Kasich wants Trump and Congress to enact gun control

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Kasich wants Trump and Congress to enact gun control

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/kasich-bashes- ... kKwclyZlM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kasich’s abrupt reversal of his opposition to gun restrictions is yet another sign he plans to seek the presidency in 2020, either as a moderate Republican or independent. But his new stance is certain to infuriate the NRA, which has a major kick in Republican presidential primaries.

Kasich’s most astonishing shift was with the semi-automatic assault weapons. Kasich asked on CNN if anyone would “feel as though your Second Amendment rights would be eroded because you couldn’t buy a God-darn AR-15? These are the things that have to be looked at. And action has to happen.”

In 1994 as a member of Congress, Kasich voted to ban the production and sale of 19 semi-automatic assault weapons. But when he ran for president in 2016, Kasich called the ban “superfluous and we don’t need laws that are superfluous. It didn’t have any impact.”

Kasich said he has formed a committee “on both sides of the issue” in Ohio to propose recommendations on gun safety. Neither Kasich nor his aides have said who is on the committee.

“If they don’t produce anything, I’ll put my own stuff out,” Kasich said.

David Pepper, chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party, said he was “glad” Kasich is on national TV and “speaking out” on guns.

“Hopefully he’s got some ability to work with the statehouse to find solutions and roll back some of the worst pieces of legislation they pushed through in the last seven years,” Pepper said.

Kasich, who has yet to introduce a bill restricting the sale of guns in Ohio, called on Trump to “lead on this,” adding “this is a great opportunity for commonsense steps that can be taken just in the area of background checks.”
walnut red

I see Ohios Gov is now supporting gun control

Post by walnut red »

Who didn't see that coming.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/politics ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Kasich wants Trump and Congress to enact gun control

Post by rickt »

Also, cleveland.com reports the pro-2A section of his web site has been removed.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... _from.html

I think we can expect any pro-gun bill passed during the lame duck session this December won't get his signature.
Bruenor

Re: I see Ohios Gov is now supporting gun control

Post by Bruenor »

Another view of the same.
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... _from.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pro-gun section scrubbed from Gov. John Kasich's website
A pro-Second Amendment section of John Kasich's website was removed Sunday, after the Republican governor appeared on CNN and said reasonable gun control measures should be enacted following last week's deadly Florida school shooting.

JohnKasich.com, his political website that is separate from his governor's site, had previously contained text and photos illustrating how he opposed former President Barack Obama's gun control efforts and championing Ohio bills that he said removed burdensome restrictions for gun owners, according to screen shots captured by Ohio pubic radio journalist Karen Kasler.

That section had been scrubbed from the website by late Sunday afternoon.

Kasich adviser John Weaver said on Twitter that the former presidential candidate has new views.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

This is the issue with “reformed” politicians. And might be an issue with DeWine.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

rickt wrote:Also, cleveland.com reports the pro-2A section of his web site has been removed.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... _from.html

I think we can expect any pro-gun bill passed during the lame duck session this December won't get his signature.
That's my gut feeling about any pro gun legislation that makes it to Kasick's desk. And with DeWine's past history on gun legislation I expect he will join the band wagon too to get votes. This fall's mid-term elections are going to be focused on gun control and anti-NRA campaigning (of course it's like this every election cycle).
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mr. Glock wrote:This is the issue with “reformed” politicians. And will be an issue with DeWine.
Fixed that for you...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
High Power

Post by High Power »

He is planning a run for the POTUS in 2020 as an independent. He is hoping for a "draft Kasich movement" from the electorate who doesn't like either the Republicans and Democrats. He was floating this story last year but here is the most recent article.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/37 ... t-im-doing

Pay close attention to this interview. He goes to great lengths to criticize congress for "doing nothing." He also promotes the group he has formed from "both sides of the issue." He criticizes both sides for being "broken." If that isn't someone attempting to sound "independent," then I don't know what is. In his mind, he is the only one who can bring this country together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCf3IjIpWw

Kasich's new stance on doing something about gun violence isn't about protecting people; it is all about him getting attention for his POTUS run in 2020.

Here is a picture of Kasich's campaign emblem:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Mr. Glock wrote:This is the issue with “reformed” politicians. And might be an issue with DeWine.
Oh, I rather expect that it will.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Moderator note:

I merged two threads on the same topic. One was from In the News.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

[quote="High Power"]He is planning a run for the POTUS in 2020 as an independent. He is hoping for a "draft Kasich movement" from the electorate who doesn't like either the Republicans and Democrats. He was floating this story last year but here is the most recent article.

All that will do is draw off enough votes to guarantee a Democrat wins.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

walnut red wrote:
High Power wrote: All that will do is draw off enough votes to guarantee a Democrat wins.
No, he won't draw votes outside of his immediate family.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

There was a very good article on BFA site today on John Kasich about his former 1994 position on guns. The last paragraph of the article read,
"The John Kasich of 1994 is the John Kasich of 2018 and the future - a flip-flopping, flop-flipping politician whose instincts are to blame the object and to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners, rather than to focus on the mental health, cultural and even national security issues that are really at play." Gun owners are now getting burnt by their support of Kasich, my impression. I wonder if the same will transpire with gun owners support of Mike DeWine. BFA support DeWine, OFCC support Taylor.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Are we sure he is not related to Joe Manchin ?
I thought Kasich got his butt whipped the last time he voted that way when he was a congressional sewer rat.
These egotistical pol's can't seem to learn that you po the pro-gun people, you lose.
George H.W. Bush, DeWine, Ted Strickland, Tom Foley of Washington, Jack Brooks of Texas and countless others have lost because of their flipping on the issue, and the gun folks sat on their vote.
Like old stubborn-stupid mules, you need a 2x4 to remind them of who is boss.
High Power

Post by High Power »

JimE wrote:I thought Kasich got his butt whipped the last time he voted that way when he was a congressional sewer rat.

Kasich with some of his admirers...

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein