4-Barreled, electrically-fired 6-mm rifle

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

4-Barreled, electrically-fired 6-mm rifle

Post by sodbuster95 »

Army might have found its new rifle in Colorado Springs garage
The Army adopted its battle rifle in 1963 and has spent 55 years looking for a replacement for the M-16 and its variants.

They might have found it in Martin Grier’s Colorado Springs garage. Grier, a self-described inventor who has worked at a local bed and breakfast, built the new “ribbon gun” with a hobbyist’s tools. It looks like a space-age toy drawn by a fifth-grader.

But goofy origins and cartoon-looks aside, this could be the gun of the future. The Army is studying Grier’s gun and has ordered a military-grade prototype.
I admit that I scoffed at this article when I first saw it, both in terms of the content and the look of the rifle. However, while I'm not sure this particular design is going to make it big, the developer/inventor does make some valid points.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Bruenor

Re: 4-Barreled, electrically-fired 6-mm rifle

Post by Bruenor »

They use a mechanical firing mechanism that’s prone to failure.
I think I see more failures in Electronics then in mechanical systems. Not saying there isn't flaws in current designs, but they are easily field serviceable, with minimal tools.
How long does the battery last, what happens when it gets wet, what happens when the electromechanical actuators get dirty or gummed up?

Interesting concept, but there's a reason the 'junk weapons' we currently use are still around. Also a reason the testing is such a grueling process. would be interesting to follow.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson