background check delay... possible reasons?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dan_sayers

background check delay... possible reasons?

Post by dan_sayers »

After months of research, I had finally decided that owning a firearm as well as carrying it was in fact for me. I did some research on course instructors and chose the one I felt was best. I took the class and instantly knew it was for me. The course was very educational and surprisingly gave me a whole new attitude towards guns in general. The next day, I proudly filed my CHL application at a neighboring (and far less busy) county. I didn't want to purchase my gun until I was licensed to carry it because I knew the temptation too would be too great.

A few days ago however, I had to give in. I went to a local gun shop and talked with one of the guys there. I let him know which gun I was looking at, all the accessories I'd want, etc to get an idea of how much money I'd be putting into it all since I would regularly be using it on the range for practice. With no felonies ever and no history of violence, drug charges, etc, you can imagine my surprise when I was tolded that my background check was being put on hold. This was at 9pm on Thursday.

Some people are telling me that they surmise it was just the weekend for that particular establishment. Others are suggesting that the upcoming holidays may be to blame. Others still say that the fact that I'm applying for my CHL and a firearm might be cause for red flag, etc... Does anybody have any thoughts as to why this might be? I'm being told that it isn't necessarily a decline and that I shouldn't worry about it. I just can't seem to help it because I'm almost certain that if it was declined, I may never know the reason and therefore could never correct it. And after bothering with proper research, taking the necessary legal steps, etc. Very frustrating. So I hope somebody might have some information that will help. Thank you for your time in reading.
mtbrass

Post by mtbrass »

Dan, as a long time FFL holder, I can assure you that it's not uncommon to have a delay. I have a couple of regular clients that always get delayed; one is a decorated Vet and is as clean as a whistle yet it happens every time. Perhaps your name, SS# if you included it, or whatever is similar to someone not so clean, and often, I wonder if it's not just to check up on the FFL that he's doing his job properly.
mtbrass

Post by mtbrass »

Also, welcome to the wonderful world of handguns & CHL!
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Thank you and thank you. The FFL holder I was trying to purchase from also suggested that perhaps it has to do with my name and such. For whatever reason, just hearing that it's common feels better. A friend of mine even lives in the same apartment building and I was with him when he bought his first handgun at the same shop and the entire process took about 30 minutes for him. I guess the contrast was just a little disheartening.

Thanks for the welcome though. Just taking the training makes me wish EVERYBODY was more educated; that guns do not equal violence and or evil things. I was actually opposed to guns earlier in life and now you can see me worried at the prospect that I won't be able to own one! Thanks again for your fast reply.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

I'm a resident alien and not a US citizen. I always get a delay, even though in theory the NICS system is integrated with the USCIS servers to validate my immigration status.

Even though it can be a pain in the butt, I would not worry about it, it can happen to anybody for a variety of reasons.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Doesn't it make you feel more secure, knowing that we law abiding citizens have to wait for a background check, while the felons get their illegal guns with no hassle at all...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Have you ever did an internet search of your name? The more hits it gets the more likely a backround check will be slowed down.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Cruiser wrote:Have you ever did an internet search of your name? The more hits it gets the more likely a backround check will be slowed down.
No, but I was once told that there is some pedophile with like 3 dozens counts against him with the same first and last name as me. I think he was in Pennsylvania though.

And I agree. I'm making extra effort and cost to do it the right way and it seems like nothing but hoops to jump through. Hoops I'm willing to, but if they're going to delay it, they should indicate (at least to me) why.
GWC

Post by GWC »

That is probably your problem. They want to be damn sure that you aren't him.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Well whatever it was, it's not related to me personally; it went through. Thought it should. I was just worried because I knew if it failed for whatever reason, it would also fail my CHL application, which means wasted money, etc... Just wanted to let you guys know and thank you for calming me down.

Now if only Clelands had the Bersa .380 in stock :(

Which brings up my next question. Being that the Bersa is about half what the PPK I was originally was going to get was, I was thinking maybe picking up two. One reason was in case I was involved in a shooting and my gun was confiscated temporarily. But I'm being told that in such an event, they would take all guns on me. Is this true? And if so, would it just be because the guns are the same model? Same caliber?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

You know I was wondering just the other day about the same thing?
Which brings up my next question. Being that the Bersa is about half what the PPK I was originally was going to get was, I was thinking maybe picking up two. One reason was in case I was involved in a shooting and my gun was confiscated temporarily. But I'm being told that in such an event, they would take all guns on me. Is this true?
Will they confiscate all your guns? That is every gun in your house regardless of type?
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Based on talk I've read here, probably not unless it was ruled an unjustifiable shooting. But on your person, I could see the logic in it while I disagree with it.
netphoenix

Post by netphoenix »

dan_sayers wrote:Now if only Clelands had the Bersa .380 in stock :(
Gander Mtn (strip mall behind Texas Roadhouse) usually has several Bersa's.

-Chris
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

If, God forbid, you are involved in a defensive shooting, yes, your gun will go on a field trip. It will spend anywhere from a few days to ????? in an evidence locker somewhere. If you can afford two of the exact same model, that would be excellent. Keep in mind also though that your right to carry may - I say again may - be temporarily suspended until the investigation is complete. Even if that were the case, it would still be nice to know you have at the least something to protect the homestead with.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

So very torn. A buddy of mine asked me what I had decided. I told him I had decided not to decide. After leaving, I had decided I wanted to get a P22 as well as a Bersa 380. Now it's looking as if a pair of Bersa's would not only be more ideal, but quite realistic. Let's hope I don't experience a similar delay in background check. Since I just had one pass, it should be expedient, eh?