Need Optometrist who shoots rifles near Cleveland, Ohio.

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Need Optometrist who shoots rifles near Cleveland, Ohio.

Post by JU-87 »

I'm looking for a Optometrist who shoots rifles near Cleveland, Ohio.

I'm in my mid fifties, and my eyes are changing. I went to a scope for High power, and that works. But I still want to compete with the "wood guns" and the iron sights are getting more difficult. I would like a corrective lens for my "Knoblach" shooting glasses also.

Thank you in advance for any help.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Need Optometrist who shoots rifles near Cleveland, Ohio.

Post by Mr. Glock »

I am not an optometrist but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night......

No, but seriously, have you looked into the magnifying inserts for iron sights? I ran into some old traditional high power guys who swear by them. Not my gig, but might work.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

My optometrist is not a shooter, but he didn't blink when I asked for a prescription with a focal distance to my front sight for competitive shooting. I explained exactly what I wanted and the distance to the front sight focal point (I did not bring a firearm into his office, and I do not recall noticing the office being posted but I wasn't really looking) Gave him the prescription insert frames from my ESS Eyepro shooting glasses and they fit the lenses to the frames I provided.
I'm due for lenses again this year I think I'm going to switch up the prescription and go with a focal distance of the front sight for my dominant eye, and long range for my non dominant eye, instead of both eyes at the front sight focal distance(That was my mistake).

Since the shooting prescription is a 'single vision prescription' (no bifocal, progressive, etc..) polycarbonate lenses with UV block and anti-glare, was reasonably priced imo.

As long as you mention it at the time of the exam, he will write both your normal prescription and a custom prescription for whatever special request you may have, There was no additional charge for the second adjusted prescription and related work in the exam.

He also does the computerized eye mapping for a very reasonable fee, if you are familiar with that service.

Erie Optical in Mentor
Dr Waldman
http://erieoptical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of luck in your search
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

Have you tried a red dot style sight? I've got the same issue with rifles (but not pistols) and the sights being a little less than clear. It's not a problem with a red dot for me though.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Mr. Glock wrote:I am not an optometrist but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night......

No, but seriously, have you looked into the magnifying inserts for iron sights? I ran into some old traditional high power guys who swear by them. Not my gig, but might work.
:) Thank you, I have an optic on my match AR-15, which is now CMP legal. I also shoot M1 Garand, M1903A3, and Swiss K-31(vintage bolt action class). It would not be practical or likely "legal" to use a sight insert on these.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Bruenor wrote:My optometrist is not a shooter, but he didn't blink when I asked for a prescription with a focal distance to my front sight for competitive shooting. I explained exactly what I wanted and the distance to the front sight focal point (I did not bring a firearm into his office, and I do not recall noticing the office being posted but I wasn't really looking) Gave him the prescription insert frames from my ESS Eyepro shooting glasses and they fit the lenses to the frames I provided...

...He also does the computerized eye mapping for a very reasonable fee, if you are familiar with that service.

Erie Optical in Mentor
Dr Waldman
http://erieoptical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of luck in your search
Thank you very much for this info. :)

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I posted this a couple of years ago on another gun/shooting/personal protection forum in response to the same subject.
Edits to that post made today will be in blue.

Assuming that you will be shooting/hunting in reasonably bright light there is a much less expensive solution.
What you need to do is "stop down" the aperture (pupil) of your aiming eye.
I have a clip on disk with 12 different sized holes in it that attaches to my glasses frame that I can sight through and see rear sight, front sight, AND target in focus.
What looking through a small hole does is increase the "depth of field" of your vision. The smaller the hole the greater the depth of field but at the cost of the view being less bright.
Basically a peep sight does this also.

Currently I can only find two products on the market that addresses this.
One is a relatively expensive device that attaches to your glasses (safety glasses if you don't wear corrective lenses) which I don't have a link for at this time.

The other is the EyePal® product which is $30 for two pieces of black self-stick film with holes punched in the middle of them that are to be stuck on your prescription lenses or on the surface of your safety glasses.
http://www.eyepalusa.com/

I have done some shopping online and come up with a shopping list that totals close to that $30 mark and provides you the ability to initially make several hundred of these devices with different apertures (the smallest not as small as I'd like at the current time).

Since the EyePal® product name is registered and the device patented (how do you patent a piece of plastic film with a hole in it????) I'm hesitant to publish this shopping list but I'll send it to you if you PM me.

Or you could do what I did and search online for thick black self stick film, 3/4" or 1" circle punches, and a set of small leather hole punches.

I do NOT suggest that you buy the things on my list and then go into competition with the EyePal people selling these, however if a club were to invest in the stuff and give away the dots with holes in them I doubt that they would be in violation of the patent.

Something just occurred to me. Something that has been advertised on TV lately.
Self stick bifocal lenses.
These are $15 from WalMart
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.