ID Requirement from LEO

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

ID Requirement from LEO

Post by WeinerDog »

I would like to know if not being required to show ID unless the officer has RAS is just an Ohio statute or the law of the land.
I get upset watching police shows and officers asking passengers for ID when they said into the camera that they are pulling the guy over for a broken taillight. I know it’s a fishing expedition but why would it be legal to ask passengers for ID when only the driver has committed any infraction at all.
I was watching YouTube videos of open carriers and they ask for ID of a companion holding a camera so not only are they harassing a lawful citizen committing a lawful act but also a companion not even holding a weapon.
The LEO always seemed stunned by the person refusing to ID themselves and you can tell their training did not prepare them for such an incident.
JediSkipdogg

Re: ID Requirement from LEO

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Police can ask and say anything they want. The courts have ruled that way numerous times. It's up to the person if they want to believe the officer. The ole "we have video showing you at the crime scene" is a classic. It doesn't matter if the video exists or not. If you then change your story and admit to the crime, that's good enough for the courts.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Different states have different ID requirements. They can be more or less stringent than Ohio law. There is no Federal law as far as I know.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:Different states have different ID requirements. They can be more or less stringent than Ohio law. There is no Federal law as far as I know.
While true, I'm pretty sure there is no requirement in any state for a passenger to ID themselves unless they are committing some violation themselves.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Or legally carrying a handgun while a passenger
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Different states have different ID requirements. They can be more or less stringent than Ohio law. There is no Federal law as far as I know.
While true, I'm pretty sure there is no requirement in any state for a passenger to ID themselves unless they are committing some violation themselves.
Recall that in Ohio, you are required to identify yourself if you are a witness to a crime, you don't have to have committed one or be suspected of one.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:Recall that in Ohio, you are required to identify yourself if you are a witness to a crime, you don't have to have committed one or be suspected of one.
While true, I don't want to lose the distinction of OP's point. A witness is not required to show ID. Verbally stating one's name, address, and (usually) DOB is sufficient.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Unless engaged in certain specific activities (driving, carrying a concealed handgun, etc.), Ohio doesn't even require you to HAVE ID.

Apart from those exceptions as stated previously, WHERE REQUIRED BY LAW, verbal identification is sufficient.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.