Felon's hunting

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Should convicted felons be allowed to hunt with a firearm?

Yes, if a non-felon supplies the firearm
16%
No, not under any circumstances
47%
Only to feed their family
5%
If they can't kill it with a bow, tuff luck
16%
I'm not a fellon, so I don't care
16%

Total votes: 38

robbeaudin

Post by robbeaudin »

kurt 10/22 wrote:Should a convicted sex offender be allowed to run a daycare center ?

They have to live with the consiquensis of the decision that caused them to become a convicted felon.
No, I think sex offenders should be locked up for life. So a sex offender can run a daycare center in Ohio? Not in Utah they can't. Even home daycare people have to submit to the same background check that a CCW has to.
Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

I believe a felon would not even be allowed to archery hunt while ON probation. However, a LEO on another board has stated a felon (even after probation) cannot hunt unless he "ties a knife to a stick" for his weapon. That he would arrest any convicted felon for possession of a muzzle loader, or archery equipment, as they are considered "dangerous ordnance" as far as he is concerned.

He also said he has made these sort of arrests before, and they lead to convictions.
Last edited by Redhorse on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom isn't free!
DWCol

Post by DWCol »

Redhorse wrote:as they are considered "dangerous ordinance" as far as he is concerned.
Always good to know LEOs can re-write the law if they feel like it. "Dangerous Ordnance" is very clearly defined by the law, and does not include archery equipment, knives, firearms "suitable for sporting purposes", etc.

There may be something in the law that prevents felons from hunting using those tools, but "Dangerous Ordnance" is not it.
GWC

Post by GWC »

A muzzle loader IS NOT a dangerous ordnance (the word is ordnance, not ordinance). Dangerous Ordnance is clearly defined in the law, and does not include a muzzle loader. However, under Ohio law a muzzle loader is a firearm, so a felon cannot own or possess one. Which means a felon cannot borrow one either.

(B) (1) "Firearm" means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. "Firearm" includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.

As far as hunting felons, I'll leave that to the cops and bounty hunters.
Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

Geee... :oops: ...thanks for pointing out my spelling error :!:

I fixed it... :wink:
Freedom isn't free!
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

I'd say it should depend on the nature of the felony.

Obviously, things like armed assault, etc., result in consequences.

However, things like, say, getting busted for drug use, one time when you were young and foolish... If that same person gets his life straightened out and proves himself trustworthy, I don't see any problem with him getting a firearm later on in life, after he's gotten his "credit" back.

(Yes, that scenario did come into mind due to another thread on this same board. :P)

And sex offenders should be shot, hung, drawn and quartered, electrocuted, and buried. One strike, you're out.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Redhorse wrote:Geee... :oops: ...thanks for pointing out my spelling error :!:

I fixed it... :wink:
I wasn't trying to bust your chops, it just that I see that same error all the time. And spelling and grammar are pet peeves of mine.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Leirahoward, I agree, there are many felonies that should not result in lifetime firearms prohibition. Unfortunately, that is federal and state law at the present time and is unlikely to change.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Also the law has seen the wisdom of considering that people MAY be able to reform, and they can be pardoned, or have their records sealed, or expunged.

I do know some people that made horrible mistakes.....a friends father drove a car for a liquer store robbery, knowingly or not I do not know, anyway he got it expunged...this was probably 40 years ago.

Laws are always a battle between those that would not punish at all, and those that would punish very harshly...and some of what we see as inconsistancies are caused by that adverserial process, and the balance may any time swing the other way again.

Bill
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

willbird wrote:Also the law has seen the wisdom of considering that people MAY be able to reform, and they can be pardoned, or have their records sealed, or expunged.
Not in Ohio. There is no expungment available in Ohio. Records may be "sealed" and that is all. Unfortunately, sealed records can be checked by LEO's and for some applications must be checked (e.g. CHL applications).
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

One of my relatives now has 3 felonies hanging over his head. None of these are fro robberies,drugs,murder,etc.
Every one of them are for domestic violence. The last one he got 30 days in the cerrectional Institue to which they kicked him out after 20 days because they didn't feel this was a serious enough offense to hold hime when there were more dangerouse criminals to be held there.
This man is a LOVER of hunting and has never failed to bring home the meat when he went hunting,be it deer,rabbits pheasants.
When they told him he had a felony it really broke his heart. His guns had to go to his dads house and he can't even get a license to hunt with his dad any more.
These types of felonies should be excluded from the prohibits. i don't think these guys are going to get a license to hunt and then go out and try to kill anybody being the most they ever did was take a buttkickin from the ole lady.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
GWC

Post by GWC »

Thanks to Democrat Senator Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey your relative would be SOL even with misdemeanor domestic violence convictions. For several years now the Lautenberg amendment has barred anyone convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence convictions from owning any firearm. Since some states consider yelling at your wife "domestic violence" there are a great many injustices because of this law.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I knew that part Tommy, BUT I didnt know if it has always been that way or not, the restoration of civil rights allows gun ownership, but apparently not a CHL.

What about a pardon does that totally clear the slate ??

Bill
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

willbird wrote:I knew that part Tommy, BUT I didnt know if it has always been that way or not, the restoration of civil rights allows gun ownership, but apparently not a CHL.

What about a pardon does that totally clear the slate ??

Bill
A Presidential pardon is the only thing that clears the slate. "Restoration of rights" at the state level does nothing to make gun ownership legal on a federal level.

Congress has deliberately defunded BATF's function in restoring federal firearms rights (for years) - they have no money to do it, so they won't. That's why there was a gun dealer on Bill Clinton's laundry list of last-minute pardons; he couldn't get his firearms rights restored in any other way.

Jim
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

Jronjakoh wrote:One of my relatives now has 3 felonies hanging over his head... Every one of them are for domestic violence...

These types of felonies should be excluded from the prohibits.
I'm sorry, but this line of thought makes no sense and I DO NOT agree with your conclusion.

In the future (but not now), you may be able to convince me that a small-time, white collar, "forgot to claim all of my taxes" type of felony can be excluded from the list of prohibitions... but NOT violent crimes.

Our #1 case that we present to the antis is that they shouldn't fear law-abiding citizens. I hope we can continue to make that case.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine