Vacationing on Fripp Island, SC

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

David

Vacationing on Fripp Island, SC

Post by David »

I will be vacationing next month on Fripp Island, South Carolina. I have
checked Packing.org and have not found all the answers. I know that Virginia does not allow us to carry in their state, so that one's easy. What about WV, NC and SC? Will I be able to carry concealed in my car? Do I have to have the weapon in plain site like crazy Ohio mandates? I will tell a LEO that I am carrying weather I need to or not. I think that would be the respectful thing to do. No surprises that way. Can you guys (and gals) offer any advice for a safe vacation with a CCW?

Thanks,

David
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Packing.org will show all the states we have reciprocity with, or who recognizes out license. I advise going to the appropriate state page on that site for any state you will be visiting.

While carrying in another state, you must know and follow their laws. Guess what, though? That means no open carry in a motor vehicle requirement!
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

This is the current map on packing.org. I also checked the AG website. I'm not sure why you think we don't have reciprocity with VA. We have reciprocity with Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. If you have an Ohio CHL you can carry there. We don't have reciprocity with West Virginia so cannot CCW there.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
collin

Post by collin »

I carried alright on Hilton Head Island on my Ohio license.
David

Post by David »

Sorry, I knew that is was West Virginia that we could not CCW. I just had it mixed up when typing. I did visit packing.org prior to posting here, I just couldn’t find all the answers that I needed or wanted to confirm the ones I did find. I’m glad we don’t have to open carry in a car like Ohio, but can we? It’s a hassle but I like to have the weapon so accessible if needed. Any other tips or advice is appreciated.

David
meeksja

Post by meeksja »

North Carolina has open carry in vehicle..The weapon must be visible if a LEO walks up. You may lock handgun in glovebox or any other lockable box.

South Carolina does not have open carry in car.
South Carolina Law http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t16c023.htm
SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;
(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee's person and a location specified in item (9);
(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.
(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.
David

Post by David »

meeksja wrote:North Carolina has open carry in vehicle..The weapon must be visible if a LEO walks up. You may lock handgun in glovebox or any other lockable box.
Car/Gun law summary
Date updated: Sunday, March 6, 2005

TRANSPORTING WEAPONS
(From North Carolina Justice Academy, Firearms Laws)

See also: Handguns in Vehicles (NC SHP)
NOTE: This page is INCORRECT! Reciprocity now allows individuals holding a permit from a reciprocal state to carry concealed in NC, this includes in a vehicle. I have notified the NC SHP webmaster as to the error. We will see if they do anything about it.

Do you have a more recent update. I got this off Packing.org

Edited to fix formatting. - Cable
meeksja

Post by meeksja »

North Carolina Statute concerning reciprocity:

§ 14‑415.24. Reciprocity; out‑of‑state handgun permits.

(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state.

(b) The Attorney General shall maintain a registry of states that meet the requirements of this section on the North Carolina Criminal Information Network and make the registry available to law enforcement officers for investigative purposes.

(c) Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state. (2003‑199, s. 1.)

Here's another good law.
§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.

It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)