit international activities.” The delegates blinked, and the language was removed.
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם
Tither

Post by Tither »

Link International Action Network on Small Arms
Just so we're all clear on the philosophy of the International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA), here's a statement from its head, Rebecca Peters: "I think American citizens should not be exempt from the rules that apply to the rest of the world. At the moment there are no rules applying to the rest of the world. That's what we're working for. American citizens should have guns that are suitable for the legitimate purposes that they can prove. I think that eventually Americans will realize that their obsession with arming themselves in fear, in a paranoid belief that they're going to be able to stave off the ills of the world through owning guns, through turning every house into an arsenal, eventually Americans will go away from that. I think Americans who hunt, and who prove that they can hunt, should have single-shot rifles suitable for hunting whatever they're hunting. I mean American citizens should be like any other citizens of the world."

What they want.

Licensing for all gun ownership, based on a series of criteria, including minimum age, training and establishing a genuine reason for needing to own a gun.

Arbitrary police discretion in the issuance of gun licenses;

People subject to domestic violence restraining orders against would be subject to compulsory seizure of all firearms;

All guns must be registered at time of sale or transfer and when the license is renewed;
A 28-day waiting period to buy any gun;

The genuine reason for having a gun must be proven separately for each gun, effectively imposing a limit on the number of guns a person can own

Guns cannot be bought or sold privately but only through a dealer licensed by the State;

Strict requirements on how guns are stored;

Limitations on the type of firearms which can be owned
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם