England's gun control as crime control isn't working

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tither

England's gun control as crime control isn't working

Post by Tither »

Link Gun violence in Britain: : Here are recent headlines.
Husband killed as wife danced to Shania Twain song holding shotgun June 1:
Suspect shot after attempted robbery May 29:
Pair held over London double shooting May 25:

And many more

Fearing the police cannot protect them, which by the way is basically true, people apparently are carrying knives, and now England complains of not only a gun culture but also a Knife culture. And they even have a knife amnesty.

Link KNIFE AMNESTY:
in the first week of a knife amnesty. An array of 70 dangerous weapons, including three samurai swords, two machetes, a bayonet, hunting knives, home-made knives, and even a starter pistol, were dumped in collection bins.

There was concern, however, over how many blades may be in circulation in the city at a time when knife crime is on the increase, and officers were called to 85 incidents involving blades between December and February.
Link Carrying a knife is no longer the exception - it's the rule :

Link The recent spate of fatal stabbings points to a growing culture of knife crime, James Sturcke examines what is being done to combat this menace
There has been a series of high profile fatal stabbings in recent weeks that have highlighted the number of people routinely carrying knives and put pressure on the government to tackle what many believe is a growing knife-culture.

The killings include the murder of special constable Nisha Patel-Nasri, 29, who bled to death after being stabbed in the leg with a kitchen knife on May 11. A week later Kiyan Prince, 15, was killed outside his north London school on May 18. They have been followed by, among others, the stabbing to death on May 27 of the 19-year-old university student, Thomas Grant, who was killed after he tried to break up a dispute on board a train.
The moral to this story? Just say no to gun control! :roll:
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם
phirehawk

Post by phirehawk »

If people want to kill someone, they can do it with a spoon (don't ask how, but I'm sure it's possible). The tool is irrelevant, although I would say that it is easier with a gun than a knife, spoon, pillow, doughnut, etc...
- Todd
haspelbein

Re: England's gun control as crime control isn't working

Post by haspelbein »

Tither wrote:[...]Husband killed as wife danced to Shania Twain song holding shotgun[...]
I always knew people in the UK had odd dancing habits, but that pretty much tops it. :roll:

The colloquial term for illegal firearms in Europe is usually something like "Makarov under the table" or a similarly descriptive phrase. Russia is the number one manufacturer of firearms in the world, followed by the European Union. (The US is in third place.) Guns in Europe don't need to travel far.

The UN Small Arms Report (2003) illustrated how large the illegal firearms market in Europe truly is. Even in countries such as Germany that allow private gun ownership, it simply dwarfs the legal sale of firearms. Just because you have disallowed something doesn't mean that it no longer exists.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

phirehawk wrote: The tool is irrelevant, although I would say that it is easier with a gun than a knife, spoon, pillow, doughnut, etc...
I've been killing myself slowly with doughnuts for years. :lol:
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

ArcherAce wrote:
phirehawk wrote: The tool is irrelevant, although I would say that it is easier with a gun than a knife, spoon, pillow, doughnut, etc...
I've been killing myself slowly with doughnuts for years. :lol:
That is related in concept to killing someone with a spoon... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I've been killing myself slowly with doughnuts for years.

Archer Ace, are you a cop?
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Dr. Winston

Guns...

Post by Dr. Winston »

That just again proves that 'GUN CONTROL' is the wrong approach to decreasing violence anywhere!
I have read with interest both sides of the 'gun control' debat over the years and if you read with an open mind, you soon realize that the 'anti's' are protesting out of fear! They take a stance for something that they don't look at both sides (which is A Typical for most 'stances').
Taking guns out of everybodys hands to stop 'violence' makes no more sense that making everyone give up their automobile because they kill more than guns do!
The problem is, everyone wants to put a 'band-aid', on it for a quick fix, instead of going for the root of the problem! Like was already mentioned; take the guns away - people will kill with knives
take the knives away - people will kill with clubs, spoons or whatever
So the 'taking away' of the offending 'tool' NEVER does the trick!

The criminal 'mindset' will never change in our society!!

The criminal will kill with whatever he can get his hands on, so LEAVE OUR GUNS ALONE!

http://www.opinetree.com/guncontrol.html
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

BEAR! wrote:
I've been killing myself slowly with doughnuts for years.

Archer Ace, are you a cop?
No, more of a Homer Simpson kind of guy. :D
airdog714

Post by airdog714 »

Since this is more about England, I'm waiting for the headlines to read,
"DEATH BY TEA CUP".
Riddick fans will get this one.

airdog
The Goverment cannot give the people anything until they have taken it from the people first.
Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

If people want to kill someone, they can do it with a spoon (don't ask how, but I'm sure it's possible).
:P I think Sherriff Nottingham in Kevin Costners version of Robin Hood knew how to do it! :lol:

"But why a spoon cousin...?" "Because it's dull you twit...it'll hurt more!"
Freedom isn't free!
Tither

Post by Tither »

Now England is banning glass because it's a weapon.

Link Pub glass ban faces legal fight
Glasgow saw 59 violent incidents involving glass within a year.
Don’t you get the feeling this banning stuff is becoming a satirical joke in the UK? It is as if we shipped all of our anti-gun loons over there to try to solve their crime problems so they can say. See, gun control does work! I wonder what’s next.
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." -- Patrick Henry
יזכר לא עד פעם
phirehawk

Post by phirehawk »

:shock: :roll: :shock:
- Todd
Dr. Winston

Banning Frenzy...

Post by Dr. Winston »

I would hope that all this shows to a person with any common sense at all is that 'banning' something, just isn't the answer! Believe it or not, most anti-gun (or this or that for that matter) people I know are really quite intelligent!!! Most have some college, so they are NOT STUPID. BUT... they are misinformed! They get on a bandwagon from some fast talker who has a fear that they can 'relate to' and next thing you know they are 'marching with the parade'! However, once you really start to talk to them you realize that it's possible to 'sway' them toward our side, if given the right circumstance. A friend of mine in one of the most vocal, obnoxious, rock & roll, pro hunters known in the WORLD! And he turns anti-hunters blood to boil, which he enjoys! BUT, I have also seen him one on one have an intellectual conversation with them about what hunting actually does for the animal population, and that they 'suffer' less than might imagine, and the next thing you know, this once avid anti is, although not ready to go out and kill or grill somthing, they are at least not understanding our 'right to hunt'!
Most anti-hunters hate the 'kill and grill' in your face it's my right attitude than many 'week-end hunters' display. This is where I think each one of us can better our 'position' by being up on the facts, making sure we don't disobey the laws we are bound to at this moment, and become poster children for the proper attitude for carrying concealed handguns.

Kiss their butts? No way! But massage them with intelligence and slowly shown them the error of their way.

Peace
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington