Canadian military now allowed to use pot

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Canadian military now allowed to use pot

Post by M-Quigley »

https://gazette.com/military/head-north ... erail-next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Air Force motto is “aim high.” The new motto for Canadian forces could be “I’m high.”

Under regulations finalized this month, Canada’s military has been cleared to smoke marijuana. The change comes as Canada embraces marijuana legalization, bringing its military in line with the new policy for civilians.

“Cannabis consumption and possession ... is permitted provided such consumption and possession is in accordance with all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial and municipal laws, any applicable foreign laws,” the new regulation says.

The new military policy ends drug testing for pot use and allows troops to smoke marijuana while off-duty. There is a prohibition on pot use 24 hours before using a weapon, flying an aircraft or similar duty.

The biggest exception to the marijuana-friendly policy will keep Canadian troops in Colorado Springs from taking a toke. The regulation forbids Canadian troops on international assignments from using pot.

Colorado Springs is home to the largest foreign deployment of Canadian troops, thanks to the North American Aerospace Defense Command.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Canadian military now allowed to use pot

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:https://gazette.com/military/head-north ... erail-next
The Air Force motto is “aim high.” The new motto for Canadian forces could be “I’m high.”

Under regulations finalized this month, Canada’s military has been cleared to smoke marijuana. The change comes as Canada embraces marijuana legalization, bringing its military in line with the new policy for civilians.

“Cannabis consumption and possession ... is permitted provided such consumption and possession is in accordance with all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial and municipal laws, any applicable foreign laws,” the new regulation says.

The new military policy ends drug testing for pot use and allows troops to smoke marijuana while off-duty. There is a prohibition on pot use 24 hours before using a weapon, flying an aircraft or similar duty.

The biggest exception to the marijuana-friendly policy will keep Canadian troops in Colorado Springs from taking a toke. The regulation forbids Canadian troops on international assignments from using pot.

Colorado Springs is home to the largest foreign deployment of Canadian troops, thanks to the North American Aerospace Defense Command.
I just returned from Colorado where there are hotels that allow pot smoking, but not tobacco smoking. The Canucks there are probably having fits.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

There is a prohibition on pot use 24 hours before using a weapon, flying an aircraft or similar duty.
So they are sure there will be no unannounced sneak attacks? I guess the mobilization bureaucracy will take at least 24 hours to open the gun bunkers anyway... :mrgreen:
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

As a friend said of Canada in the '80s, "It must be nice to not have any responsibilities in the world."
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

How is this different from alcohol consumption. The military is already allowed to drink, but does not mean they are drunk all the time
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

OhioPaints wrote:
There is a prohibition on pot use 24 hours before using a weapon, flying an aircraft or similar duty.
So they are sure there will be no unannounced sneak attacks? I guess the mobilization bureaucracy will take at least 24 hours to open the gun bunkers anyway... :mrgreen:
Also, alcohol will be metabolized within 24 hours unless someone has really been on a binge while THC will stay in the system for weeks. What effect that has on the individual, I don't know, but I suspect that if it does have an effect, political correctness keeps that bottled up.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand