Granite Slab Source?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Granite Slab Source?

Post by deanimator »

Does anyone know where in NE Ohio I can get a 12" x 18" x 1" or 12" x 18" x 2" granite plate?

Any idea on price?

Thanks
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Granite Slab Source?

Post by Cruiser »

Check custom cabinet builders, for there counter top source? Or maybe local tombstone dealers?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I've GOT to ask. Why so thin?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Countertop installers?

Can we ask what you are going to use it for? Might help find the appropriate source.

If you need something like a surface plate then it needs to be thicker. Any place that sells machinery tools would carry them. MSC, Grainger, etc. Even Amazon carries some surface plates.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

There's a place over on W 150th at Emery just as you come over the railroad bridge from the north, Rocksolid Surfaces is the name, but I seem to remember the sign saying RSW. It's at the NE corner of the intersection across from the car shop. Even though it has a W. 150th Street address you enter off Emery. I've seen signs for scrap sales in the past - they might be able to help, never been in personally though.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

AlanM wrote:I've GOT to ask. Why so thin?
This has nothing to do with cabinetry.

I'm looking to upgrade my macrophotography rig, and a lot of people recommend a granite base for vibration reduction. I plan to combine it with an aluminum optical breadboard (looking for a local source for those too).
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:There's a place over on W 150th at Emery just as you come over the railroad bridge from the north, Rocksolid Surfaces is the name, but I seem to remember the sign saying RSW. It's at the NE corner of the intersection across from the car shop. Even though it has a W. 150th Street address you enter off Emery. I've seen signs for scrap sales in the past - they might be able to help, never been in personally though.
Thanks. That's a lot closer than some places.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WY_Not wrote:Countertop installers?

Can we ask what you are going to use it for? Might help find the appropriate source.

If you need something like a surface plate then it needs to be thicker. Any place that sells machinery tools would carry them. MSC, Grainger, etc. Even Amazon carries some surface plates.
I'm looking to upgrade my macrophotography rig, and a lot of people recommend a granite base for vibration reduction. I plan to combine it with an aluminum optical breadboard (looking for a local source for those too).

Any place local? I'm trying to avoid shipping on something that heavy.

Thanks.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

MSC and Grainger are both local.

Grainger looks like it might be a bit more expensive as they are higher quality plates used for precision machine work.

MSC has a couple that might fit the bill if you find nothing cheaper.
12*18*3 - $142.93 - https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00150011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
24*18*3 - $249.15 - https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00150037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSC Cleveland, OH
9177 Dutton Drive
Twinsburg, OH 44087
Local: (330) 405-3200
Fax: (330) 405-3263

Don't forget you'll need a good, solid, heavy table for the surface plate as well.

--------------------------------------

Another option might be gravestone maker/mfg. Know we have one down here in Piqua but in the Cleveland area... I have no idea.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Face

Post by Face »

The basis for a granite slab is macro or microphotography is increased mass to reduce vibrations. I'd look for the biggest, heaviest, chunk of rock you can find, handle and afford.

I've even seen pro rigs with concrete in the bases, just for the mass.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WY_Not wrote:MSC and Grainger are both local.

Grainger looks like it might be a bit more expensive as they are higher quality plates used for precision machine work.

MSC has a couple that might fit the bill if you find nothing cheaper.
12*18*3 - $142.93 - https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00150011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
24*18*3 - $249.15 - https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00150037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MSC Cleveland, OH
9177 Dutton Drive
Twinsburg, OH 44087
Local: (330) 405-3200
Fax: (330) 405-3263

Don't forget you'll need a good, solid, heavy table for the surface plate as well.

--------------------------------------

Another option might be gravestone maker/mfg. Know we have one down here in Piqua but in the Cleveland area... I have no idea.
MSC seems like a good bet if I can pick up the plate in Twinsburg.

Thanks.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Face wrote:The basis for a granite slab is macro or microphotography is increased mass to reduce vibrations. I'd look for the biggest, heaviest, chunk of rock you can find, handle and afford.

I've even seen pro rigs with concrete in the bases, just for the mass.
Any idea where I can pick up an 12" x 18" optical breadboard locally? Shipping is a bear on those too. I don't have the skills or facilities to fabricate one and having one made with threaded holes would probably run more than having a commercial one shipped from Thorlabs.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

http://www.grizzly.com/search/?q=(surface+AND+plate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)+OR+(surface+OR+plate)

Given the prices, shipping might not be bad compared to a local source.

BTW - I have a 12 x 18 x 3 surface plate that I got from either Grizzly or Harbor Freight (who no longer stocks them).
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

AlanM wrote:http://www.grizzly.com/search/?q=(surfa ... +OR+plate)

Given the prices, shipping might not be bad compared to a local source.

BTW - I have a 12 x 18 x 3 surface plate that I got from either Grizzly or Harbor Freight (who no longer stocks them).
Harbor Freight would have been perfect, since there's one only a few miles away.

I'll probably go with the MCS plate, but I have to get a 12" x 18" (or 12" x 24") optical breadboard first, and they're expensive PLUS the shipping. I'm still trying to find a local source.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Don't forget about Used industrial equipment sales when shopping. Never know when you may find a good deal there.

https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisle&fr ... ast_chance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some of those granite slabs are ridiculously huge.

http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inventor ... m=&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.clevelandmachinery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.sitelevel.com/query?slice_t ... d=1y4ktzk3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Optical tables or breadboards currently but inventory changes all the time.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson