Opps, a missed chance for more for Gun control!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dr. Winston

Opps, a missed chance for more for Gun control!

Post by Dr. Winston »

Remember the April 29, 1992 aftermath of the Rodney King verdict

Reginald Oliver Denny
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reginald Oliver Denny (born April 21, 1953 in San Pedro, California) is a white construction truck driver who was dragged from his truck and nearly beaten to death by black rioters during the 1992 Los Angeles riots. The attack was captured by a news helicopter, which broadcasted the attack to the entire world as it happened.

On April 29, 1992, at 5:39 PM, Denny loaded his red, eighteen-wheel truck with twenty-seven tons of sand and drove to a plant in Inglewood where the sand was due. He left the Santa Monica Freeway and took a familiar shortcut across Florence Avenue to get to his destination. At 6:46 PM, after entering the intersection at Normandie, rioters threw rocks at his windows and he heard people shouting at him to stop. Overhead, a news helicopter piloted by reporter Bob Tur captured the events that followed.

A man named Antoine Miller opened the truck door, giving others the chance to pull him out. Another man, Henry Keith Watson, then held Denny's head down with his foot. Denny, who had done nothing to provoke the violence, was kicked in the stomach. A man who had led a liquor store break-in earlier that day hurled a five-pound piece of medical equipment at Denny's head and hit him three times with a claw hammer. A man named Damian Monroe Williams then threw a slab of concrete at Denny's head and knocked him unconscious. Williams then did a victory dance over Denny. He then flashed a gang sign at news helicopters, which were televising the events live, above and pointed at Denny. A man named Anthony Brown then spit on Denny and left with Williams.

After the beating had ended, various men threw beer bottles at the unconscious Denny. Gary Williams, a drug addict who frequented the area, approached Denny and rifled through his pockets. Lance Parker, a process server for a law firm, stopped near the body and attempted to shoot the gas tank of Denny's truck but missed.

I guess it's a good thing he missed, or they would have tried to say that 'gun ownership' was the root of the problem?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Rob-Black99RT

Re: Opps, a missed chance for more for Gun control!

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

Why does reading all that make me wish I'd have been there with my AR-15 and Leupold, plus every single mag I own loaded up with 55 grain SP ammo? That kind of stuff just makes me angry to read... To think that there are people who hate others SO much because of their skin color, just waiting for a reason to take out that hatred on somebody, and when they have they opportunity, they're willing to kill them because of it. And, it just snowballs into the mob mentality of "we can do whatever the heck we want and get away with it..." oh wait... we saw all of that in New Orleans, too, didn't we... Wonder why we don't see this kind of thing in Texas and Florida when they have disasters or somebody gets put into jail?

I can't believe the news crew only stayed there FILMING it and didn't try to help the guy... I don't care who you are... the threat of getting whacked by the blades of a helicopter would keep me away from it...

Attempted murder by a bunch of thugs, and NOBODY came to help the guy... IMO, he should have simply rolled over them with his truck, and unfortunately for him, he didn't... Sure would have been a better news report...
- Rob
G30
DWCol

Post by DWCol »

Rob-Black99RT wrote:I can't believe the news crew only stayed there FILMING it and didn't try to help the guy... I don't care who you are... the threat of getting whacked by the blades of a helicopter would keep me away from it...
You've seen too many Mission:Impossible movies. :) I agree that standing by and watching it happen was reprehensible, but a helicopter's rotor is not a weapon by any means (assuming they could even descend low enough to land without striking power lines, buildings, vehicles, etc).
Rob-Black99RT

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

It doesn't take a whole lot to dip the blades to a 6' level when it's close to the ground... I sure as heck wouldn't want to take the chance... Plus, you have that nice tail rotor to swing around... if you want to get REAL close to the ground...
- Rob
G30
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Rob-Black99RT wrote:IMO, he should have simply rolled over them with his truck, and unfortunately for him, he didn't... Sure would have been a better news report...
Yep - for him, at least. Unfortunately then the headlines would have been along the lines of, "The violence was further escalated when a white trucker ran down pedestrians at an intersection..."
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:Unfortunately then the headlines would have been along the lines of, "The violence was further escalated when a white trucker ran down pedestrians at an intersection..."
That would be a "separatist, white trucker mowed down innocent children at an intersection..."
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

TunnelRat wrote:
NavyChief wrote:Unfortunately then the headlines would have been along the lines of, "The violence was further escalated when a white trucker ran down pedestrians at an intersection..."
That would be a "separatist, white trucker mowed down innocent children at an intersection..."
For some reason I was feeling generous...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.