Virginia governor wants to take a lot of guns

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Virginia governor wants to take a lot of guns

Post by kcclark »

The bozo is pushing a new gun ban that does not grandfather anything. I doubt this is going anywhere since the Republicans control both houses but I find it scary that a governor in a state like Virginia would propose something like this.
the proposed gun-control package would ban the "sale, purchase, possession, and transport" of undefined "assault firearms" including "any firearm that is equipped with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition."
the announcement of the ban did not include mention of any grandfathering to allow what NSSF estimated would be millions of Virginians who already own such firearms to legally keep them.
https://freebeacon.com/issues/va-govern ... residents/
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Virginia governor wants to take a lot of guns

Post by kcclark »

Link for the legislation. Go to line 135 and see how easy it is to take away the rights of US citizens.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... HB2492+pdf
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

This article paints a scary picture for VA gun owners.
The 2009 election is the last statewide race the VA GOP has won. Northam smells blood, the VA GOP is in shambles, and wants to blitz while the going is good. This time I have zero confidence the Virginia GOP will be able to hold this off. Things are looking grim.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... e-n2538536
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I guess the legislation is not as draconian as I thought. "Assault firearm" is defined twice in the legislation. Unless it has a folding stock or can accept a silencer, it is considered an "assault firearm" only if the firearm is "equipped" with an 11+ rounds magazine when you're caught. See line 143.

As for your 11+ rounds magazines, you're basically not allowed to do anything with them. No sale. No transfer. Either move out of state and take them with you or leave your heirs a headache. Line 390.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

kcclark wrote:Unless it has a folding stock or can accept a silencer, it is considered an "assault firearm" only if the firearm is "equipped" with an 11+ rounds magazine when you're caught.
So, almost every AR in existence except for those with heavy barrels & no flash suppressors.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

So the GOP holds a very slim majority, but what are the thoughts and talk of the Democrats? Are they for the Gov's plan or agin' it?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Yesterday ALL the anti-gun bills were killed in committee. One pro-gun bill was passed on.

Bear in mind this about Virginia's State Government:
The General Assembly meets annually, beginning on the second Wednesday in January, for 60 days in even-numbered years and for 30 days in odd-numbered years, with an option to extend annual sessions for a maximum of 30 days. The Senate of Virginia and the Virginia House of Delegates, both bodies of the Virginia Legislature, meet in the historic, working Capitol building in Richmond, Virginia.
Things move at a really fast pace in the G.A.

Here are the bills and their status:

HB 2399, Delegate Lopez, allows police to drag their heels in approving gun purchases. KILLED by a 4 to 1 vote!

HB 2244, Delegate Sullivan, prohibits the possess or transport a firearm for someone committing a crime that is a MISDEMEANOR. KILLED by a 4 to 1 vote!

HB 1956, Delegate Toscano, bans guns during a "permitted event." KILLED by a 4 to 1 vote!

HB 2479, Delegate Plum, Universal Background Checks. KILLED by a vote of 4 to 1!

HB 2285, Delegate Hayes, makes it a felony if an someone under 18 gets access to a firearm. KILLED by a vote of 4 to 1!

HB 2492, Delegate Tran, "assault" firearms that have magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. KILLED by a vote of 3 to 1!

HB 2604, Delegate Ward, One Handgun a Month bill. KILLED by a vote of 4 to 1!

HB 2253, Delegate Pogge, makes State Police issue non-resident CHPs in 45 days (currently taking 5 months). PASSED4 to 2 and heads to full committee Friday morning!

HB 1763, Delegate Sullivan, Red Flag law. KILLED by 4 to 2 after long debate!

HB 1691, Delegate Simon, expands ban on completely-plastic guns. KILLED by a 4 to 2 vote!

HB 1644, Delegate Bourne, punishes gun owner who does not report a lost or stolen gun quickly enough with a fine and opens up civil and criminal liability. KILLED by a 4 to 2 vote!

HB 1992, Delegate Price, bans guns at local government meetings. KILLED by a 4 to 2!

HB 1654, Delegate Rasoul, prohibits loaded rifles in certain localities. KILLED by a 4 to 2!

HB 1856, Delegate McQuinn, bans guns in libraries. KILLED by a 4 to 2 vote!"
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Alan, could I impose on you to explain to my fellow Ohioans how "Lobby Day" in Virginia works? Think it would really be of interest to those who haven't ever taken a peek at state politics over there in the Old Dominion.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I've not been party to it due to my mobility issues.

VCDL Lobby Day - Richmond, Va

2019 VCDL Lobby Day is scheduled for Monday 1/21/19.

Short version: Every year the Virginia Citizens Defense League holds a "Lobby Day". This has been going on, at least, since 2008. Probably longer.

VCDL charters buses to ferry people in from locations all around the state (paid for by the riders, not some out of state billionaire) to Richmond to have face to face discussions with EVERY member of the legislature.
I don't know what this year will be like but one year there were about 1800 people involved.
The group forms up that morning and breaks up into groups of 4 or 5 people and with their lists of talking points they visit each and every member of the legislature and school them on firearms laws, problems with current laws, why propose legislature is good or bad.

There are blogs, facebook pages, and videos of previous Lobby Days. Just Google "VCDL Lobby Day".

I've always found it interesting that the VGOF has fewer members than OFCC (6900 vs. 12298) and Ohio is more populous than Virginia and yet the VCDL lobby day gets much higher attendance than the Party In The Park.

I've had the pleasure and honor of meeting and shaking the hand of Philip Van Cleave the president of VCDL, he's a wonderful, knowledgeable man. I hope he can keep up the good fight for a long time.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I just got an email update regarding VDCL's Lobby Day.

Here's the final list of still active gun bills that will be passed out to all Lobby Day participants.

https://vcdl.org/resources/pdf/VCDL_Gun ... _Final.pdf
AlanM
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for that explanation, Alan. The VCDL Lobby Day is held right in front of the state capitol, right? It's in the front yard of their legislators, during a time when all bills are being considered, as I understand it. And pretty much all the Virginia Representatives and Senators are right there in close proximity?

By contrast, our OFCC PITP is held during the summer, a whole county away from Columbus. It's just not the same.

********************************************************************************
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

The groups go into the General Assembly building and visit each GA member in their office.
Once in recent years there was one representative that had a sign on their door saying they would not accept any visitors from VCDL. That didn't play well.
AlanM
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I have long maintained that there is absolutely no reason Ohio needs to have a part time legislature that takes two years to accomplish anything. Get your stuff done in 30, 60, or 90 days and then go away for the next year and a half. The public will thank you ... no, really, they will. It works really well in a number of other states. I swear Ohio's general assembly is really just a glorified jobs program.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

As great an idea as OFCC had with those Statehouse Visit days (I mean that, sincerely) it's frustrating to know even though the dates are picked well in advance, more than a few legislators never let us talk to them personally. Being brushed off to a college kid staffer sits poorly with me.

You guys know my long-standing philosophy: " If you don't like the music go talk to the organ grinder, NOT the ****** monkey!"

It looks like on Lobby Day in Virginia, most everybody gets face time with the organ grinders.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Apparently the Virginia governor is in a bit of hot water after a photo recently surfaced. The republicans and the NAACP are calling for his resignation. Even if he does eventually resign, the Lt. governor is also a Democrat and allegedly way more anti gun than the Governor.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;