Home Invasion -- Columbus East

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lr60pilot

Home Invasion -- Columbus East

Post by lr60pilot »

This article hit a little to close to home. I live one mile from the crime scene. If this had happened to you, what would you have done given you have a gun somewhere in the house? Do as the BGs say or make an attempt to get your weapon and open fire?

Link to the article:

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5976371/detail.html
LSC

Re: Home Invasion -- Columbus East

Post by LSC »

<delete>
Last edited by LSC on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whittey

Post by Whittey »

That story is pretty vague, but they did say they grabbed the kid outside the home and forced their way back in. Sounds like a hostage type situation, and I couldn't answer your question without a lot more info.

-=Whittey=-
Rob-Black99RT

Re: Home Invasion -- Columbus East

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

lscronley wrote: I always have a gun on me even with the wife and kid in the house. I have never been in that situation but I would hope that I open fire. I would prefer that instead of risking whatever ideas they come up with.

just my $0.02...
Exactly... my G30 and a spare mag are on my belt from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night. Why waste time trying to get to your gun somewhere in the house when you can simply keep it on your belt and have it ready at a moment's notice. The bad guys sure aren't going to gladly give you a chance to get to it when it's 50+ feet away from you.

You don't wait to put your seatbelt on until you think you're going to wreck, so why wait to put the gun on until you're confronted by bad guys?
- Rob
G30
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Tough to say. It's just been the wife and me for so many years I can't really relate to the hostage aspect. Additionally, unfortunately I can't carry to work - that being the case I wouldn't have anything but perhaps a pocket knife on me, and OC and a 6" Voyager reasonably at hand on my little "stuff" table in the living room. On the upside, it says the Mrs. is still in bed - mine has a .38 in the nightstand she's fairly competent with.

To the original question - goblin's got a gun to the head of one of mine? I will probably comply as long as necessary. I hate it, but I don't see much else to do. If by some chance I feel I can do it without the gun taking off loved one's head I will unload my OC on goblin and loved one. That should buy me a critical few seconds to engage with bare hands if need be.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

I have to agree with you chief. Like here it is always the wife and I But occasionally one of my grandkids Will stay on a Friday or Saturday nite. Pa pa spoils them.
When it comes to loved ones there isn't much choice but would the gunman Really shoot him or was it a bluff. That's not one I would like to contest.
I too (against the wife's wishes) arm from the time I get up till I go to bed.Being it be the .22 mag or the .9 mm.
Hopefully I would not be found in the house and given a chance to take a shot if hostage was released.
P4G it might just be a peashooter but you can bet it would be a headshot.
It was a miracle they decided not to make it a hostage situation when the alarm went off.Guess the wanted NO confrontation with the law.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
Illuminaughty
*** Banned ***

Post by Illuminaughty »

I'm never more than a short skip from an AK-47 in my house. As soon as I saw a gun, people with my kid, and them headed into my house I would've tried to get behind them and open fire. If not, I'd of just chanced an assault from the front and shot above my kids' height. I don't know about you but I wouldn't trust my .45 with a 9 round mag to get me out of a situation where 2-4 people are armed and intent on coming into my house to do god knows what. That's why I keep aks with plenty of ammo around my house.
GWC

Post by GWC »

While my dogs are chewing on their legs to distract them I'd pump a few .357 sig slugs into their chests. Probably lose the dogs because the scum will be shooting them while I shoot the BGs. I don't have a kid for them to take hostage, but if I did the dogs would distract them long enough for me to take a head shot. Never been in a real gunfight, but I always get the BG without hitting the hostage in the shoothouse.

I think my odds will be pretty good because I've taken the time to think out many scenarios. The head of security at work asked me (and some others) what I would do in case of a terrorist incident at work (he must have gone to a seminar or something). I told him I'd been thinking about that for about twenty years and rattled of several plans based on different scenarios. I think I freaked him out a little.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Illuminaughty wrote:...I wouldn't trust my .45 with a 9 round mag to get me out of a situation where 2-4 people are armed and intent on coming into my house to do god knows what.
Yeah, you got a HighPoint, right? I wouldn't trust it either. I feel just fine with my Springfield 1911A1 with its mere 7+1 though. Has this pleasing tendency to go "Bang!" every single time I squeeze the trigger - oh, and the rounds generally go just about where my front sight is. And with 230gr HydraShoks I'm pretty sure I can at least go a long way toward defusing this unpleasant social encounter.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:I feel just fine with my Springfield 1911A1 with its mere 7+1 though. Has this pleasing tendency to go "Bang!" every single time I squeeze the trigger - oh, and the rounds generally go just about where my front sight is. And with 230gr HydraShoks I'm pretty sure I can at least go a long way toward defusing this unpleasant social encounter.
I can second that emotion. I've had a time or two when a box stock, GI issue, government model 1911 .45, (using Army issue 230 gr ball ammunition!) managed to pull my bacon out of the fire -- and that was carrying in Condition Three...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Illuminaughty wrote:...I wouldn't trust my .45 with a 9 round mag to get me out of a situation where 2-4 people are armed and intent on coming into my house to do god knows what.
Navy Chief wrote:Yeah, you got a HighPoint, right? I wouldn't trust it either. I feel just fine with my Springfield 1911A1 with its mere 7+1 though.
I feel quite comfortable with my Hi-Point .45. Shooting bullseyes at 27 yards gives one confidence. No bobbles, either. I'm not saying I shoot only bullseyes, but often enough.

I believe what he was infering was a handgun against 2-4 armed people isn't ideal odds. It's hard to carry a platoon with you, but that would make me feel better. Even if they were armed with Hi-Points though AK's would be better.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
GWC

Post by GWC »

You practise engaging multiple targets, and moving. And get a couple dogs.
Firebrand 1971

cool

Post by Firebrand 1971 »

I just hope I stay calm and collected and look for any opening to grab my .40 Beretta and start shooting...sounds lika a real bad scenario though. Hopefully my dogs would assist like someone else pointed out and regardless of my actions or inactions we all come out allright...
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

GWC wrote:The head of security at work asked me (and some others) what I would do in case of a terrorist incident at work (he must have gone to a seminar or something). I told him I'd been thinking about that for about twenty years and rattled of several plans based on different scenarios. I think I freaked him out a little.
Ya think?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :