Dimmable LEDs in NE Ohio?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Dimmable LEDs in NE Ohio?

Post by deanimator »

Does anybody know a place local to the Cleveland area where I can get these bulbs or something functionally identical?
  • "corncob" type
  • 18w
  • E26 (regular screw in base)
  • daylight color temperature.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-E26-E ... fresh=true

I can't even find them on Amazon, much less online at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Local or Amazon makes things much easier for me.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
AlanM

Re: Dimmable LEDs in NE Ohio?

Post by AlanM »

That EBay price with free shipping from Hong Kong looks to be the best deal.

Considering the prices on Amazon are ten times higher.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_pric ... e-asc-rank
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

You know what sucks? About a year ago I got a six pack of those or something very similar on sale at the Rocky River Home Depot for my grandma's place. I know they were dimmable because she has a dimmer on a hall light outside her bedroom that she likes to crank all the way down and leave burning at night, and those were the only dimmable ones they had in a multi pack.

Have you tried the Batteries Plus Bulbs store in North Olmsted? Failing that 1000bulbs.com has dimmable 18W corn bulbs of all temperatures.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Try your local ACE hardware, they were running a special and dimmable were listed.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:Have you tried the Batteries Plus Bulbs store in North Olmsted? Failing that 1000bulbs.com has dimmable 18W corn bulbs of all temperatures.
I checked them out online, but at least initially didn't find what I needed.

I'm trying to stay as close to the specification that I posted as much as I could, since it came from somebody on photomacrography.net who uses them (modeling lights for studio strobes) for exactly the same purpose as I will be.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Cruiser wrote:Try your local ACE hardware, they were running a special and dimmable were listed.
I've tried them online, but may have to go into the local Rocky River store to see what they have.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:Does anybody know a place local to the Cleveland area where I can get these bulbs or something functionally identical?
  • "corncob" type
  • 18w
  • E26 (regular screw in base)
  • daylight color temperature.

I can't even find them on Amazon, much less online at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Local or Amazon makes things much easier for me.
Mars electric supply may have them. Mars is a wholesale supply company but my BIL has an account there.
Black Rifles Matter
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

steves 50de wrote:Mars electric supply may have them. Mars is a wholesale supply company but my BIL has an account there.
Good call on Mars. Both the Medina and Westlake locations will sell retail OTC, as least they did as of a few years ago. I'm sure the pricing isn't as great as if you had an account, but when I've needed specialty items that the big box stores don't have they've hooked me up.

Not much of a store that you can wander and browse. You go to the counter and pretty much have to know what you're looking for but they know their stuff. One of their specialties is lighting so even if they don't have this exact bulb they can probably point you to something that will fit the application.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

If you are going to use these, you need a dimmer made for use with LEDs. A traditional dimmer will not make these "dim" because LEDs are still bright at power levels that would make incandescent bulbs dim.

In my kitchen, I have six can lights. With the dimmer all the way down, the five incandescent bulbs are very dim. The one dimmable LED bulb is still bright.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-T ... dLEDs.aspx
landrvrnut22

Post by landrvrnut22 »

Mars will most likely have them, if not, can get them very quickly. CED in Cleveland may also, not sure if they will sell retail or not. Graybar will most definitely have them, but you will pay a premium without an account.

For general knowledge, there are 2 types of dimmabel LEDs. Traditional incandescent bulbs use line voltage to dim. Normal line voltage is 120v. If you drop the dimmer to the halfway point, the line voltage will be 60v. However you cannot do that with LED’S, as they step down the voltage internally to 12 or 24v. By dimming the line the voltage, the driver will sense the change, and adjust for the required output voltage.

Incandescent replacement led bulbs will sense the line voltage change and adjust. In most commercial type applications, and becoming common place in residential is 0-10v dimming, There is a pair of wires (typical grey and purple) that acts as a control circuit. The fixture still receives 120v line voltage as well as the dimming control circuit. Based on the control circuit, the driver will adjust to “dim” the led panel.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

kcclark wrote: In my kitchen, I have six can lights. With the dimmer all the way down, the five incandescent bulbs are very dim. The one dimmable LED bulb is still bright.
I should have mentioned that the dimmable LED bulb is dimmer than when it is at full power but still much brighter than the incandescent bulbs.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

kcclark wrote:If you are going to use these, you need a dimmer made for use with LEDs.
These will be used as modeling lights on studio strobe lights. I'm told that dimmable LEDs work just fine on them.