paxusa / askingsaveskids

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mark

Post by Mark »

I agree kids and guns are a dangerous mix. This is why we need Eddie Eagle for all of our kids.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Mark wrote:I agree kids and guns are a dangerous mix. This is why we need Eddie Eagle for all of our kids.
I sent mine to Kamp for Kids
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

ArcherAce wrote:My kids on the other hand have been exposed to firearms. They understand that a gun is always loaded and they are not to touch it. The oldest has been shooting with me; the younger girl will get to shoot this summer. They know where the guns are, and how to operate them. They also know that Dad carries one. Guns are not a mystery to my children. To them it's an everyday thing. No more special than any other of Dad's tools.

If these kids stumbled across a gun, which one is more likely to get into trouble?
I had to quote this again. Why? Because I recalled a story from my own childhood.

Don't recall the age I was. We'll call it 5. We had mice in the basement suddenly. The solution? Mice traps. But wait! There's children! GASP! So my father loaded one up and used a pencil to trigger it. Suddenly, we were in possession of two half pencils. That was good enough for me.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Back in 1979 I was 12. I use to run through a box of .22s out at my Dads place every weekend. Usually unsupervised.

When I told him I wanted to hunt rabbits, he told me I'd need a bigger gun and handed me a .410. The next morning I woke up early, grabbed some shells and headed out to the woods.

I see 12 year old kids running around my neighborhood now and can't imagine their parents handing them a gun and letting them head off to the woods.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

I was just at the ask website, reading their "info"

I decided that if my neighbor asks about a gun my reply will be:

"Yes! But don't worry, I keep it loaded right here in my holster."

Do you think pulling up my shirt and showing them would be to over-the-top?

This should be fun! :lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

ArcherAce wrote:I sent mine to Kamp for Kids
I'll send mine when they're old enough. (I'll take my kids huntin, so I don't have to hunt for my kids.)
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

I, too, was raised around guns. Never hunted or anything, but my uncle started taking me to the pistol range when I was about 10. I believe guns are MORE dangerous when they are kept off-limits, then the kids want them even more, and when they find them, they don't know how to behave with them because they were never TAUGHT. Obviously, if you've got a lot of strange kids running around your house unsupervised, it's wise to secure your firearms.

If someone were to ask me about guns, I'd probably ask them about alcohol and tobacco...everyone has something they don't want their kids exposed to. :D