Ohio State Fair and RKBA

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Ohio State Fair and RKBA

Post by bignflnut »

I'm blessed to be headed to the Ohio State Fair for the first time this week (parking in the vendor/exhibitor area).

Please help me understand what is off limits, what the security protocol is, how long it will take to get in the door, what exhibits to visit, what to avoid...what's the 411?

How shall I be genuflecting to "public safety"?
How should I comport myself while being able to protect those in my party?
Door's wide open...what am I getting into?
Thanks in advance.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Ohio State Fair and RKBA

Post by bignflnut »

Conditions for Admission

The safety of our fairgoers, exhibitors and employees is our number one priority. In an effort to ensure the highest level of safety and security, please do not bring any illegal weapons or substances to the Fair. Prior to entry, you will be asked to walk through a magnetometer. Purses, backpacks, book bags, coolers, strollers, etc. are permitted, but are subject to search. Bag searches will also be conducted for guests entering concerts and events in the WCOL Celeste Center. Several items are expressly prohibited at the Ohio State Fair, including: the use of bicycles in non-parking areas, the possession or use of Segways/hoverboards, and the use of unmanned aircraft systems (drones). Bicycle parking racks are located at the Cardinal Gate, OHIO Gate and Gate 10 (17th Avenue). You may bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages. Glass bottles and containers are not permitted on grounds.
Illegal Weapon?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

bignflnut wrote:
Conditions for Admission

The safety of our fairgoers, exhibitors and employees is our number one priority. In an effort to ensure the highest level of safety and security, please do not bring any illegal weapons or substances to the Fair. Prior to entry, you will be asked to walk through a magnetometer. Purses, backpacks, book bags, coolers, strollers, etc. are permitted, but are subject to search. Bag searches will also be conducted for guests entering concerts and events in the WCOL Celeste Center. Several items are expressly prohibited at the Ohio State Fair, including: the use of bicycles in non-parking areas, the possession or use of Segways/hoverboards, and the use of unmanned aircraft systems (drones). Bicycle parking racks are located at the Cardinal Gate, OHIO Gate and Gate 10 (17th Avenue). You may bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages. Glass bottles and containers are not permitted on grounds.
Illegal Weapon?
I prefer the term "undocumented weapon". (j/k) I'm guessing they mean concealed weapons not covered by a person with a CHL.

I've not been to the fair to give you first-hand info, but as I understand it as you prepare to enter and pass through the magnetometer you would simply inform the OSHP officer that you have a license and are carrying (assuming you are carrying concealed). Once in the fairgrounds, buildings are off-limits if carrying concealed (except those that are primarily shelters or restrooms). Presumably, those buildings where concealed carry is prohibited would be properly posted with the required signage.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

OSHP has their training center there!
So the blue shirted folks only have radios, not the full duty belt. They will bracelet your kid so that if you lose your kid....

OSHP was dancing and laughing with one another, downright giddy to be checking bags, coolers, 4H projects, ect as you pass through the metal detector (which sometimes caught my cell phone, but didn't sometimes, also).

I'm certain a firearm would not go over well...all the buildings are posted, but if one was inclined to smuggle one in, it wouldn't be that difficult.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote: I've not been to the fair to give you first-hand info, but as I understand it as you prepare to enter and pass through the magnetometer you would simply inform the OSHP officer that you have a license and are carrying (assuming you are carrying concealed).
And in Kentucky, that is the same basic procedure one uses to go inside their Statehouse while armed. (Well in Frankfort it would be the KSP that is doing security, of course, not the OSHP.) Ohio still has a long, long, long way to go regarding gun rights.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Ohio still has a long, long, long way to go regarding gun rights.
Agreed. The fight continues.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It's fun to watch the face of the younger Troopers when you walk through the metal detector while open carrying.

"Um. You can't go in any of the buildings while armed."

"Okay.Bye.Thanks."

:)
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It's fun to watch the face of the younger Troopers when you walk through the metal detector while open carrying.

"Um. You can't go in any of the buildings while armed."

"Okay.Bye.Thanks."

:)
I've heard that some are of the same opinion as CoL that you *can* carry in buildings while open carrying. Have you encountered that?
NRA Life Member