Chinese allegedly develop laser rifle

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Chinese allegedly develop laser rifle

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/national/chin ... E5flgcXaK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The ZKZM-500 laser assault rifle, while classified as a nonlethal weapon, can strike a target from a half-mile away, causing “instant carbonization of human skin and tissue,”
The weapon produces a silent, invisible “energy beam” that cannot be seen with the naked eye, but can pass through windows and is “able to burn through clothes in a split second” and set a person on fire, according to the newspaper.

The gun is described as a box-shaped assault-style weapon that looks more like a toy gun than a sleek “Star Wars” blaster, Live Science reported. It’s a 15 mm caliber gun that weighs more than 6.5 pounds and could be mounted on cars, boats or planes. It’s powered by rechargeable lithium batteries and can shoot more than 1,000 laser shots, lasting about 2 seconds each, according to the Post.

The laser could be used to set banners on fire during protests the government deems to be illegal. It could also be used in covert military operations or in the event of a hostage situation, according to Chinese authorities.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Chinese allegedly develop laser rifle

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Still looking for a "Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range. " But this will do. :D

Pretty wild, if true and actually man portable this will change pretty much everything in armed conflict.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

15mm is over a half an inch diameter. 1000 two second shots out of a 6.5 lb weapon?

Even if the power pack were really on the man's back, separate from the gun, that would still be a HUGE breakthrough in battery power density.

Take a look at this laser welder and read the accompanying text. Beam diameters are in the range of .008" to .015" NOT .500"
and to even do that required massive equipment and special focusing.

A .45 ACP round has a typical muzzle energy of 500 joules. That's equal to 500 watt seconds. So if lasers are as effective as kinetic weapons and a two second laser shot (on the same location on the target) would indicate a 250 watt beam assuming 100% efficiency.
That implies, at minimum, a battery with a 500,000 watt-second capacity. That's 1389 watt hours or, at 12 volts, 115.7 amp hours.

A standard small car battery is about 45 amp/hours. That means that it will supply over two amps for 20 hours. A battery should not be discharged at a higher current draw, or asked to deliver more amps than its amp/hour rating divided by 10 in order to get maximum capacity out of it. And weighs approximately 35 lbs.

I seriously doubt that the Chinese weapon is real. At least not as reported. It could easily be a lower power beam meant to blind opponents. Particularly drivers and pilots.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

AlanM wrote:I seriously doubt that the Chinese weapon is real. At least not as reported. It could easily be a lower power beam meant to blind opponents. Particularly drivers and pilots.
While I lack anything approaching Alan's apparent knowledge of lasers and batteries, I agree that this is "laser rifle" is highly unlikely.

I mean...they claim they can build a man-portable battery capable of this amount of sustained energy, yet cannot develop a smartphone that lasts more than a day on a single charge?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

sodbuster95 wrote:
AlanM wrote:I seriously doubt that the Chinese weapon is real. At least not as reported. It could easily be a lower power beam meant to blind opponents. Particularly drivers and pilots.
While I lack anything approaching Alan's apparent knowledge of lasers and batteries, I agree that this is "laser rifle" is highly unlikely.

I mean...they claim they can build a man-portable battery capable of this amount of sustained energy, yet cannot develop a smartphone that lasts more than a day on a single charge?

LOL!
Why did I go to all the trouble of making my verbose post when you summed it up in one sentence?
WELL DONE, SIR!

BTW the largest lead acid battery I've been intimately familiar with had 126 cells. Each cell weighed about 1900 lbs and contained about 5 gallons of electrolyte. It was rated at 6000 amp hours.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

sodbuster95 wrote: I mean...they claim they can build a man-portable battery capable of this amount of sustained energy, yet cannot develop a smartphone that lasts more than a day on a single charge?
I wonder what kind of malware this rifle will come with.........
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that another Chinese company has copied the technology and will be selling it on Amazon and Ebay. :roll:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ More like Alibaba.....

Minimun QTY = 10,000. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio