Bullet Stop

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dan_sayers

Bullet Stop

Post by dan_sayers »

Wasn't sure where to post this, so here it is.

I'm overall impressed with Cleland's. Friendly staff for the most part, great selection, super-cheap targets... Location's not the most ideal for me and while their range is pretty nice, it's a bit more expensive than I'd prefer. However, what's the alternative? Read about a place called Bullet Stop just east of Toledo/Northwood. Seems like it might even be closer. Can't seem to find info about hours, costs, etc. I plan on getting out there next time I'm up for shooting. Was just wondering if anybody else had been there and can relate their experience and any specifics in terms of prices/times they can recall. Thanks in advance.
ArcherAce

Re: Bullet Stop

Post by ArcherAce »

dan_sayers wrote: I'm overall impressed with Cleland's. Friendly staff for the most part, great selection, super-cheap targets... Location's not the most ideal for me and while their range is pretty nice, it's a bit more expensive than I'd prefer. However, what's the alternative?
Shooting at Clelands is nice, but your limited, and the cost adds up. Not to mention that getting lane after 5pm or on the weekends is almost impossible. You should look into joing a club.

I'm a member at Adams Conservation Club. I started out there for archery, since they have an excellent archery setup. Target shooting out to 60 yards, a broadhead pit, a crossbow range, and a 30 target 3d course that winds through the woods. They also have trap, rifle, a 25 yrd pistol range, a utility pistol range, and a plinking range. There a pond with a beach too, but I've never been over there.

It runs $140 a year if I remember correctly. If you work on a cleanup crew for one of their shoots, they cut your next years dues in half.

If you go there during the day (I see you're on late at night like me) the place is dead. Everyone there seems pretty cool.

They have a website, but I can't remember the damn url!
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Is that on/near King Rd? A friend was telling me of such a place. Said it was worth looking into. Same annual fee as well as the cleanup crew as you mentioned, so I'm assuming it's the same place. He didn't know the name of it though.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

dan_sayers wrote:Is that on/near King Rd? A friend was telling me of such a place. Said it was worth looking into. Same annual fee as well as the cleanup crew as you mentioned, so I'm assuming it's the same place. He didn't know the name of it though.
yup, that's it.

They also have indoor shooting, but I think it's for .22 only. I've never done it myself.

They do allow guests, Dan. If you'd like to check it out one day (hopefully a warm day) let me know. We'll go burn through a few boxes.

Rob
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

The Southern Michigan Sportsman's Club

Post by TunnelRat »

The Southern Michigan Sportsman's Club is on Temperance road about 100 yards east of Douglas. It has a 100-yard outdoor range and a 25-yard indoor range. Memberships costs run about $50/year. You can shoot there between 9am and sunset.

I go there to shoot at least once a week. Nice place. I live in the Old West End of Toledo, so Michigan is a lot closer to me than Clelelands.

Cleleland's is one of the better gun shops in the state. Their gunsmith is a Wilson Combat affiliate, and their selection of firearms, reloading equipment, and bowhunting equipment is second to none in northwest Ohio. I am on their shooters' list, too. The Southern Michigan Club is just a lot closer for me.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Engineer Bill

Post by Engineer Bill »

dan_sayers
here is the web site for the Bullet Stop.
http://www.bulletstopinc.com/range.html
I have used this indoor range quite a number of times, mostly with groups. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM
Bill
Life/Benefactor NRA member, NRA Training Counselor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter; NRA RTBAV Instructor, OFCC member, Varmint Hunters Association member
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Wow, you guys rock! On all three counts :) So very torn.

@Tom: That's a year? And you can just go and shoot whenever (within hours) for no additional cost? If you're in the old west end and I'm in Oregon, then anything closer to you than Cleland's would be to me too. I know Michigan has reciprocity with us. Can you think of any hurdles or differences I would need to know about to help me make my decision? I mean, it's practically made but I'm so knew to carrying that I worry.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

dan_sayers wrote:@Tom: That's a year? And you can just go and shoot whenever (within hours) for no additional cost? If you're in the old west end and I'm in Oregon, then anything closer to you than Cleland's would be to me too. I know Michigan has reciprocity with us. Can you think of any hurdles or differences I would need to know about to help me make my decision? I mean, it's practically made but I'm so knew to carrying that I worry.
*ahem* :P
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan_sayers wrote: Wow, you guys rock! On all three counts :) So very torn.
Yeah, I'm cool...8)

@Tom: That's a year?

Yup!

And you can just go and shoot whenever (within hours) for no additional cost?

Yup!

If you're in the old west end and I'm in Oregon, then anything closer to you than Cleland's would be to me too.

Yup!

I know Michigan has reciprocity with us.

Yup! (Though reciprocity with Michigan isn't really necessary. Michigan recognizes all state-issued concealed carry permits.

Can you think of any hurdles or differences I would need to know about to help me make my decision? I mean, it's practically made but I'm so knew to carrying that I worry.

I dunno, what decision is it that you're trying to make?

BTW, the mailing address for the club is:

Southern Michigan Sportsmans' Club
P.O. Box 341
Temperance, Michignan 48182

Tell 'em Tom sent you...
Last edited by TunnelRat on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

TunnelRat wrote:I dunno, what decision is it that you're trying to make?

P.O. Box 341

Tell 'em Tom sent you...
Well I'm new to carrying. Just wondering if by crossing into Michigan, I need to do anything differently. I should brush up on PDO's Michigan page anyways since I'm so near it. Also, is your inclusion of a mailing address indicative that I can't just go there and pay my dues first time I go to shoot there?
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan_sayers wrote:
TunnelRat wrote:I dunno, what decision is it that you're trying to make?

P.O. Box 341

Tell 'em Tom sent you...
Well I'm new to carrying. Just wondering if by crossing into Michigan, I need to do anything differently. I should brush up on PDO's Michigan page anyways since I'm so near it. Also, is your inclusion of a mailing address indicative that I can't just go there and pay my dues first time I go to shoot there?
Michigan recognizes our CHL so there is no problem. You don't have to keep your firearm in plain sight when you are driving. You can eat in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as it doesn't make more than 51% of its profits from liquor. Yeah, I'd go look at Packing.org's website to be sure you're clear on Michigan's requirements. But it's easy to carry there.

You'll need to write to them and ask them the questions. When you go to the club, there's a good chance nobody will be there. The club lets us come and go as we please. If you write them, you'll be sure to get the right information. I suppose they would mail you out an application if you were to ask them.
Last edited by TunnelRat on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TunnelRat

dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

So how/when/where do you pay YOUR dues?
GySgt JStephen

Re: The Southern Michigan Sportsman's Club

Post by GySgt JStephen »

TunnelRat wrote:The Southern Michigan Sportsman's Club is on Temperance road about 100 yards east of Douglas. It has a 100-yard outdoor range and a 25-yard indoor range. Memberships costs run about $50/year. You can shoot there between 9am and sunset.

I go there to shoot at least once a week. Nice place. I live in the Old West End of Toledo, so Michigan is a lot closer to me than Clelelands.
I utilize the Southern Michigan Sportsman's Club , too. You can't beat the annual fees and it's close to home.
NRA Endowment Member
Fifty Caliber Shooters Association Member
OFCC Member
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

And now that I'm down with Michigan carry, I'm sold. I just need to figure out how to join! :cry: