Woman hauled 4 more tires than allowed indicted on felony

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Woman hauled 4 more tires than allowed indicted on felony

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/ri ... BtrrFryQL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Riverside woman faces a mandatory $10,000 fine or up to four years in prison for allegedly violating an obscure state law that limits the number of scrap tires a person can transport.

Barbara Horst, 57, was pulled over June 15 by a Montgomery County deputy with 14 tires she says she planned to dispose of properly.
The legal limit to haul to a disposal place for legal disposal is ten at a time.
Hyflyer

Re: Woman hauled 4 more tires than allowed indicted on felon

Post by Hyflyer »

Her story (based on limited "news" information) doesn't add up and I feel like those tires in the back of her truck would not have made it it to a proper disposal.

But dang! mandatory felony $10k/jail time. That's a pretty steep punishment for something I would bet 99.9% of Ohio residents are unaware is against the law! (transporting. Common sense not to improperly dispose of)
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Hyflyer wrote:Her story (based on limited "news" information) doesn't add up and I feel like those tires in the back of her truck would not have made it it to a proper disposal.
When the county last fall had a tire disposal day, we hauled about 30 tires from my wife's farm one day and another smaller bunch the next day. Only later were we warned about the legal limit but were told we would probably be okay since we were taking them to a county clean up site.

Ken
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

OhioPaints wrote:
Hyflyer wrote:Her story (based on limited "news" information) doesn't add up and I feel like those tires in the back of her truck would not have made it it to a proper disposal.
When the county last fall had a tire disposal day, we hauled about 30 tires from my wife's farm one day and another smaller bunch the next day. Only later were we warned about the legal limit but were told we would probably be okay since we were taking them to a county clean up site.

Ken
When it comes to a felony and an unknown (the cop that pulls you over) the words "probably be okay" wouldn't be real comforting to me.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

M-Quigley wrote:When it comes to a felony and an unknown (the cop that pulls you over) the words "probably be okay" wouldn't be real comforting to me.
Oh I definitely agree!

The county is having a scrap tire collection again this month. No where on the announcement is there any note about the ten tire limit! That is sad :shock:
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

OhioPaints wrote:The county is having a scrap tire collection again this month. No where on the announcement is there any note about the ten tire limit! That is sad :shock:
They should just title it a "Tire Buy Back" event, and then all incidental misdemeanors and felonies can be excused under the guise of no questions asked.