Checking handgun with airline luggage

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Terry Wolf

Checking handgun with airline luggage

Post by Terry Wolf »

I understand policies vary between the airlines, but, generally I believe you tell the counter person you have an unloaded handgun you want to check with your luggage. The gun is inspected by the clerk to insure it is unloaded, it is locked in a hard sided case, returned to the inside of your checked luggage, ammo is secured in another box or case (in the same piece of luggage?), and you continue the boarding process.

Anyone have any personal experience with this, particularly out of Port Columbus?
meeksja

Post by meeksja »

You are correct, however not all airline agents know the rules.
Here is a link to the TSA rules. Print them out and carry with you to the airport. http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?conte ... 19800ac232

This note at the bottom of the TSA page is important. You will need to contact the airline you are flying to make sure you know their specific rules as some limit the weight of ammunition to 5lbs.
"Air carriers may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition an individual may place in checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the air carrier regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies. "
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

You may be correct.

Not all airlines allow the hardsided case to be placed inside another case. Not all airlines require the gun and ammunation to be in seperate cases. Hell, when I flew Southwest last year, you were allowed to have loaded magazines in the same case!
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
bullet

Post by bullet »

Not all airlines allow the hardsided case to be placed inside another case. Not all airlines require the gun and ammunation to be in seperate cases. Hell, when I flew Southwest last year, you were allowed to have loaded magazines in the same case!
Exactly. I just flew last week from canton/akron with Delta. Requirements were- Unloaded in a hard sided case with a lock. Ammo could be in same case, and had to advise the people at the ticket counter and sign a form that states the gun is unloaded. Delta allows the gun to be in your carry on luggage as long as it is in the stated form above.

Before I went, I called Delta and had them e-mail their requirements. I would suggest you do the same and take it with you to the airport incase any problems arise. Have a good flight!

Edited for formatting. - Cable
medphys3

Post by medphys3 »

I just did this, both American Express from Toledo, and United back from Denver.

1. Print out the TSA rules AND the airline rules and keep them with you.

2. Checking in at Toledo Express was WAY easier and faster than Denver. Mostly because of the low number of travelers leaving Toledo at 6AM, I think.

3. At Toledo, I walked up to ticket counter and told them I needed to declare a firearm. He said ok, had me show it to him and called the TSA guy's to expect me. I kept the ammo in the FACTORY box, in the same case (a locked, standard plastic S&W case) and they had me sign the "firearm is unloaded" declaration tag.

4. I took it to the TSA agent, but he did not look in the luggage. I he said since I declared it at the ticket counter I was ok. He took it and sent it on its way.

5. In Denver I had to go to the "Oversize / Unusual Luggage" check in. Same basic process as Toledo, but we had to walk over to the TSA x-ray center and wait for them to check the bag out. I took a lot longer, mostly because there were "gobs" of people leaving (the Friday before July 4th).

Overall, I had no problems checking the firearm. Just remember to give yourself extra time. And make sure they put a tag in the firearm case.

I will say this; it was a VERY comfortable feeling knowing that when I arrived at my destination, I would be armed. Since I was going to be alone for a couple of days, I felt much more secure. Even my wife made sure I took it.

I also enjoyed walking up to the counter surrounded by a couple hundred people and saying I had to declare a firearm. The words firearm and airport don't usually go together.

Todd
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

bullet wrote:Delta allows the gun to be in your carry on luggage as long as it is in the stated form above.

WHAT???
:shock:

Are you sure about that? I thought federal guidelines prohibited that.

I also checked the Delata website and found:
One item of shooting equipment is accepted as your free checked baggage allowance. (Emphasis added)
Please post the portion of the email you received that says you are permitted to have an unloaded firearm as your carry-on. Did you have it in your carry-on when you flew?
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
DonWorsham

Re: Checking handgun with airline luggage

Post by DonWorsham »

Terry Wolf wrote:Anyone have any personal experience with this, particularly out of Port Columbus?
I flew out of Columbus last Friday on Continental. No problems checking my gun box. It was inside a backpack. The guy at the counter tried to put the declaration tag on the backpack instead of on the gun box. I informed him, he did a quick look-up on the computer "to make sure" and then properly tagged the gun box.

The TSA guys doing the scanning ask if my gun was in a hardsided case and did it contain a declaration tag. I answered yes. They did not open my backpack (in my presence anyway).
_Don_
meeksja

Post by meeksja »

Checked bagagge only for firearm on airlines unless LE.

Directly from TSA site:
Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

Here's the link http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?conte ... 19800ac232

I once had a Delta agent give me the form to carry aboard aircraft as LE. I quickly gave her the form back and asked for checked bagagge firearm declaration form.

Transporting while flying is no big deal. Simply follow the TSA guidelines, follow the Airline guidelines and use a hard sided lockable case. Most airlines want the ammo in a seperate box. Both boxes need to be locked.

You will get some strange looks depending on what the ticket agent asked and if he takes the weapon to verify it's unloaded. I had one guy that brought up to eyeball height to see if it was unloaded. There were some very nervous passengers on my flight.

San Antonio called on the PA system at bagagge claim to let me know they had already carried my rifle to their office to prevent anyone picking it up before I got to the carousel. GO Texas!

Know the rules follow them and you will be good to go.. Print out copies of rules and carry with you..

Here's wishing you safe travel.
bullet

Post by bullet »

Cable wrote:
bullet wrote:Delta allows the gun to be in your carry on luggage as long as it is in the stated form above.

WHAT???
:shock:

Are you sure about that? I thought federal guidelines prohibited that.

Yea, that would be a typo. I meant check in luggage. Sorry for that. Thats what I get for posting when I'm tired.