Two alarm fire at Casa Evan Price

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Two alarm fire at Casa Evan Price

Post by evan price »

I have a half dozen old cars I'm keeping to prep for future demolition derby. Yesterday I was putting batteries in them, airing up tires, digging out the wheels, to get them moved to mow where they were parked. It was a long hot process that took most of the afternoon.

Mrs Price took Son out school supply shopping. I then had to head out to take Daughter to meet a friend and drop them at the movies.
Then i took a mower to a customer in Cardington.

Came home to find a two alarm fire on my property. Four engines, tanker, squad, sheriff, brush fire truck.

Neighbor said flames were higher than the barn which is two stories tall. She said they'd seen smoke but thought I was burning rubbish everyone does out where I live.
Then they heard an explosion and saw big fire and smoke.

The opinion of the fire department was that mice had chewed the wiring in one of the cars to the point an electrical short circuit started the fire. I'd left the batteries in the cars while working on them. Then as the car burned the fire jumped to the adjacent cars, and so on.

We don't have hydrants so they were going to set up a tanker shuttle and drop tank to the fire house hydrant two miles away.

They got it extinguished before it spread into the trees and barn. Thank God for that.
We lost four derby cars, my 86 Toyota 4x4, two riding mowers, a garden tiller, some miscellaneous stuff.

Temp was in the 90s with a heat index of 100. They had the squad bring ice water. FD responded from our department and mutual aid in Cardington. It was hot enough it melted the aluminum wheels off of the cars.

Concern of the sheriff was the explosion, which they think was a bursting tire or an air bag now, they were worried I'd been torch cutting and was trapped under a car maybe, since nobody knew where I was.

It could have been worse.
I'm thankful.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Two alarm fire at Casa Evan Price

Post by Javelin Man »

:shock: Ouch!!! Glad all are safe!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

"Brush fire truck" was new to me. I see they can go places regular trucks cannot.

http://deepsouthfiretrucks.com/trucks/s ... epartment/

Glad to hear your structures were untouched.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

kcclark wrote:"Brush fire truck" was new to me. I see they can go places regular trucks cannot.

http://deepsouthfiretrucks.com/trucks/s ... epartment/

Glad to hear your structures were untouched.
Depts. around here have them for farm field fires, happens during harvest season.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Usually, other than a nearly empty gas tank (more dangerous because of more oxygen available) the real danger of a burning vehicle is the tires exploding.

You would be amazed at the statistics concerning deaths caused by heavy duty truck tires popping over rims during installation / bead seating in truck tire shops.

Passenger tires are just slightly less dangerous.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Extremely happy that the barn escaped injury and it was nowhere near the house and nobody nor any animals were harmed. Must have been some situation to brief the wife on upon her return.

Sometimes people freak out or think I'm lying when I tell them that I have had six fires. :shock: It's the truth. Only one produced an injury... only four required emergency response... only five required insurance recompense. Only two were absolutely my fault, although we could argue three as I take responsibility for three.

The most recent one was more than a decade ago, I am DONE having them, and I sincerely hope the same for you, Evan.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

AlanM wrote:Usually, other than a nearly empty gas tank (more dangerous because of more oxygen available) the real danger of a burning vehicle is the tires exploding.

You would be amazed at the statistics concerning deaths caused by heavy duty truck tires popping over rims during installation / bead seating in truck tire shops.

Passenger tires are just slightly less dangerous.
I worked as a tire tech once upon a time and still own my own tire machine. Compressed air is no joke, and multi piece rims can kill you dead if you don't service then right.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.