Marines reach out to the NRA

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

THE BIG HAMMER

Marines reach out to the NRA

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

It's just amazing all of the training the NRA gives out.

http://tinyurl.com/bjmov

[Edited to shorten link -- TR]
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

MPs reach out to the NRA

Post by TunnelRat »

The Marines wrote:MPs reach out to the NRA

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Jan. 17, 2005) -- With some fancy footwork and phone calls, military policeman Gunnery Sgt. Robert G. Porter, company first sergeant for Military Police Company, Battalion Service Support Group 1, 1st Marine Logistics Group, was able to recruit two representatives from the National Rifle Association to teach his 19 Marines weapons techniques before their deployment to Iraq this spring.

For more than 100 years, the association has provided generations of Americans with programs focused on weapon safety, education and responsibility.

Now the organization has extended its services to include Marines aboard Camp Pendleton.

“The course trained my Marines to give instruction on the pistol and shotgun,” Porter said. “Now those Marines can train other Marines (in weapons handling) and, if need be, Iraqis.”

Porter said it would give his Marines the proficiency and confidence they need once deployed.

“I wanted to send some Marines to Quantico, Va., for the Small Arms Weapons Instructors Course, but it’s difficult to send them,” Porter said. “Then I looked into civilian agencies, and I found the NRA.”

The NRA is an organization with a reputation for having weapon-savvy representatives, according to Porter.
The Marines know who their friends are...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
GWC

Post by GWC »

I think this is great and all, but..... I'm a bit appalled that the USMC needs to get the NRA to train its MPs. Whatever happened to "every Marine a rifleman".
ArmorMax

Post by ArmorMax »

I think it has something with the deline in our culture with the importance of firearms. 20-30 years ago, youth were shooting or had some famliarization with rifles and what not. Now we have been brady-ed to the point where the younger generation has no experience. The other thing is the drill instructors might not have the required experience for shotguns and pistols. M16s are the main part of the force and proper technique for other firearms is slightly different. That might be the factor of requiring a NRA instructor.
Why CCW?
New Orleans, Tacoma WA Mall, Toledo Riots, Toledo Riots take 2?... more to come
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

When I was in high school, age 16, I spent at least two hours each day on the school's rifle range. They had us learning with iron sighted, bolt action, single shot .22 rifles.

Step One, before moving on to anything else that day, we were required to fire a "dime group". That was a cluster of five shots that could be covered by a dime.

Don't schools teach that sort of thing anymore...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

My reading of the article leads me to believe this was more a "train the trainer" course than actual weapons training.
“I wanted to send some Marines to Quantico, Va., for the Small Arms Weapons Instructors Course, but it’s difficult to send them,” Porter said.
The other thing to consider is that as MPs they have somewhat different requirements from the average grunt. I can attest that training dollars and training time is at a premium. I think this is an excellent "work-around."
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:The other thing to consider is that as MPs they have somewhat different requirements from the average grunt.
They surely do. One of my squad leaders was shot and killed in DaNang by the Navy Shore Patrol because he was in an "off-limits" club. The average grunt shoots enemy soldiers...

[No bitterness here -- I've long since forgotten...]
TunnelRat

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

That's a cryin' shame. Please tell me the squid was court-martialled.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:Please tell me the squid was court-martialled.
Nope. The inquest was quashed by the Navy brass. I was the investigating officer; that's how I know.

Being a grunt was a tough job. No doubt being an MP (or SP) is a tough job, too. But we gotta remember not to shoot at each other...
TunnelRat

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Words fail me.
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

The report shows that the training was done mostely in 'shotgun and pistol'
Surely they take 45 cal. or .9mm pistol in boot but I don't know much about shotgun.
As Chief said it also sounds like 'train the trainer' being they were qualified to teach others including Iraqi police
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
ArmorMax

Post by ArmorMax »

I am no military man, but I like reading and watching tv shows concerning anything military. From what I understand the shotgun wasn't really used much at all. Only in trenches of WW1, Veitnam, and the close in fighting going on in Iraq and Afghanistan were they employed. So the proper use of them isn't convered in basic to my knowledge.
Why CCW?
New Orleans, Tacoma WA Mall, Toledo Riots, Toledo Riots take 2?... more to come
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote:
NavyChief wrote:Please tell me the squid was court-martialled.
Nope. The inquest was quashed by the Navy brass. I was the investigating officer; that's how I know.

Being a grunt was a tough job. No doubt being an MP (or SP) is a tough job, too. But we gotta remember not to shoot at each other...
The military that I remember was full of injustice and abuse.

I think it's appalling that young people volunteer with ideals and expectations only to be basically crapped on by the status quo.

I did my time and left that mess for the lifers to whom it serves.
ArmorMax wrote:I am no military man, but I like reading and watching tv shows concerning anything military. From what I understand the shotgun wasn't really used much at all. Only in trenches of WW1, Veitnam, and the close in fighting going on in Iraq and Afghanistan were they employed. So the proper use of them isn't convered in basic to my knowledge.
I think they used them to smoke dope with too. It was called a 'shotgun'.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

ArmorMax wrote:I am no military man, but I like reading and watching tv shows concerning anything military. From what I understand the shotgun wasn't really used much at all. Only in trenches of WW1, Veitnam, and the close in fighting going on in Iraq and Afghanistan were they employed. So the proper use of them isn't convered in basic to my knowledge.
I can only speak with regard to Viet Nam, I have no other military experience. My first squad leader carried a shotgun loaded with flechette rounds (little nails like arrows). He saved my bacon one time when I was in a face to face with a gook at about ten meters -- shot him fulla nails...
TunnelRat

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

ArmorMax wrote:So the proper use of them isn't convered in basic to my knowledge.
T'was my primary weapon during innumerable boardings in the Gulf. But no, it's not covered in Basic - at least not Navy. Of course, as Sailors we don't we really get much in the way of small arms training at all unless you volunteer for stupid stuff like ship's security force or boarding party...